• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Half the triangle setup, half the HiZ, half the SIMDs, half the RBEs, half the memory interface... is Cypress actually a kind of "dual-ASIC" impl of Juniper?! :runaway:

Just Juniper
juniper_specs_hd5770whvf.png

Oh, and while we're at it, why not start something else too!

14 SIMD, Cypress LE, 625-700Mhz, 256bit MI, 1GB 4.6Gbps GDDR5, non-official boards allowed straight off, $200?

-If they have enough for a salvage.

Perlin noise seems to profit from Evergreens shader based interpolation.
What I'd like to know is why, since the texture addresses are prolly computed by the shader anyway (they are in 3DMark06's version of the test). Anyone able to extract the shader for this?

Jawed

What I'd like to know is why, since the texture addresses are prolly computed by the shader anyway (they are in 3DMark06's version of the test). Anyone able to extract the shader for this?

Jawed
It was previously interpolators limited. Bottleneck removed, better scaling.

Lol. They had to put "*monitor sold separately" in there.

AMD left too much of a price gap between the 5770 & the 5850. They need to get a $199 5830 out. I guess if the yield isn't great, it could come out much quicker than 4830 did.

TBH I think they just left space there on purpose, and HD5800 prices will come down the day GF100/Fermi gets out

If I were to take a guess on that price gap, it's that AMD has given itself room to milk high margins until Nvidia responds, and along those lines given room to reduce price of the 58xx cards without impacting the price/margins of lower model cards.

Regards,
SB

It was previously interpolators limited. Bottleneck removed, better scaling.
What's puzzling me is that the 3DMark06 Perlin Noise has these inputs:

dcl_color0 v0.y
dcl_color1 v1.xy

So how is the Vantage version so different that it could be interpolation bottlenecked? Is the Vantage version doing a load of calculation in the vertex shaders (or geometry shaders) and then relying upon attribute interpolation as part of the generation of the noise? It sounds plausible and sounds like a good use for attribute interpolation, but it'd be nice to get some kind of confirmation...

Jawed

Just Juniper
juniper_specs_hd5770whvf.png

Wow well, it's less powerful than expected with only 800 sp's but on the other hand price is $40 less than expected as well. Very nifty little card.

And what occurs to me with this card and 128 bus is..console candidate! (Yes, I know it's way too early, but, say if a console was coming out soon).

I sometimes think in awe about how much more power my 4890@950 is than the chip in my 360..because as of a few weeks ago 4890 was still pretty top end beastly. well, really, this 5770 has similar power to that, in a console sized chip (theyd have to downclock it though, 700 mhz?)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back