All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
The adverts are referring to this year's end, none of those have come out in that period.

Even looking at that...

https://news.microsoft.com/2015/06/...reatest-holiday-games-lineup-in-xbox-history/

There's Ashen, Cuphead, Recore, Gigantic, Sea of Thieves, as well as a couple timed exclusives.

Unless you're referring to a different "Greatest Games Lineup in Xbox History." I admit I don't watch advertisements much. The one Microsoft refers from E3 isn't limited to 2015.

But, yeah, for holiday 2015, it's most sequels. But that's not entirely dissimilar to another console maker.

Regards,
SB

There's Ashen, Cuphead, Recore, Gigantic, Sea of Thieves, as well as a couple timed exclusives.

Yes, that's from E3 - quite different to the ads I've been seeing. I edited my post above with some detail straight from the Xbox One home page. That's exactly how they state it on the advert, it says "The greatest line-up in Xbox history" with an image of the Xbox One with just boxed sequels behind it.

Aren't all those that you mention indies anyway?

Yes, that's from E3 - quite different to the ads I've been seeing. I edited my post above with some detail straight from the Xbox One home page. That's exactly how they state it on the advert, it says "The greatest line-up in Xbox history" with an image of the Xbox One with just boxed sequels behind it.

Aren't all those that you mention indies anyway?

Thanks for the link, it helps to make sure we're on the same page. :)

As for the games being indie. Ashen, Cuphead and Gigantic are. Recore is a AAA title. And Sea of Thieves is a Microsoft (Rare) title. I'm not entirely sure if Sea of Thieves is getting AAA levels of funding or not, but it definitely isn't indie..

Regards,
SB

Despite all the doom and gloom I feel like ROTR might be ok. I think the GAF whispers have it at 70k in UK after two weeks? So it should be 5-6X that in USA, maybe another 70k in rest of EU. So should be over 500,000, with several weeks pre Christmas to go. Plus are we saying 20% digital sales nowdays? Should do 1 million IMO, at least, by Jan 1.

Whether 1 million is enough, I dont know.
FWIW, TR2013 sold 1mil in less than 48hrs after release. It was released on 15 March 2013. On 26 March 2013, it was sold 3.4mil and SE said that it wasn't meeting its sales target. With the definitive edition (PS4/X1), it sold a combined 8.5mil by April 2015.
Also the executive producer said that it had reached profitability by the end of 2013. On late August 2013 it had sold more than 4mil.

Despite all the doom and gloom I feel like ROTR might be ok. I think the GAF whispers have it at 70k in UK after two weeks? So it should be 5-6X that in USA, maybe another 70k in rest of EU. So should be over 500,000, with several weeks pre Christmas to go. Plus are we saying 20% digital sales nowdays? Should do 1 million IMO, at least, by Jan 1.

Whether 1 million is enough, I dont know.

On top of that, the game seems almost universally praised, so the quality is there.

I also dont think it will be DOA on PS4, if it's supposed to come out in spring 2016, I think it can do okay on PS4, it's not as bad as a year delay. Can sell several hundred K more there.
I think Tomb Raider traditionally sells better in Europe, where MS is really hurting outside of the UK. TR: DE sold 27,400 in its debut in the UK but only sold <85,000 in NPD's January report. With that in mind, it will be lucky to sell >300k in the US.

I think it will sell best on PS4 despite being released a year later. But I think sales will really suffer compared to the first one.

Last edited:
Recore is a AAA title. And Sea of Thieves is a Microsoft (Rare) title. I'm not entirely sure if Sea of Thieves is getting AAA levels of funding or not, but it definitely isn't indie..

I know next to nothing about Recore and Sea of Thieves, so it's a shame if they're being missed on the promotions and adverts. I'm not suggesting anyone else is doing better with franchise fatigue, I know Sony are just as bad, it's just that they're not suggesting their line up is the "best".

I think Tomb Raider traditionally sells better in Europe, where MS is really hurting outside of the UK. TR: DE sold 27,400 in its debut in the UK but only sold <85,000 in NPD's January report. With that in mind, it will be lucky to sell >300k in the US.

I think it will sell best on PS4 despite being released a year later. But I think sales will really suffer compared to the first one.

Yikes!... SE really boobed on this one. History shows that late ports tend not to do very well, and fall 2016 is likely to be equally as stacked as fall 2015, so a full price late release of ROTTR on PS4/PC is likely o be ignored, especially when the game is selling for less than £20 on XB1 in the same period.

If SE wants to salvage any hope for sales success, then need to do the PS4/PC release at discounted price.

Yikes!... SE really boobed on this one. History shows that late ports tend not to do very well, and fall 2016 is likely to be equally as stacked as fall 2015, so a full price late release of ROTTR on PS4/PC is likely o be ignored, especially when the game is selling for less than £20 on XB1 in the same period.

If SE wants to salvage any hope for sales success, then need to do the PS4/PC release at discounted price.
Well SE could be compensated for, if MS paid them enough. But it still damages the franchise IMHO. This will no doubt affect sales on the PC/PS4, even if they sell it at, say, 40 bucks. 1 year is just too long for PS4. If they sell it at 60 bucks, even if it includes all DLC, sales will REALLY suffer. And as you said, holiday 2016 will probably be stacked again, so good luck selling a 1 year old game.

Rangers thinks it will sell 1M at least by January 1st. Personally, I highly doubt it. It will take several months to reach that IMO.

Last edited:
Well SE could be compensated for, if MS paid them enough.

It's possible but highly unlikely. We're talking about a game that did 1m copies straight out the gate and then went on to do 8.5m copies eventually in its last iteration. That's very much Gears of War level sales success. Now the next iteration is failing badly on a distant second place platform that's only really relevant in two (maybe three if you include mexico) regions, and it's lokced into an exclusivity agreement for an entire year.

I can't see how MS could have sufficiently compensated SE for the lost sales. I don't think MS or SE really would have expected sales of ROTTR to be so flaccid at the time the deal was signed. The decision to release the game alongside Halo5 and FallOut 4 was daft; these are two massive games that will both be taking a significantly greater share of XBox's marketing budget for 2015 than TR. SE basically duped themselves. They should have delayed the games' launch to March or even to the summer 2016, after MSFT's 2015 fiscal year ends. Xbox tends to have next to no meaningful exclusives that release before the fall, so releasing ROTTR in the summer when kids are off school and there's no competition with other games on the platform, MS could have pushed the hell out of it and garnered a much better attach ratio.

Edit:
SE could then have shipped the PS4/PC versions in the spring of 2017 and again given the game more of a chance on those platforms when there are traditionally less high profile releases from other publishers.

It's possible but highly unlikely. We're talking about a game that did 1m copies straight out the gate and then went on to do 8.5m copies eventually in its last iteration. That's very much Gears of War level sales success. Now the next iteration is failing badly on a distant second place platform that's only really relevant in two (maybe three if you include mexico) regions, and it's lokced into an exclusivity agreement for an entire year.

I can't see how MS could have sufficiently compensated SE for the lost sales. I don't think MS or SE really would have expected sales of ROTTR to be so flaccid at the time the deal was signed. The decision to release the game alongside Halo5 and FallOut 4 was daft; these are two massive games that will both be taking a significantly greater share of XBox's marketing budget for 2015 than TR. SE basically duped themselves. They should have delayed the games' launch to March or even to the summer 2016, after MSFT's 2015 fiscal year ends. Xbox tends to have next to no meaningful exclusives that release before the fall, so releasing ROTTR in the summer when kids are off school and there's no competition with other games on the platform, MS could have pushed the hell out of it and garnered a much better attach ratio.

Edit:
SE could then have shipped the PS4/PC versions in the spring of 2017 and again given the game more of a chance on those platforms when there are traditionally less high profile releases from other publishers.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sales will be very good on PC. PC version will be released Spring 2016. The problem will be with PS4 version end of 2016...

What is Recore? I haven't seen or heard much about that game?
Recore looks to be a good game. There was a rather nice trailer for it during one of the Xbox events. I'm sure its still out there on youtube.

Recore looks to be a good game. There was a rather nice trailer for it during one of the Xbox events. I'm sure its still out there on youtube.
Just looked it up, I remember it now. When initially watching the trailer I though it was some Half Life thing (the robot looks straight out of HL). Looked kinda cool. That's out this year then?

Looks like Sea of Thieves is also out next year. So it is just sequels this year then...

Halo 13
Tomb Raider 11
Forza 8
Gear of War 5
Fifa 22
Rainbow Six 19

Of those from the advert of the "best" line-up. Exactly the same for Playstation too, mind.

Maybe I'm just getting really cynical as I get older.

Looks like Sea of Thieves is also out next year. So it is just sequels this year then...

...snip...

Maybe I'm just getting really cynical as I get older.

Yup. All the new IP is either next year or was early this year.

I don't have the same distaste for sequels as many people. I actually like sequels. If I like a game I want more of the same. I only hate sequels when they deviate too much from the established franchise. Or when they attempt to change the gameplay to "make it better." Like I wanted more Doom 1 or Doom 2. But we ended up getting the craptastic Doom 3 which was absolutely nothing like Doom 1 or 2. I wanted more of Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2. But then EA bought them and did nothing with it until an extremely crappy mobile piece of feces. I wanted more of Dragon Age Origins, but instead we got the steaming pile of dung called Dragon Age 2. Bleh. :) But sometimes it all works out. I wanted more of StarCraft, and every installment of StarCraft 2 has met my expectations.

Regards,
SB

I agree, it's not that I'm staunchly against sequels, more that I don't understand the designation of the advert.

Maybe I'm being pedantic but when you're talking about something being better shouldn't that mean that it's not more of the same? Unless they're suggesting that because there are more sequels in one year than any time before, that makes it best? Or all of those are better than the preceding games?

I'm probably over thinking it ;)

Just watched it. Looks like it could be something special.

Do we know what kindof game it is? RPG? Open world action? Linear TPS? Platformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back