AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by fellix, Oct 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Kyyla

Veteran

Damn I might have to buy B-die ram one of these days.

Lightman likes this.
  2. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

I just finished testing the 1700 @ 3.0GHz (a 1.0GHz difference) with ram at 3466 LL and added the results to the previous charts, be prepared for some interesting results.

3. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

The results:

RotTR:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FC Primal:
    [​IMG]

Hitman:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#2363 Clukos, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    T1beriu, Cyan, Lightman and 2 others like this.
  4. Dygaza

Newcomer

Looking at that performance of 1GHz difference, it kinda looks to me that even 3466 14 LL settings ain't fast enough to keep 4GHz chip fully fed. Thus additional clockspeed has bad efficiency.

Ryzen core is strong, but needs stronger memory than is currently available for the platform, to run at it's full speed.

5. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Yup, Ryzen would probably scale up to 4000+ with tight timings. They really need to work on that IMC to get faster ram supported.

Mize likes this.
  6. Dygaza

Newcomer

Yeah, and this kinda answers the theoritical question, if we would have Ryzen that could run at 5GHz. We simply wouldn't see great efficiency from additional clockspeed, until AMD improves their memory subsystem even further, to simply feed the beast.

Quess this is one of the low hanging fruits for zen2/3?

7. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

I'm not sure I'd call this low hanging, although it will likely come with Zen2/3 simply from faster tech in the future.

These results do make me want to see a design with HBM. Even lower timings and say 2x the bandwidth with out accounting for future changes. Get 32GB on a Threadripper with 1TB/s and life would be good.

Lightman likes this.
  8. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Just finished testing 1500x and 1600 (by disabling cores in the BIOS, 3+3 and 2+2 settings used) with the new BIOS and tighter settings on the 3466 LL (it's LL+ now :)). These results cannot be compared with the previous results, I'll have to retest the 1700.

1500x:
    Rise of the Tomb Raider(Dx12):
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hitman(Dx12):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Far Cry Primal:
    [​IMG]

1600:
    Rise of the Tomb Raider(Dx12):
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hitman(Dx12):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Far Cry Primal:
    [​IMG]

Edit: 3466 LL+ timings if anyone wants to try them out: https://abload.de/img/timings5by9x.png

#2368 Clukos, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

AMD is low? It's at 5+ year highs right now!
    As for Barclays, if they really did publish negative forward looking as a way to drive down prices on options, that would be illegal. But I'm confused on terminology since options are a frozen price that's either above water or not.

It'll be interesting to see if they do increase their position after calling for a $9 share price while it's trading around $14.

The real question is whether Vega will hurt share price and how much.

#2369 Mize, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    BRiT and digitalwanderer like this.
  10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Why do we think Vega will hurt AMD? (Honestly curious, I haven't been keeping up as well as I should)

11. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Wall Street is emotional and shallow. I've seen stock prices soar or plummet based on a news article that rehashed old news about company intellectual property. Literally nothing had changed but the rehash of old news drove the share price changes for hours or even a few days.

So when Vega RX reviews hit they're likely to talk about being 1.5 years behind nvidia with higher power and heat, etc. Already one opinion piece called Vega "appears to be stillborn," though that hasn't had any impact afaik.

BRiT, Lightman and digitalwanderer like this.
  12. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Thanks, appreciate the update. :)

13. hoom

Veteran

Back to this because someone posted the famous old 'Fuad fake' in the Vega thread
    [​IMG]
    Knowing what we know now that sure looks a lot like a Threadripper & a Vega glued-together doesn't it? :runaway:

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Yep, only things wrong with it are the fact that it says Zeppelin when there should be 2 and Greenland surely can't be mere "4+ TFLOPS" if it's supposed to be "highest performnace gpu". Other than that, all the codenames and such are real, confirmed much later than Fuad leaked the slide

15. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Matching a 7700k 4.7Ghz + 1080 sli setup on Hitman at 1440p using the exact same settings:

Exact same frame:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The video:

Only difference is I'm running 3466 LL+ and he is running 3200CL16 (using XMP most probably). Seems like memory performance is a limiting factor for Intel systems as well. I'm using the 1700 @ 4.0GHz and a 1080 Ti, both should be below a 1080 Sli setup pared with an overclocked 7700k.

#2375 Clukos, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  16. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

"Zen2" (or maybe Zen+ since Zen2 is 7nm?) with upgraded IMC may come as early as Q4 2017, within the Raven Ridge APUs.
    Notice how they mention "Next-generation Zen Core" and official support for 3200MT/s DDR4 with ECC, in the slides describing Great Horned Owl and Branded Kestrel:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Whereas they only mention "Zen" when talking about Snowy Owl /Threadripper that only supports 2667MT/s DDR4 ECC:

[​IMG]

digitalwanderer and Clukos like this.
  17. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Not sure we should read much into that considering server parts typically use slower clocked parts for stability and to lower heat output.

T1beriu likes this.
  18. kalelovil

Regular

The memory controller is said to be (IIRC by The Stilt) very similar to the one in previous generation's Carrizo/Bristol Ridge. It is supposedly based on Synopsys off-the-shelf IP.

A conservative memory controller design for Ryzen v1 seems logical given how much else was new (process and architecture-wise).
    (Particular in light of Vega's more cutting-edge memory subsystem appearing to not pan out as hoped)

19. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

20. Pressure

Veteran Regular

It could come in a brown paper bag with a plastic tray for all I care :p