All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Japan Media Create sales March 3-9. From what I can tell from the GAF thread discussion PS4 isn't really supply constrained.

BRvwPM7.png

Japan market continues to be amazingly lifeless. Basically everything trending down and PS4 not killing it.

<20k, not including bundles, seems believable. Including the bundle, it's probably ~30-35k. That's just at amazon alone, and it's still early in the month. Titanfall is selling at every single retailer that sells videogames, B&M and online. There were no incentives in purchasing from amazon, whereas the PS4 was one of 2-3 online retailers, and one of 2, if not the only, retailer that had standalone units. Plus 20k was just my own estimate of how many PS4s they received. I have no idea what the sale rate was in the first few days. I'd imagine that it was considerably higher.

I HIGHLY doubt that revenue is at all weighted into their rankings. I think it's straight unit sales.

These arguments are still quite flawed. For one the PS4 SKU's are broken out individually, so "bundle" (Amazon had a PS4 bundle?) doesn't matter. We're discussing standalone PS4 vs Titanfall at Amazon, which will be correctly tracked.

Second, PS4 is also "selling at every single retailer that sells videogames". At least we dont know about brick and mortar situation, but we can assume it is not just completely nonexistent nationwide. In fact if Amazon got large stock we can guesstimate B&M might have as well. We also had BestBuy.com stock during that time.

I'd wait for Respawn to give a second/third take on the title to fully smooth out the edges, thus, I'd wait for Titanfall 2 to fully jump into the series.

Modern warfare 1 was great all right but it wasn't until Modern Warfare 2 where they really blew open the doors and made everything click.

We are 12 days into March, list of best sellers on Amazon in this month so far:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-03/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar
PS4 - #1
Titanfall bundle - #10
Xbone [basic SKU] - #70

Yup. For January XBO=#16, for February #23.

So Titanbundle looks like it will boost monthly hardware somewhat going by Amazon.

I plan to keep looking at the monthly's to see if we can get any relational NPD info. For February NPD, since XBO's position was lower perhaps we could expect marginally lower sales from Jan's 141k. So maybe, 110-120k. If this has any merit, which is probably pretty limited. BTW PS4 was #3 both months.

Following along, if March ended today we could expect both PS4 and XBO hardware to rise.

Japanese Amazon bestseller list

PS4 is currently #6 (was a bit higher before), only to be surpassed by Dark souls 2 (on sale this week), and MGSV (on sale in a few days), and Mario Party (on sale on the 20th).

Seeing that Amazon has more orders for PS4 MGSV than PS3 version, I'm not too worried about the rate the PS4 is catching on.

You have to remember that the only new title for PS4 so far for Japan is pretty much Yakuza (and maybe a few that I've missed, but granted those titles aren't imprinting themselves in my memory).

Very few people there will buy stuff like COD/AC4 just for replaying it on PS4 (for one they're 4 month old titles, and for two they're not exactly catered to their tastes), so we've yet to see software that has really aroused the consumers, meanwhile, there were some other titles that have garnered attention in these couple of weeks, like Soul Sacrafice Delta, so that will pull some attention away.

Last edited by a moderator:
EA could have much more brand recognition for TF if they had it across all platforms and easily had #1 software sales. I am sure MS played a truckload for it but sometimes mindshare is far more valuable. But, then again I don't know what EA's goals were for the game.

It's on X360, XBO, and PC. So it is multiplatform, just excluding PS3 and PS4. Most importantly it seems to be pretty much loved by players like few games I've ever seen.

It doesn't have a campaign, but I wonder if this is almost working in it's favor. It's new times and new breeds of games I guess.

It's more about staying power for the game now, and if it has it.

We'll see.
You think it has a chance of outselling CoD on just XB1/X360/PC? It's JUST excluding PS3/PS4... only ~90 million people. I agree with BB... I don't think it has a chance.

These arguments are still quite flawed. For one the PS4 SKU's are broken out individually, so "bundle" (Amazon had a PS4 bundle?) doesn't matter. We're discussing standalone PS4 vs Titanfall at Amazon, which will be correctly tracked.
When did I say that the PS4's bundle sales count towards the standalone SKU? :???: I was referring to Titanfall with that quote, and giving another reason why people weren't buying the standalone sku.

If you want to continue to believe that revenue is factored into their rankings, then go ahead. Personally, I think that's ridiculous.

Second, PS4 is also "selling at every single retailer that sells videogames". At least we dont know about brick and mortar situation, but we can assume it is not just completely nonexistent nationwide. In fact if Amazon got large stock we can guesstimate B&M might have as well. We also had BestBuy.com stock during that time.
If retail shelves were stacked with PS4s, there would be more PS4s available online. Anecdotal evidence is enough for me to believe that at least many parts of the country currently don't have much (if any) PS4s in stock. The fact is, amazon was one of 2-3 retailers that were selling PS4s, and I believe the ONLY one that was selling the standalone unit. So there were a lot of reasons why people were buying PS4s from amazon, whereas there were NO incentives in buying Titanfall from amazon. A lot of people don't want to pre-order games from online retailers, because it usually takes longer to ship the game, so that's a big reason NOT to buy from amazon.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that there is just as much reason to buy Titanfall from Amazon than there is a PS4, considering the supply situation of both items?

Last edited by a moderator:
You think it has a chance of outselling CoD on just XB1/X360/PC? It's JUST excluding PS3/PS4... only ~90 million people. I agree with BB... I don't think it has a chance.
Surely not excluding 90 million people, some of those folks will have an Xbox and/or PC along with their Sony box.

Surely not excluding 90 million people, some of those folks will have an Xbox and/or PC along with their Sony box.
Fair enough. Point is, excluding PS3/PS4 is not insignificant. CoD consistently sells 10M+ on PS3, close to what it sells on X360. And I'd imagine that quite a few X360 owners went with a PS4, and certainly many PS3 owners did.

Missing out on 10M+ of sales, plus whatever it would sell on PS4, and the fact that Titanfall is MP only... I can't see it outselling CoD MW or later.

Vita outselling the 3DS in Japan.
Probably for remote play?

Huh?

The PS4 is tracking ahead of PS3 quite by large margin in Japan. Lets see how low it stabilizes

I dont think Microsoft really paid much at all for Titanfall outside marketing it. Respawn wanted to go exclusive because they wanted focus and have the Xbox team handle the servers. If they had paid a truckload there would be no PC at all. 360 version will be a pretty bad experience compared to next-gen. Has to BE sub 720p 30fps everything below low. The Ps3 would be the same and probably a disservice to the game. PCXb1 will crush the 360 version sales because people who want to play it will not mostly care for investing on lastgen anymore

Itse very likely there is a Titanfall 2 next year and that makes much more sense for PS4 than a late port

Also Vita had SSD + new bundle release last week.
Until Sony actually invest in more Vita games it is going to keep selling ~20k a week; Indie games just don't cut it.

No it didn't, though it came close.

You're right. I was only looking at the XL numbers :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back