All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another note, Titanfall XBO has taken over the top videogames bestseller list on Amazon. The first next gen software to get anywhere close AFAIK.

I would be more surprised at this point that any big game doesn't achieve #1 on release day.

I'm more surprised that the TF bundle is only #8, I guess if it was a system seller, those people bought at launch.

Taken from the PS4 page on Amazon.co.uk:

**Please note--due to high demand, orders placed for the PlayStation 4 console from August 6 may be received after release date. We will ship orders as soon as we receive sufficient inventory.**

The current shortage of PS4 cameras is attributable to the sudden surge in people engaging in Live from PlayStation. Apparently this service has become very popular.

I haven't really taken much note of this service, mainly because of the poor connection speed here, but I might have a look at it now.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

I've said it before but Playroom is often pretty crazy (which can be both extremely charming and terrifying at times). Ustream seriously needs to get a handle on their chat system though as the constant harsh racism is not cool.

The best thing I have seen in the last month was an impromptu "Wonder Showzen" esque puppet stream ran by a very funny British / American couple. Pretty raunchy but totally entertaining. The worst was some domestic abuse during a "Drugstore Cowboy" like stream with a heavily medicated woman sitting by some crutches getting slapped by an equally messed up man when some asshole on chat suggested it.

This weekend I tried to see if there was actually any way to report streams and it seems like only the streamer can do so (which assumes a PC setup). Ustream's administration appears to be of GoDaddy level of lameness.

Cheers

I would be more surprised at this point that any big game doesn't achieve #1 on release day.

Well, no next gen software had to date. Unless I missed some crazy sale that momentarily propelled something to #1.

Currently PS4 MGS Ground Zeroes is #9, the 2nd ranked next gen, and I think that's about the highest I've seen a next gen game besides Titanfall as well. Boosted by recent PS4 hardware sales. Next gen hasn't really cracked the top 10 regularly yet.

Infamous is #10 and currently moving up, will be interesting to see where kit can get in the run up to release.

The current shortage of PS4 cameras

And here I thought Kinect was bad...looks like people dont actually mind cameras per se...they seem to be looked at as a good thing for other consoles and it's counted as a positive that the PS4 camera (supposedly) is sold out.

Well, no next gen software had to date. Unless I missed some crazy sale that momentarily propelled something to #1.

Currently PS4 MGS Ground Zeroes is #9, the 2nd ranked next gen, and I think that's about the highest I've seen a next gen game besides Titanfall as well. Boosted by recent PS4 hardware sales. Next gen hasn't really cracked the top 10 regularly yet.

Infamous is #10 and currently moving up, will be interesting to see where kit can get in the run up to release.
Come on, are you honestly surprised Titanfall is 1st? It's arguably the biggest reason to buy an XB1 and is probably why a lot of the current XB1 owners bought one in the first place. It was obvious (to me anyway) that Titanfall would have a high attach rate and sell a lot, especially in the US, where gamers eat up these kind of games.

And here I thought Kinect was bad...looks like people dont actually mind cameras per se...they seem to be looked at as a good thing for other consoles and it's counted as a positive that the PS4 camera (supposedly) is sold out.
I can't speak for anyone else, but it has always been my opinion that a camera accessory isn't bad... just don't bundle it with every system. If Sony did and sold it for say, $449, they would probably still be ahead, but it would be a closer race. 399 just sounds so much better.

Kinect isn't forced use, forced always on or anything else anymore is it?

Last gen Kinect was entirely optional and people still didn't like it.

But I sense MASSIVE THREAD DERAIL so lets drop it.

RE Titanfall #1 am I surprised... Hmm I dont know, I guess not now that I think about it. It's still impressive and notable to be the first next gen software to be #1. I'll be more interested in Titanfall's legs. Can it be a phenomenon like the first Modern Warfare was? That game changed things and just sold and sold for a long time.

What next gen games have come out that were not all released on launch day, the day with the smallest install base? Tomb Raider maybe? Today also has DS2, but the SKUs are a mess on Amazon and the title is less mainstream..

Titanfall also had the good luck to have the PS4 go OOS the day before release ;)

Yup, I remember seeing Tomb Raider PS4 reach 1st when it went on sale for 39.99 and actually sold out at one point. So technically the crown of first next-gen title to reach 1st has been taken.

And yes, the PS4 held 1st until it sold out.

At amazon.co.uk, the AC4 bundle went from 54 to 14th (just went in stock today?). PS4 standalone pre-order sits 22nd and the Titanfall bundle sits 23rd.

Titanfall is 1st which makes me wonder how many systems it's actually moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I remember seeing Tomb Raider PS4 reach 1st when it went on sale for 39.99 and actually sold out at one point. So the crown of first next-gen title to reach 1st has been taken.

Well IF true, then I was wrong :p Maybe first full price next gen to reach #1?

Titanfall also had the good luck to have the PS4 go OOS the day before release

Maybe it woulda been a good battle.

It would kinda seem hard for a CONSOLE to keep up with a GAME...but I've always wondered if Amazon's charts somehow weight revenue as well. Rather than just straight units?

Lets say Titanfall sells a million or something, PS4 sold 271k last month. Just by logic in units, Titanfall should>PS4, as any popular game should be >console hardware by the numbers.

Being #1 says nothing about the number of sales. On a slow day it could be very few sales. On a day with lots of sales or releases, it might have to be many more. It is a relative list.

Well IF true, then I was wrong :p Maybe first full price next gen to reach #1?
I'm not lying. It held 1st for at least a few days. Tomb Raider XB1 peaked at 2nd or 3rd during the same sale.

Maybe it woulda been a good battle.

It would kinda seem hard for a CONSOLE to keep up with a GAME...but I've always wondered if Amazon's charts somehow weight revenue as well. Rather than just straight units?

Lets say Titanfall sells a million or something, PS4 sold 271k last month. Just by logic in units, Titanfall should>PS4, as any popular game should be >console hardware by the numbers.
I don't find it hard to believe that the PS4 outsold Titanfall when it was in stock. At the time, amazon was one of the few stores that had them available, whereas Titanfall is available everywhere. The PS4 still currently sits 1st for sales in March and Titanfall is 3rd.

I'm not lying. It held 1st for at least a few days. Tomb Raider XB1 peaked at 2nd or 3rd during the same sale.

I don't find it hard to believe that the PS4 outsold Titanfall when it was in stock. At the time, amazon was one of the few stores that had them available, whereas Titanfall is available everywhere. The PS4 still currently sits 1st for sales in March and Titanfall is 3rd.

That's why I question if Amazon does some weighting by revenue (I've always wondered this btw).

Ok, by recent armchair estimates in this thread the latest PS4 slog at Amazon may have been 20,000 units? That and your estimate of 166/hour in prime time?

If Titanfall sells a mil shouldn't we think it can do more than 20K at Amazon? especially given how front loaded software sales are? A ton of those Titanfall sales should be happening on day -1, 0, and 1. as well, PS4 sold out it's allotment over 5+ days.

One possible kink is I think Amazon credits a sale as when the preorder is registered (they did this with PS4 preorders counted as sales in June, etc). So maybe that could have skewed a lot of day one Titanfalls over a greater range of days.

Still even at that, I would just assume Titanfall would outsell PS4 hardware around release time.

I dont have a definitive answer, all I can say is "one would think".

The mechanics of Amazon's rankings have actually been scrutinized for a long time. Authors want to know how they work because they affect book sales, for example. I remember a long time ago I remember reading about them in relation to books, and attempts to understand what makes them tick. If an author can move his book up the rankings, it will sell more, etc.

<20k, not including bundles, seems believable. Including the bundle, it's probably ~30-35k. That's just at amazon alone, and it's still early in the month. Titanfall is selling at every single retailer that sells videogames, B&M and online. There were no incentives in purchasing from amazon, whereas the PS4 was one of 2-3 online retailers, and one of 2, if not the only, retailer that had standalone units. Plus 20k was just my own estimate of how many PS4s they received. I have no idea what the sale rate was in the first few days. I'd imagine that it was considerably higher.

I HIGHLY doubt that revenue is at all weighted into their rankings. I think it's straight unit sales.

RE Titanfall #1 am I surprised... Hmm I dont know, I guess not now that I think about it. It's still impressive and notable to be the first next gen software to be #1. I'll be more interested in Titanfall's legs. Can it be a phenomenon like the first Modern Warfare was? That game changed things and just sold and sold for a long time.

Not a chance. It's already had it's legs cut out from underneath it by the virtue of not being truly multiplatform. Maybe TF2 might stand a chance. If it has a campaign and isn't crippled by exclusivity.

Tomb Raider on the PS4 already hit number one (it deposed FIFA I think).

Perhaps it'll get the record for being the only XB1 number one this generation :oops:;)

Not a chance. It's already had it's legs cut out from underneath it by the virtue of not being truly multiplatform. Maybe TF2 might stand a chance. If it has a campaign and isn't crippled by exclusivity.

Tomb Raider on the PS4 already hit number one (it deposed FIFA I think).

Perhaps it'll get the record for being the only XB1 number one this generation :oops:;)

It can be the one's version of halo 1. Or it can be an xbox's version of smb if ms makes the Titan xb1 sku permanent.

It's basically #1 and #8 on amazon's best sellers list.

It can be the one's version of halo 1. Or it can be an xbox's version of smb if ms makes the Titan xb1 sku permanent.

It's basically #1 and #8 on amazon's best sellers list.

It could be but I highly doubt it. Halo was a blast of fresh air and it was the single player campaign that was so good. Something TF lacks. I think Respawn must be resigned to the fact that they're not going to replicate CoD or BF this time.

Not a chance. It's already had it's legs cut out from underneath it by the virtue of not being truly multiplatform.

It's on X360, XBO, and PC. So it is multiplatform, just excluding PS3 and PS4. Most importantly it seems to be pretty much loved by players like few games I've ever seen.

It doesn't have a campaign, but I wonder if this is almost working in it's favor. It's new times and new breeds of games I guess.

It's more about staying power for the game now, and if it has it.

We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back