• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First quote new AMD card is roughly 1000 points behind in Vantage X performance to the GTX295, similarly game performance is at about that level. "Preparing to try the water" is i guess a euphemism for releasing. Next bit is a bit harder. "Old king releasing gunmen" is a bit hard to explain...i think he is trying to clarify meaning in the later quote so will leave it to then. Huang has erred seems fairly straightforward, though no idea what the actual mistake was.

Second quote is also reasonably straightforward, a large number of GTX275s are about to come on the market. Used a military metaphor of planting their flag behind this card.

Finally the third quote: Dismay, there is no current way of knowing the final release performance of the GT300. Have sent "gunmen to go to every big forum" (does that include this forum??...if not guess that means B3D is not considered big ;) ) and ensure they are perceived in a positive light. Nvidia recently failed to make usual payments to journalists for positive coverage, something in brackets i don't understand. They are also having problems with "the way its meant to be played" program. The final part might have something to do with the last quarters results where nvidia managed to save 10% is SG&A without explicitly saying what was cut back.

Haha this is fun. If he's referring to the same gunmen in both references then the "Old King" is presumably Nvidia having lost the throne these past few years. "To err is the old Huang" seems to indicate that the "new Huang" won't make the same mistake. "Gunmen" trolling the forums extolling the virtues of G300 is just.... :LOL: (but probably true!)

Wonder what trouble they're having with TWIMTBP? Developer engagement is part of their long term strategy so if they did cut anything it should have mostly been fluff. Also, what are the usual payments that Nvidia makes for positive coverage, you would think they would be increasing those payments given how things have been going.

Never heard of it before, thanks. Last time I used MP it only supported standard def mpeg decode acceleration. Will check out HC (this isn't a Microsoft product is it?)

download the k-lite code pack (it includes MPHC) it's based on ye olde mediaplayer (now open source?) and was featured in the biggest "gpu accelerating video" write-up the past year!

Wonder what trouble they're having with TWIMTBP? Developer engagement is part of their long term strategy so if they did cut anything it should have mostly been fluff.
Maybe ATi began to help developers with the adoption of DX11 earlier. Maybe they even provided DX11 hardware prior to nVidia. Like in the R3xx/DX9 era.

R600 didn't have UVD & much hooha was made about the high CPU load + high GPU load when decoding.
IIRC much of the noise came from a quite unclear statement in AMDs marketing documents which stated that R600 used Unified Video Decoding technology (note the subtle difference to Unified Video Decoder). Some people apparently felt misled by that. Personally, I couldn't care less about video acceleration - at least in the higher end models, because chances are, that you'll also have a decent processor to chug along with them.

Most sense, I think, specialized video hardware would make in notebook (from a power perspective) and in IGPs.

"Gunmen" trolling the forums extolling the virtues of G300 is just.... :LOL: (but probably true!)
If true, maybe Nvidia should start to leak some real infos (or at least plausible fake ones) to give 'em something to troll on about. :)

UVD is a DXVA device.

Just like PureVideo HD is, for example Media Player Classic Home Cinema has built-in codecs supporting DXVA acceleration on h.264 (both) and VC-1 (last time I checked, Radeons only), including those in .mkv container.

I think, Dave plays a mean guy. PureVideo (HD) is a buzz word, Nvidia's counterpart is their Video Processor 2/3. The second generation supports dual-stream decoding, but there is no full accelleration for VC-1 (no bitstream, so there is no hardware accelleration with MPC HC), but VP3 can this (IGPs and upcoming GTs with DX10.1).

What is UVD3 or UVD2 extended? There is nothing to extend on the video side (ok, maybe better filters). But on the audio side there is place for improvements: full support for TrueHD or DTS HD etc.
Understanding 8-channel LPCM over HDMI: Why it Matters and Who Supports it
So we need a PAP* driver for the next generation of graphics cards.

*It's PUMA now.

By not saying anything they are already saying enough aren't they?
I dunno. Keeping their mouths shut can mean different things: Charlie's right and they know it or Charlie's not right but they want to keep everyone thinking, he is, unleashing another G80-surprise.

Personally, I don't know what to think - apart from that AMD's going for the full familiy whereas Nvidia will likely introduce the fat mothership first.

Well it looks like NVidia's going for >2x performance (GTX285) while AMD's going for <2x performance (HD4890).

Jawed

download the k-lite code pack (it includes MPHC) it's based on ye olde mediaplayer (now open source?) and was featured in the biggest "gpu accelerating video" write-up the past year!

Never ever download codec packs, they have tons of useless and overlapping codecs / splitters and such in them, which CAN cause problems and for sure doesn't do any good.

Never heard of it before, thanks. Last time I used MP it only supported standard def mpeg decode acceleration. Will check out HC (this isn't a Microsoft product is it?)

MPCHC is based on the old Media Player Classic, and no, it's not a MS product.
Oh, and it comes in both x86 and x64 flavors too, I use x64 when I want to use DXVA acceleration and x86 when I don't, since I'm using 32bit FFDSHOW, the x64 MPCHC won't use it so I don't need to tinker the settings to disable/enable it. (x86 and x64 share the same settings)
The latest builds are available here: http://www.xvidvideo.ru/content/category/1/1/2/

But the latest isn't always the best one, I have currently x64 & x86's version 1.2.1179.0, which has some issues with HD WMV videos (regardless of if I use ffdshow with it) and older x86 1.2.908.0 as backup since HD WMV's work fine with it

Does Nvidia ever say anything about unreleased products? What's the historical precedent you're comparing against?

Well, Their PR department surely does. If the 380 were to spoil a 5870 launch, everything would be planted already.

Never ever download codec packs, they have tons of useless and overlapping codecs / splitters and such in them, which CAN cause problems and for sure doesn't do any good.

It's easier to just check/uncheck the relevant codecs than to do everything by hand. and they handle Fuji video files a lot better than quicktime/wmp/winamp.

Well, Their PR department surely does. If the 380 were to spoil a 5870 launch, everything would be planted already.

That was only a month before launch. Don't think anybody is expecting GT300 in late September. On the other hand if their goal is to simply spoil AMD's party without having nothing to show themselves I don't see how talking about stuff now would accomplish that either.

Surprising how much profit they make on graphics cards.

29268575.jpg

I wonder what the pricing will be for the new ones.

$20 for fast GDDR5 1gb ram sound right to any one?

GDDR5 is not as expensive as some might think, in general. Of course, whether or not the costs listed above have any merit is a wholly different affair.

$20 for fast GDDR5 1gb ram sound right to any one?

Even worse: GDDR3 costs 50% more? :eek:

Were is the table taken from anyway? There are quite a few pieces of data that do not seem to make sense to me. For example 9600GSO PCB-cost compared to 9800 GTX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so how about this. gtx 285's die which is smaller and made on ~1.5 yr old process,is ~50% more expensive than 280's.

4890's power supplies cost more than 285's, even though it is supposed to take less power.

Back