AMD Radeon R9 Fury reviews

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by fellix, Jul 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pharma

Veteran Regular

2. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

DigitalFoundry's full review is out. Cards look heavily bottlenecked at 1080p with 390X neck and neck with Fiji chips in some games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-amd-radeon-r9-fury-review

Two important takeaways for me,

and,

So, the front-end seems to be the bigger culprit than CPU bottleneck and apparently the 15.7 do have improvement for FC4 as that hardwarezone guy saw, but not where it matters the most for Fury.

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Unlikely that you'd have seen Mantle / DX12 test gains if that were the case.

Even at 1080p a lot of titles are not going to be 100% CPU bound, there are going to be frames, or parts of frames, that are still GPU bound. This is why the old B3D fillrate graphs were so useful...

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah those were pretty cool. If only B3D still did reviews....

Alexko, RecessionCone and Lightman like this.
  5. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

Well, digitalfoundry actually were the ones going on strongly about how AMD's dx11 drivers aren't upto snuff. Their usage of the draw calls bench was posted a couple of months back along with reviews pairing similar performance AMD and nvidia cards with i3.

Techreport do use B3D tests, and I think hardware.fr are quite comprehensive with their test suit, but the question would be then how to go about distinguishing the CPU bottleneck from the bottleneck within GPU. I remember it being rather clear cut with 5870 and 5770 tying due to heavy usage of tessellation in some game.

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

It's not just the tests it's how you present the data. The correlation between measured fillrate and resolution is a good indicator of where the bottleneck lies. High correlation = cpu or frontend bottleneck. Low correlation = ROP or shader bottleneck.

7. pharma

Veteran Regular

8. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

#68 Rys, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    tabs, homerdog, Razor1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Project Cars is not an isolated incident and I don't think we should pretend it is. I've had a 970 (formerly 670) running beside a 7950 for some years now and I can say with absolute certainty that NVIDIA has better support of new games.

A while back I stopped buying games on release day for other reasons but I've found that the AMD card can have issues in some games even weeks after release. It's rare but it happens.

pharma likes this.
  10. lanek

Veteran

Its funny, when i read his 99th percentile results vs the one made with FCAT on other review ( like the Guru3D one as example ), i dont know.. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_fury_strix_review,27.html The only problem i see is on the witcher3.. nothing who couldnt be fixed

11. pharma

Veteran Regular

12. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Like I mentioned before
    , the Fury's biggest problem right now is the 390X and not the GTX 980. Take away the cases where tesselation performance becomes a bottleneck (FC4 godrays, Witcher 3 Hairworks) and the difference between the two goes down to 5-10%.

No wonder they had to jack up the prices for the Hawaii cards. With the 15.7 drivers, the 290X's performance for ~$300 would render the aircooled Fury a complete nonsense at $550.

Lightman likes this.
  13. pharma

Veteran Regular

R9 Fury two partner launch comes at what cost?

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...ry-two-partner-launch-comes-at-what-cost.html

14. revan

Newcomer

Guru 3D review:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_fury_strix_review,13.html

Guru 3D use a Core i7 5960X@4.4GHz for benching...

It seems that with a better processor than the usually suspect (4790K), Fury is distancing cleary (~20% in games) from Gtx 980 even in 1440p ... Is this the infamous "cpu-overhead" or not? Anyway, it appears Fury is Cpu-limited (in some resolutions at least) right now and DX12 will helps a lot in this matter

15. Tridam

Regular Subscriber

I'm wondering if AMD has a hard time optimizing some parts of its drivers or took the decision not to spend resources to try to match Nvidia's lower D3D11 overhead / better multithreading. Development resources are always limited and right now maybe it's best to direct most of those resources towards the future even if it means accepting Nvidia will have the edge in some games for a while.

Btw, inside the R9 Fury review, I had a small extra fight in 1440p : Fiji XT/Pro vs GM200 400/310 at the same clock. In turns out that Fiji and GM200 have the same performances in half of the games I tested (Batman AO, Crysis 3, Evolve, Far Cry 4, Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider) while the GM200 has a 10-30% advantage in the other half (Anno 2070, Battlefield 4, Dying Light, GRID 2, Splinter Cell and The Witcher 3).

Jawed, DavidGraham, fellix and 2 others like this.
  16. pharma

Veteran Regular

Good to see Hardware.fr included results from a Hybrid GTX 980 Ti (Inno3D GTX 980 Ti iChill Black). I think a first ...

17. revan

Newcomer

(A little) offtopic: Thank you so much Damien for your (always) profesional reviews ...Your hard and trustful work @hardware.fr was of great help to me from many years in a world (...wide web) where "astroturfing" is more common nowadays than leaves in the trees ...

Allez les bleus!

18. Noirgheos

So, for 1080p, and sometimes down-sampling from 1440p. Which should I get? R9 Fury is $75 more on average here in Montreal than a 980 G1 Gaming(which is what I plan to get).

19. I.S.T.

Veteran

I was wondering, do you know why so many Mantle reviews show Fuji having issues with Mantle games? It seems to be a big plus in favor of the 390X if you compare the 390X and the R9 Fury...