All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Rangers, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZhugeEX

Newcomer

I know you mentioned it already, but just want to point out again that other bundles were available and sold. So it;s not exactly 881k.

2. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Yes, that is correct. Although the Uncharted bundle was the only $299 bundle available during BF iirc. So i would expect it to be the majority of that remaining 881k.

3. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I know, but we can all presume their sales were pretty low. COD LE, Battlefront [regular and LE] and Uncharted Collection were main ones.

4. ZhugeEX

Newcomer

Oh yeh! Easily.

Sorry, I just wanted to clarify it because sometimes people take a number as it is and use it incorrectly.

5. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

6. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

So that means rest of the world:

Ps4: >20m
    X1: >5m
    Wii U: >5m

7. ZhugeEX

Newcomer

Might be of interest to some here.

[​IMG]

Clukos likes this.
  8. temesgen

Veteran Regular

what do you mean by sell in and sell through?

9. holsty101

Regular

Sell in - to stores.

Sell through - to customers.

... iirc.

temesgen likes this.
  10. ZhugeEX

Newcomer

That's correct.

So in this case a console is sold in (sell in) to retail before the retailer sells (sell through) the console to the consumer.

So obviously the sell in line will always be higher than the sell through line.

The main things to take away is that the PS4 supply and demand is very balanced, worldwide sales are increasing very quickly and the US now only accounts for around 1/3rd of the total install base when much earlier in the gen they had a higher share.

11. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

Early in the PS4's life when demand was higher than supply, Sony seemed to focus more shipments to the US. I think they realized the importance of the US market and how MS has taken over majority market share last gen. Both XB1 and PS4 got off to great starts, but as soon as Sony was able to meet demand in the US, that's when they really started to pull away from the competition, when they were able to start focusing more shipments outside of the US where Sony is also strong. I think it was one of many smart decisions Sony has made this gen.

#8071 djskribbles, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  12. Rangers

Legend

PS4 wasn't really sold out since the beginning though.

What's impressive to me is PS4 up 85% YoY (while XBO was up 5% YoY by comparison), that's what enabled them to take the win. $50 price cut was extremely effective. That's almost double sales.

I expect price cuts to make a big difference, but I guess XBO winning October kind of threw me off the scent.

Xbox dropped to 349 a year before PS4, I'll be interested if in holiday 2016 they take the official plunge to 299 a year earlier too (which will have to mean deals around the 249 range).

I continue to think the XBO's clunky form factor plays a part in making it less appealing, I've thought all along they really need a slim redesign, yet no sign of one yet.

Anyways USA hardware market has become extremely Black Friday deal focused over the years.

Well, XBO likely needs to undercut PS4 by 50 bucks to stand up well in sales, that's just the way it is and I guess shouldn't be surprising, it's never done well at the same price as PS4. Microsoft chose to lose (well, they chose $ over winning) essentially when they chose not to match Sony's 50 cut this year.

13. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Those WiiU numbers are amazing, for Nintendo. That's around 8 months worth of sales.

14. Rangers

Legend

In XBO vs X360 sales that I track, this month was a massive win for XBO. 1296k in Nov 2015 vs 770k for 360 in the corresponding month last gen, Nov 2007. That puts the gen over gen gap at 1889k, the largest in absolute terms it's ever been (but this is less important than percentage). XBO through November 2015= 9.75m, X360 through November 2007=7.86m

Again the usual caveats which are 360 sold extremely well in 2010-11 which we are not near comparisons to yet. I think it's likely XBO will be a lot more frontloaded and should have a shorter life before it's successor arrives.

December is a tougher comp as 360 did 1260k in December 07.

15. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry.

MS is still on launch hardware configuration [same motherboard, RAM, etc]. I can't see them easily going down to permanent $299 when they are probably loosing money on basic $350 SKU. Well, they are MS, they like to throw money at problems.

16. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

In the US, demand > supply for at least a few months since launch. Sure there were some parts of the country where there was enough supply, but not everywhere.
    In many parts of Europe, it took Sony much longer to meet demand.

I think it's still pretty damn impressive that MS was able to be up at all this year considering their success last year.

While it's damn impressive what Sony has accomplished in November, I kind of expected Sony to be more successful this year because they were far more aggressive in their offers and pricing. Last year I think they were caught off guard by what MS offered and played it safe.
    I feel that 299 is one of the 'magic numbers' for pricing a console and it shows in this year's Black Friday numbers. A $50 cut to 299 will make a pretty significant difference, far more so than a cut from 399 -> 349.

If MS drops to 299 next year, I fully expect Sony to do the same shortly after.

edit: Looks like Sony has a new standard 500GB Black Ops 3 bundle for 349, but it's only listed at a few stores so far (gamestop and newegg): http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/call-of-duty-black-ops-iii-playstation-4-500gb-bundle/127156

I think Sony should have made this bundle available for 299 as well... would have sold like crazy.

#8076 djskribbles, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  17. ZhugeEX

Newcomer

I like reading your posts. Do you work with data in your job or something?

18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

No.

19. ZhugeEX

Newcomer

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/675462320877907968

This is how far NBA2K series has come, the decline of EA Sports NBA Live, the return of Michael Jordan in NBA2K11 and the continued promotion of the 2K brand has allowed 2K16 to hit record sales on PS4/XB1.

BRiT likes this.
  20. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

They made cost reduction at least once. I do not think we have teardowns of recent xbo.
    I think PS4 is cheaper to manufacture anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.