AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that ATi finally had learned, that clock-speed is not the only way to get performance. :LOL:

So 88GT+25% ~ RV770@625MHz+1GHz GDDR3?
If Chiphells RV770@air 980MHz OC are true, it could be get interesting. :D

RV670 dispose of 32 adressing units. Would it be impossible to share them to feed 32 bilinear texture filters?
I imagine it is possible to make all 32 capable of performing point-sampled or bilinear addressing calculations. But I have a feeling that the cache organisation wouldn't be able to use the extra throughput without doubling in width itself. Which it would need to do, anyway, for doubled filtering throughput.

So, it could be seen as a slightly cheaper way to get 32 filtered results per clock, instead of having 64 addressing units (32 point-sample, 32 bilinear).

It may come down to how tightly coupled the two types of addressing and caches are (for point-sampling and bilinear) - e.g. point-sampling may place the address units very close to the L1 point-sample cache.

Overall I'd say I was sceptical though.

Jawed

RV770 ES clock: 625MHz
Board no.: 102-B50102-00
Revision: A12

R580's (XT) core clock speed, IIRC. :LOL:

Is ATI looking for some more lucky charms? Wasn't the 777MHz core clock or the 666M transistor count enough in RV670? :devilish:

But a chip which can give G92 level performance at 625MHz is very interesting. I wonder how far performance can go if ATI releases an XT or XTX SKU at over 800MHz.

Hmmm... This caught my eye-
"Hartware.de says we can expect the 4870 to offer maximum floating point processing power of just over one teraFLOPS—roughly twice that of the existing 3870."

Which means at least a minimum of 1075mhz for the 480shaders.
So any more info on a separate shader domain? I really don't want one.

Or maybe the (presumed) extra shaders for the (rumored) ppu functionality are taken into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back