All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they? The last thing I remember seeing was how they had even more PS4 made because of their PS5 supply issues.
Sony stopped reporting PS4 sales in their July 2022 earnings report and several outlets reported this as Sony no longer manufacturing PS4s which is a leap in logic. I don't recall Sony saying this and a google search only returned speculation being reported as news.

Sony were smart to raise their price everywhere they aren't afraid of Xbox. They were just leaving money on the table for scalpers.
I think this is what people don't think about. These companies are not charities and their aim is to make as much money as possible. Some folks struggle to get past this because videogames are something that bring people so much joy and entertainment and the companies - Microsoft at least - are good at the kind of PR that resonates with gamers.

The truth is we're all just datapoints in a demographic and potential source of revenue to Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

I think this is what people don't think about. These companies are not charities and their aim is to make as much money as possible. Some folks struggle to get past this because videogames are something that bring people so much joy and entertainment and the companies - Microsoft at least - are good at the kind of PR that resonates with gamers.

The truth is we're all just datapoints in a demographic and potential source of revenue to Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

That's definitely true for the most part, but every once in a while an oddball sticks out that bucks that trend. Satya Nadella's push for handicap accessible computing, for example. MS loses money on it and MS predicts that it will never break even (on a yearly or quarterly basis, not lifetime), but Nadella believes in it so much that he's pushing it through anyway. And the board goes along with it since in the grand scheme of Microsoft's budget it's relatively small potatoes and MS can occasionally get some good press out of it.

As much I don't think Nadella is remotely as good as Ballmer or Gates were WRT Windows OS development (he's got faster OS iterations, but also much MUCH buggier OS iterations under his watch), I do admire him sticking to his guns WRT handicap accessible R&D and product releases.

Regards,
SB

MS loses money on it and MS predicts that it will never break even (on a yearly or quarterly basis, not lifetime), but Nadella believes in it so much that he's pushing it through anyway.
Where did you read this? I didn't know they made a lose, but supporting those in need of accessibility focussed hardware is something Microsoft absolutely should be lauded for.

Where did you read this? I didn't know they made a lose, but supporting those in need of accessibility focussed hardware is something Microsoft absolutely should be lauded for.

It was in one of his many interviews that he's done over the years where he talks about why he's so driven (started because of his son) to push handicap accessibility in computing. Unfortunately, pinning it down to which interview is difficult because he's done so many of them. Or perhaps it was with the head of that group when there was a lot of press going around about the Xbox handicap controller? Or it could have been with their hardware group that's tasked with creating and releasing hardware to assist people with disabilities? It's been a few years and I didn't think to bookmark it since I just read it in passing.

Sorry, don't mean to be deliberately vague. :) Take the disability access push operating at a constant loss with a grain of salt since I can't remember exactly where I read it or heard it (if it was a video interview). Regardless, if I remember correctly it was predicted to always be a loss generator as the market for those devices is so small and cost to create the hardware so large relative to the market that they could see no way of making it profitable while still attempting to make it at least somewhat affordable.

Regards,
SB

I would believe that the accessibility controller never made money. I get that it isn't cheap for consumers, but just looking at the marketing budget they've had for that thing, with all the mini documentaries they do, you can tell that the marketing budget probably outweighs the BOM.

And yes, I agree they should be lauded for it. The accessibility controller, and co-pilot mode, which essentially has no cost in hardware, are probably the two biggest improvements to accessibility in video game history. Someone is welcome to prove me wrong. I know there are some games on Playstation that have pretty intensive accessibility options, but the hardware solutions work with every game.

I would believe that the accessibility controller never made money. I get that it isn't cheap for consumers, but just looking at the marketing budget they've had for that thing, with all the mini documentaries they do, you can tell that the marketing budget probably outweighs the BOM.

And yes, I agree they should be lauded for it. The accessibility controller, and co-pilot mode, which essentially has no cost in hardware, are probably the two biggest improvements to accessibility in video game history. Someone is welcome to prove me wrong. I know there are some games on Playstation that have pretty intensive accessibility options, but the hardware solutions work with every game.
I think what's great is they aren't limiting it to a platform. It can be supported by anyone. Also third parties make add ons for it

Incredibly impressive numbers, averaged >20m pear year over 5.5 years and pretty much matched the Wii's rate of sales for the first 5 fiscal years and kept going instead of dropping like a stone. 1.41m more for the Wii over that period of crazy sales although it was released Dec not March, Wii had 5.84m FY1 sales vs 2.74m Switch. Currently 117m total sales, I'd expect it to hit 130m+ and comfortably be the 3rd highest selling console ever

Please do the follow up console justice hardware wise, thanks Nintendo. Also improve sharing if you haven't either, last time I tried sharing via phone you had to send it on your switch, scan multiple QR codes on your phone, open a page in a browser and download it there. You have an app for your product (which is needed for voice online iirc, not done in game!) so maybe connect there and allow us to copy our console's screenshots/videos through that? Thanks

This weeks Famitsu numbers
Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 103,464 (3,287,166)
Switch – 28,729 (18,928,178)
PlayStation 5 – 25,379 (1,919,558)
Switch Lite – 20,091 (5,013,958)
PlayStation 4 – 4,211 (7,832,572)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,456 (299,694)
Xbox Series S – 1,575 (223,025)
Xbox Series X – 279 (171,827)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 111 (1,189,361)

Switch doing 152,284 in one week in Japan. PlayStation doing nearly 28,000 Xbox 1,854

Looks like Sony won Nov npd hardware sales

View attachment 7735

View attachment 7736

Rankings
Unit Ranking: PS5 > NSW > XBS
Revenue Ranking: PS5 > NSW > XBS
Congrats to playstation and Nintendo. I would have thought Xbox would take number 2 cause of discounts but it seems Sony was able to get more supply out there. I doubt Xbox is that far behind Nintendo though because MS was very agressive with pricing.

Also call of duty is a monster. I can see why sony is so aggressively trying to stop MS from fully controlling that IP, and Activision has tons more content and IP than just that. Very large part of the industry there

So, interesting times ahead. NSW passed PS4 to hit 4th all time for console sales as reported previously here.

But, for those not keeping track, it's virtually guaranteed to pass the Game Boy and take over 3rd place by the end of the year. NSW current sits at ~117.27 million units while GB sits at ~118.69 million units.

NSW has clearly peaked and is on the downslope of it's sales life (but that still means it's outselling PS5 and XBS consoles). However, it should still easily sell between 3-4 million units by the end of the year (last year NSW sold ~4.9 million units in the same period of time).

That should put it between 120-121.5 million units sold by the end of the year. Using the lower bound of 120 million units that would put it roughly 34 million units behind the Nintendo DS and about 38.7 million behind the PS2.

Depending on how quickly sales die off and how long Nintendo continues to sell the NSW, there's a small chance it could pass the DS and possibly the PS2.

Just to give some context, NSW moved ~24.759 million units in 2020, ~24.749 million units in 2021 and are on track to likely sell between 18.5 - 20 million units for 2022. So, there's a fair likelihood that they'll shift close to 15 million units in 2023. Keep in mind that the 3DS still sold quite well even after NSW was released. So, NSW may or may not have enough legs after 2023 to potentially close the gap with the DS or PS2.

Also, some may want to take the following with however much salt they want as it's data from VGChartz...

Sales up to this point in time for 2022 has PS5 and Xbox series consoles closer than Xbox has been to PlayStation since the PS3/X360 days.

Up to this point in 2021 the PS5 had sold ~10.60 million units while XBS consoles had sold ~6.40 million units. Fast foward to 2022 and for the same time period the PS5 has moved 10.57 million units while the XBS consoles have sold ~8.42 million units. To make the comparison even easier PS5 led XBS consoles ~1.66 : 1 at this point last year (2021) while up to this point this year (2022), PS5 leads XBS consoles by ~1.26 : 1. This is yearly sales and not lifetime sales. PS5 currently leads ~1.4 : 1 for lifetime sales.

Are there even shortages for PS5 right now? Honest question as I haven't been keeping track and when I went to Amazon US and Best Buy just now, all models of PS5 including the GOW version are in stock at normal retail price.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back