All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS4 US lead is around 1-1.2 million - correct? What was last year's separation (gap) during the December time-frame?

The gap is 1 million as of November 2015, according to latest tweets.

I think the previous gap was 680K at its closest but typically around the 800K area.

Gap is over 1m. Just about.

CV6eLF1WIAEBlxO.jpg:large

Both consoles had excellent sales this month with PS4 & XB1 accounting for around 2.8m units total. PS4 over 1.5m.

Guess I was off by a few 100K or so at the closest range. Thanks for posting the historical gap graph!

Gap is over 1m. Just about.

CV6eLF1WIAEBlxO.jpg:large

Both consoles had excellent sales this month with PS4 & XB1 accounting for around 2.8m units total. PS4 over 1.5m.

Impressive result. Looking at preliminary results, PS4 will most likely win december and [barring sudden permanent Xbone pricedrop to $299] I don't see any software that can push Xbone over PS4 in early 2016.

Updated Amazon December rankings:
#3 PS4 Battlefront bundle
#12 PS4 Uncharted Collection bundle
#15 WiiU 32GB MK8 bundle
#32 Xbone Gears bundle
#58 Xbone holliday bundle

Unfortunately the rumoured numbers are somewhat correct. Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't exactly perform well in the US last month.
Ouch, so ~200k? What a bomba.

For their sake, they better have gotten a lot of money for that timed exclusive. They could have at least doubled their sales in the US and probably sold a ton in Europe.

They would have easily tripled, if not quadrupled sales worldwide if they included the PS4/PC at launch IMO. The DE sold 2x more on PS4 in the US back when the install bases were quite close, just think of how many lost sales there are in Europe where Sony is dominating and the Tomb Raider series typically sells best.

Wasn't there some discussion/news about rotr ~year ago that it would not have been made without microsoft money?

Next year likely will shape up as a great year for sony. Very nice pricepoint and excellent exclusives ahead. Uncharted4, morpheus, gran turismo and whatnots.

Wasn't there some discussion/news about rotr ~year ago that it would not have been even made without microsoft money?

Next year likely will shape up as a great year for sony. Very nice pricepoint and excellent exclusives ahead. Uncharted4, morpheus, gran turismo and whatnots.
I highly doubt it. Maybe you were thinking of Titanfall, or even Street Fighter V (their situations are pretty similar where the developers reached out to MS/Sony for help).
RoTR was said to be "well into development" back in August of 2013. It was announced at E3 2014 with no mention of any exclusivity. It was not until Gamescom later in the year when they announced their exclusive agreement.

Last edited:
I highly doubt it. Maybe you were thinking of Titanfall, or even Street Fighter V (their situations are pretty similar where the developers reached out to MS/Sony for help).
RoTR was said to be "well into development" back in August of 2013. It was announced at E3 2014 with no mention of any exclusivity. It was not until Gamescom later in the year when they announced their exclusive agreement.

You are probably correct. My memory is likely playing tricks. My original rememberance might have come from article below. In short to make rotr partner willing to invest was needed. The game would not have had same production value otherwise.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-makes-case-for-tomb-raider-exclusivity-deal

Putting all the should they/shouldn't they drama talk aside for one sec, the only result I can see coming from this ROTR fiasco will be that such deals will probably just cost a lot more than they did before, if MS even gets to make one of this kind of deals again.

We'll never know what SquareEnix got for it, but somehow I'm hesitant to believe that at the time the deal was made, anyone expected the PS4 to actually sell as much as it did (including Sony!) and therefore I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that MS paid less than we now know they should have.

The eventuality of such huge potential sales lost will certainly be covered by an increase in price for MS in future deals.

And? That simply means SE could of recouped all or some of money it had already invested with a stroke of MS's pen. Being well into the development would have given them a better ideal of the potential total cost of project and possibly made them amendable to a deal with MS.

Last edited:
For their sake, they better have gotten a lot of money for that timed exclusive. They could have at least doubled their sales in the US and probably sold a ton in Europe.

I am wondering if we might see a bit of tale with this game, reason being lots of XB1 sales include bundled software - it might be a few weeks/months before some get around to this one but over time it could end up doing ok.

I'm still under the impression that TR didn't sell all that well and that was in part the justification for the MS deal atleast at the time there was quite a bit of talk about MS stepping up and everybody benefiting as a result. My recollection could be off though.....

So does that mean Nathan Drake Collection might have outsold it?

Maybe it wouldn't have been the best time for ROTR on the PS4 this holiday season.

Either that or games like AC is the default choice for people looking for action/adventure genre.

Last edited:
Oh and i am quite enjoying how hard RoTR bombed, i still might love the game when i eventually get to play it but deals like these (announce the game first, then months later that it is a timed exclusive) stink. No matter who does it, MS, Sony or Nintendo. The less we see of those the better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188800679&postcount=2622
Yep. Hope you have a stressless weekend, too! Oh, and Tomb Raider sold 200K and was in the 20-30 position on the chart.

I am guessing that's combined, would expect something like 139k-160k X1 and the rest 360.

Last edited:
That is stupid.

This game is so good and fundamentally better than e.g. BF:SW.

It deserves much more, but due to stupid decisions it had the worst release window possible...

Hopefully it sells well on PS4/PC.

I think if it had been available on the right console, it wouldn't have had to fear any release window.... I mean, it's Tomb Raider and if it's as good as the last one, it's probably easiest one of the must play games of this generation. This just makes it all the more tragic IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back