All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read my post? I didn't mention PR, I talked about their sales....

Yes, I read your post. I responded with MS is simply sacrificing short terms profitability for long term health. The "PR win" was a continuation of my previous response which was a rebuttal to MS needing a "win" against sony.

They want sales not a PR win.
they want both, if they were solely focused on profits then they would not be focusing solely on the US, remember last year? when most of the pricecut focus occurred in the USA. I can dig up an old post of mine from this period that shows this.
The funny thing is if you're focusing on profits you'ld prefer to sell a console eg here in nz than the USA.

they want both, if they were solely focused on profits then they would not be focusing solely on the US, remember last year? when most of the pricecut focus occurred in the USA. I can dig up an old post of mine from this period that shows this.
The funny thing is if you're focusing on profits you'ld prefer to sell a console eg here in nz than the USA.

Profits in the console market is mostly driven by software and accessory sales which is mostly driven by the size of your userbase. Selling consoles with skimpy margins or at losses is still ultimately about profits.

If profits weren't the priority and simply beating out Sony over the hardware sales was the ultimate goal, MS has the resources to create a price difference to better compete with Sony.

What MS needs and what MS wants are not necessarily the same thing. Outselling Sony would be nice but selling at a brisk pace and enlarging one's userbase to create a viable product with good long term prospect is the ultimate goal. The former is a want the latter is a need. A win would be great but not necessary for the xb1 to be a healthy business.

And my point of contention was on the "need" for MS to beat Sony over the holidays not about their "want" to beat Sony.

Last edited:

some other anecdotes
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186986927&postcount=7557
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186926315&postcount=1670

Honestly I have never seen Abdiel post that PS4 is doing anything but crushing it so I am wondering if it's like 2:1 XBO in reality for him to call it even lol.

Target actually called out Wii U as one of their top 3 sellers online...Wii U stealth takes November confirmed.

Amazon US support their experience...

Current Best sellers....
#1 PS4 Uncharted Collection Bundle (Physical Disc)
#14 PS4 Uncharted Collection Bundle (Digital Copy)

Hot Release trending...
#1 PS4 Uncharted Collection Bundle (Physical Disc)
#7 PS4 Uncharted Collection Bundle (Digital Copy)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Current
US Amazon Best Sellers (hourly) as of 4pm EST.

#1 PS4 Nathan Drake Collection Bundle
#5 XB1 Gears of War Bundle
#14 PS4 Nathan Drake Collection Bundle (Digital Bundle) (-3)
#18 XB1 Three Games Bundle (+8)
#21 PS4 Star Wars Battlefront Bundle (+4)
#33 XB1 Fallout Bundle (-12)
#37 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops Bundle (-2)
#42 XB1 Legos Movie Bundle (+1)
#63 XB1 FIFA 16 Bundle (+7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Previously
US Amazon Best Sellers (hourly) as of 6am EST.

#1 PS4 Nathan Drake Collection Bundle
#5 XB1 Gears of War Bundle
#11 PS4 Nathan Drake Collection Bundle (Digital Bundle)
#21 XB1 Fallout Bundle
#25 PS4 Star Wars Battlefront Bundle
#26 XB1 Three Games Bundle
#35 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops Bundle
#43 XB1 Legos Movie Bundle
#70 XB1 FIFA 16 Bundle

Profits in the console market is mostly driven by software and accessory sales which is mostly driven by the size of your userbase
true, but Im not sure you realize but ppl outside the US typically pay more for software (including digital) this is after taxes/currency rates are adjusted for. Hence for item X sold digitally in NZ sony/MS make more profit then item X sold in the US, Agreed .
Yet last year we saw a large pricecut for the xbox console in the US, which didn't happen most elsewhere like nz. This contradicts what you're saying

true, but Im not sure you realize but ppl outside the US typically pay more for software (including digital) this is after taxes/currency rates are adjusted for. Hence for item X sold digitally in NZ sony/MS make more profit then item X sold in the US, Agreed .
Yet last year we saw a large pricecut for the xbox console in the US, which didn't happen most elsewhere like nz. This contradicts what you're saying

Because taxes and currency rates don't account for the cost of distributing, operating and or marketing in small foreign markets. Consoles are cheap in the US because its one large contiguous market.

I am sure if MS could sell 40-50 million consoles into NZ it would. And I imagine if NZ could support that level of consoles then they would be cheaper to purchase.

Regardless of the potential profit margin a NZ console offers per unit, its nothing compared to the overall profit potential offered by the US market.

Last edited:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...e-black-friday-2015-wasnt-ps4-xbox-one-wii-u/

Source: http://pressroom.target.com/news/ta...to-black-friday-weekend-online-and-in-stores?

Offering the Uncharted PlayStation 4 bundle for $299.99, the Gears of WarXbox One bundle for $299.99 plus a $60 gift card, and the Super Smash Bros + Splatoon Wii U bundle for $249.99, Target has announced that the Wii U was not only the best-selling console through their website this Black Friday, but also the #1 item overall.

Judging by people in retail at GAF, amazon's rankings, and the above article, it seems like:
Amazon: PS4 > XB1
BB: PS4 > XB1
GS: PS4 > XB1
Walmart: XB1 > PS4
Target: Wii U >

Note that only one employee at GAF has access to multiple stores AFAIK (Abdiel and BestBuy) which is considerably behind GS and Walmart as far as marketshare.

The Tomb Raider bundle seems to be selling poorly. The Uncharted bundle (not surprisingly) is the big seller for Sony, and it seems like Sony made sure retailers had plenty of supply as it is on sale until Monday.

FO4, BO3 and BF are the big software sellers. Halo 5 and Tomb Raider don't seem to be selling well.

Last edited:
Judging by people in retail at GAF, amazon's rankings, and the above article, it seems like:
Amazon: PS4 > XB1
BB: PS4 > XB1
GS: PS4 > XB1
Walmart: XB1 > PS4
Target: Wii U >

Note that only one employee at GAF has access to multiple stores AFAIK (Abdiel and BestBuy) which is considerably behind GS and Walmart as far as marketshare.

The Tomb Raider bundle (exclusive to BB?) seems to be selling poorly. The Uncharted bundle (not surprisingly) is the big seller for Sony, and it seems like Sony made sure retailers had plenty of supply as it is on sale until Monday.

FO4, BO3 and BF are the big software sellers. Halo 5 and Tomb Raider don't seem to be selling well.

The PS4 Drake Uncharted Collection Bundle is a hit, no doubt about it. But amongst who? Late (very late) returning PS3 fans? XB360 users finally flipping over? Or just new casual users wanting to see what the fuss is all about? I mean, the bundle is kicking Star Wars Battlefront and Call of Duty: Black Ops Bundles tails.

Bigger question: where amongst the Xbox One bundles is the Halo 5 bundle? Seems to be MIA...

The Uncharted bundle is the cheapest PS4 in the BF deals. That's probably why it sold so much? I don't know how popular Uncharted is in the US tho.

Uncharted is fairly big in the US, but ultimately it's the price that is selling the console for both MS and Sony. The 299 Gears bundle seems to be the big seller for MS, followed by the holiday bundle. Tomb Raider and Halo bundles seem to be selling poorly.

For Sony, they probably moved a lot of BF and CoD bundles earlier in the month from pre-orders etc., but the Uncharted bundle will probably still be the biggest seller for the month just from Black Friday alone.

Last edited:
Iirc, The Halo 5 bundle is the most expensive one at $449 since it's with the elite console model with the 1TB hybrid drive.

Yeah it is the most expensive, and around the holidays, price is most important.

Some other bits of info from people in retail at GAF, it seems like Sony supplied far more 299 Uncharted bundles at BestBuy and Gamestop compared to what MS supplied with the holiday/Gears bundles. But one worker at Walmart says that MS had more supply than Sony, which is the same guy that said that XB1 had the edge on BF due to supply (he said PS4 was selling faster).

Last edited:
Iirc, The Halo 5 bundle is the most expensive one at $449 since it's with the elite console model with the 1TB hybrid drive.

I would have thought by now, MS would have reduced that silly price. I hope that "maximizing profits" is working out for them. /s

I don't think it's the Elite X1. Halo 5 is regular 1TB X1 with the regular controller. The Elite bundle is priced similarly without the game and customization ($449) and includes the 1TB SSHD and the Elite controller. It's more of a deal than the Halo 5 bundle at the same price imo.

Yeah it's not an SSHD, just a regular 1TB HDD. And it doesn't come with the Elite controller. It comes with other things that only hardcore Halo fans would care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back