All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gap is over 1m. Just about.

CV6eLF1WIAEBlxO.jpg:large

Both consoles had excellent sales this month with PS4 & XB1 accounting for around 2.8m units total. PS4 over 1.5m.
If ever a graph showed the need for a price drop, this is it! The gap was growing, growing, growing, and then the major Xbox OneEighties gained some ground back.

But also, it somewhat conceals the market state in US. Seems to be about 1:1 adn the gap isn't growing fast enough to really affect this ratio. So MS did enough to secure XB1 and give it a home-turf future.

we will have to see how much the gap will fall this time around. I feel that the XBOXone cant persuade anymore. There are less and less reasons to want one. Whatever differentiating factors it had are viewed less important now and in terms of games, there is nothing it offers better than the PS4 currently.

The PS4 on the other hand continues to have more competitive advantages

Over the past couple of years the Xbox One did have months that they sold more, but that's getting less and less with each year. If Microsoft made back some of the sales deficit last November / December, they've failed this year.

I fully expect the sales difference to just increase from now until the end of the generation. Unless Microsoft can justify selling Xbox One at real low-budget prices.

We know that sales outside of the US are pretty awful. It just appears to be getting progressively worse (compared to the competition) there too. Even if sales are increasing year-on-year.

Although having said that; the US sales are far from bad - I imagine they're still above the Xbox 360 in the same period (and obviously only in the US).

I wonder how the sales actually compare to their internal projections from before release. As some of the press releases read a bit like Numberwang to me.

I believe ROTR just got the worst release decisions ever. Moving on from the questionable exclusivity deal, everyone should have known that in that week or two no one bought anything that didn't have bloody Adele, Fallout or Star Wars written on it.

This game was - rightfully perhaps - meant to be MS's response to Uncharted 4, but the total mishandling of the game's release meant it sold less than EVERYTHING ELSE. Forget UC4!

Last edited:
Just goes to show yet again software has little to do with sales. PS4 had no noteworthy exclusives and won. It's always all about hardware (price distant second).

It's not possible people are buying the console in readyness for Uncharted and Gran Turismo they were just waiting for the right time/price/deal? And whilst it didn't have exclusives it had the better deals with 3rd partys...so 'little to do with software'?

It's not possible people are buying the console in readyness for Uncharted and Gran Turismo they were just waiting for the right time/price/deal? And whilst it didn't have exclusives it had the better deals with 3rd partys...so 'little to do with software'?

It is power(better 3rd party title), exclusives games or futur exclusives games (Infamous SS, KZ SF, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Drive Club, Uncharted 4, GT Sport, Gravity Rush, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Tomorrow Children... ). The list is far from be complete even excluding 2017 title like Dreams or maybe Shenmue 3 (2018?) and no indie in my list...

People forget than since PS2, Sony console never have a great exclusive library before the second or third year of the system. 2001 for PS2, 2009 for PS3 and it seems 2016 will be the PS4 year...

yes, I don't doubt power is a factor and I only listed GT & Uncharted as they are the biggest exclusives, but clearly next year will be great for PS4...so what better time to buy?

And? That simply means SE could of recouped all or some of money it had already invested with a stroke of MS's pen. Being well into the development would have given them a better ideal of the potential total cost of project and possibly made them amendable to a deal with MS.
The question was whether or not the game would have been made without Microsoft's money. Do you honestly think that the sequel was in risk of being released, given the success of the reboot and Square Enix publishing the game? I think not, but you're free to believe what you want. Personally I find it highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Those numbers are fantastic for X1 and PS4. I'm pretty surprised by the low Wii U numbers. It was selling really well online at places such as Target, and was trending in the top 5 for a while on Amazon. Perhaps the online storefront is more favorable for Wii U, seeing as how most retailers have an embarrassing display for Wii U, typically peppered with a bunch of old Wii games mixed in. Lucky for Nintendo Wii U has been trending up in Japan, and will likely have a better year over year in Japan thanks to Splatoon. If Nintendo hits their forecast for hardware sales, it will be thanks to Japan.

The question was whether or not the game would have been made without Microsoft's money. Do you honestly think that the sequel was in risk of being released, given the success of the reboot and Square Enix publishing the game? I think not, but you're free to believe what you want. Personally I find it highly unlikely.

My bad. I misread the quote you were rebutting.

Another interesting info dump from NDP_Mulcair on GAF

NPD Nov 2014
Advanced Warfare - 4.269M
Advanced Warfare bundled copies included - 4.66M

NPD Nov 2015
Blops3 - 4.607M
Blops3 bundled copies included - 4.89M
[that means 283K PS4 bundles sold]

NPD Nov 2015
Fallout 4 bundled copies included - 2.54M
[probably stronger digital sales]

NPD Nov 2011
Skyrim bundled copies included - 2.833M

Holy crap at those BLOPS numbers, i guess the thirst for COD never ends...

I don't know if the formula will lose traction anytime soon. I'm sure a lot of players come and go with COD, but there is always young gamers growing up who will be new to the franchise. We aren't seeing much growth with the franchise, so this tells me for every new player we see entering the series we also have one exiting. I know I played them extensively from Black Ops to Ghost, but have lost interest in the series. I see that happening a lot, but out with the old and in with the new. COD has that competitive vibe that sports games have had for years, and its the competitive nature that keeps pulling people in.

BF could go either way, but PS4 cleaned up outside of BF in the US. Amazon shows a pretty clear win for the PS4. It's the two bundles (BF & COD) that had months of pre-orders that will apply to November that will push the PS4 to a win IMO. I'm guessing by 100k-200k.

I nailed it ;)

Another important bit from NDP_Mulcair:

NPD Nov 2015
Star Wars: Battlefront - 1.725M
Star Wars: Battlefront bundled copies included - 2.1M

So, using all of his info we get:
375K Battlefront bundles sold in Nov
283K Blops3 bundles sold in Nov
1539M PS4s sold in Nov
1539-375-283 = [up to] 881K Uncharted Collection bundles sold in Nov
XEKZvqe.jpg

Even if it is 700k that's huge. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say U4 will most probably be >1m for March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back