All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
You miss understood my post :smile:
I meant that people used to believe COD was exclusive/associate it heavily with xbox. So Sony marketing it will have an effect but not as big as it did in the past. People are aware that its multiplat.
Star Wars Battlefront is totally different. You would be surprised at how many people will think it's exclusive once all the marketing is done, some people already are unsure.

Regarding the EA Access, I was putting forward a possible way that MS may try to get around the BO3 marketing deal.
Nothing to do with SW:BF, but I do wonder if they will find a way to get it out there that it's also available on their machine.

Edit: Braain fart! Gotcha now... BO3 = Black Ops3

Last edited:
How? Other than a response to a question via Twitter?
They can't officially advertise it, in the way we would plaster it on TV. But a lot of important gaming and non-gaming sites have picked it up. I'm unsure if that is accidental.

It's a heck of a lot more effective than the perfume bottle. It's possible that EA themselves can advertise EA Access to get the game early (which is directly tied to Xbox One)

Last edited:
It's hardly going to sell XBoxes though, is it? Who's going to buy an XB1 and EA access for the purpose of playing SW 5 days earlier? The SW bonus is bound to go to Sony for their marketing partnership.

It's hardly going to sell XBoxes though, is it? Who's going to buy an XB1 and EA access for the purpose of playing SW 5 days earlier? The SW bonus is bound to go to Sony for their marketing partnership.
Oh I wasn't looking at this perspective.
Earlier in the thread people were talking about whether the general public understood whether SW:BF is multiplatform since Sony is the only one marketing the product. This would help address that issue as the game will be played, discussed and streamed online effectively 5 days before any other platform. Whether people would buy the console and service for it is unknown. Unlikely IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay
The userbase isn't all that far apart in the US. And when multiplats sell better on XB1, it's usually kids games (holds true this month with Lego and Minecraft the only two games selling better on XB1). My theory on that goes back to the holidays of last year. XB1 is the cheaper system and therefore the system parents buy their kids.

I've noticed the Xbox seems to do relatively better with more community/social games. Anything like an MMORPG. Kind of dovetails with it doing well in family friendly.

I guess I dont really have a lot of evidence for that except Elder Scrolls Online seemed to consistently do better on XBO, and Destiny seems really popular on XBO as well. You hear/see a lot about games like Smite and Neverwinter in the Xbox "community" as well. I know for Elder Scrolls I heard a ton of people talking about getting it while we were playing Destiny together.

I figure Xbox has a bit more of a community due to having a more robust friends/communication system (from what I have heard).

I figure Xbox has a bit more of a community due to having a more robust friends/communication system (from what I have heard).

Is that true? I understood that Xbox One requires that people both separately have to 'follow' each other, or something like that?

My phone tells me when someone friend requests me and I can accept it straight out of the app or on the PlayStation itself. Setting up parties works exactly how the 360 did, so unless Microsoft have improved on this, I'd hazard a guess they're pretty similar.

Next 4 months NPD will be very fun, the important ones finally...

Let's see...

September will go in Sony's (PS4) favor with the Metal Gear bundling, Destiny: The Taken King bundling and pushed possibly by a couple of sleeper titles (i.e. Until Dawn, SOMA, etc...). And more than likely they will lead in the multiplatform sales this month with FIFA 16, NBA 2K16, NBA Live and Pro Evolution Soccer 2016.

October will be a toss-up between the PS4 Nathan Drake Uncharted Collection bundling and the XB1 Halo 5: Guardians bundling. The other multiplatform deal breakers that may sway potential buyers to either platform will be titles like Wasteland 2: Directors Cut, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and possibly two other well placed titles.

November will go in Sony's favor, although Microsoft may lead in Black Friday sales. Sony's trump card will be the linking of everything Star Wars during that month, especially the PS4 Star Wars Battlefront bundling. I'm almost dead certain, the Battlefront bundling will push more than the Batman bundling that sold over 100k units and the Destiny Bundling back in September 2014, that was over 300k units sold (400-425k PS4s sold during that month). I think some people are going to underestimate the PS4 Battlefront bundling, like they did the Destiny bundling.

December, more than likely will go Microsoft. I think Microsoft will go all out that month just to save face. The only way Sony takes December will be because of a price cut. Maybe a pricecut around Black Friday during the November time-period.

Last edited:
Is that true? I understood that Xbox One requires that people both separately have to 'follow' each other, or something like that?

My phone tells me when someone friend requests me and I can accept it straight out of the app or on the PlayStation itself. Setting up parties works exactly how the 360 did, so unless Microsoft have improved on this, I'd hazard a guess they're pretty similar.

Sounds like they are pretty similar to me. Though XB1 doesn't _require_ you to follow each other. The Friends system basically works exactly the same on 360 except you don't have to reciprocate the request now. It's more like Twitter than Facebook. They do now support a Favorite option where your Favorites are denoted by a star & are listed at the top. I wished it was more robust with custom favorites based on different kinds of groups. I've heard Playstation have added something similar though. Wouldn't be surprised if both try to one-up the other. Gamers win!

Tommy McClain

Oh I wasn't looking at this perspective.
Earlier in the thread people were talking about whether the general public understood whether SW:BF is multiplatform since Sony is the only one marketing the product. This would help address that issue as the game will be played, discussed and streamed online effectively 5 days before any other platform. Whether people would buy the console and service for it is unknown. Unlikely IMO.
Less about gaining sales, more about not loosing some when someone thinks that it's an exclusive.

I was watching some movie show and they were talking about it, and someone said "can't wait to pick it up for my xbox", and everyone else was "think it's only on the playstation".
In the end after all the cursing and people being unsure, ended up with them saying yea pretty sure it's only on ps4, he nearly broke out into tears there and then :)

Let's see...

September will go in Sony's (PS4) favor with the Metal Gear bundling, Destiny: The Taken King bundling and pushed possibly by a couple of sleeper titles (i.e. Until Dawn, SOMA, etc...). And more than likely they will lead in the multiplatform sales this month with FIFA 16, NBA 2K16, NBA Live and Pro Evolution Soccer 2016.

October will be a toss-up between the PS4 Nathan Drake Uncharted Collection bundling and the XB1 Halo 5: Guardians bundling. The other multiplatform deal breakers that may sway potential buyers to either platform will be titles like Wasteland 2: Directors Cut, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and possibly two other well placed titles.

November will go in Sony's favor, although Microsoft may lead in Black Friday sales. Sony's trump card will be the linking of everything Star Wars during that month, especially the PS4 Star Wars Battlefront bundling. I'm almost dead certain, the Battlefront bundling will push more than the Batman bundling that sold over 100k units and the Destiny Bundling back in September 2014, that was over 300k units sold (400-425k PS4s sold during that month). I think some people are going to underestimate the PS4 Battlefront bundling, like they did the Destiny bundling.

December, more than likely will go Microsoft. I think Microsoft will go all out that month just to save face. The only way Sony takes December will be because of a price cut. Maybe a pricecut around Black Friday during the November time-period.
October Nov will be weird mind you - something to take note of for your predictions.
UC Collection is Oct 7, Halo 5 is Oct 27. Unless all the sales of the games are funnelling into a single 24 hours, I suspect there should be some bleed over for Halo.

And, Halo marketing is pretty well known to be beastly in the US.
http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/03/halo-5s-guardians-ads/

ysBLXZ7.png

That graph could do with cross plat titles, PS and XB1 exclusives all being different colours. The Destiny spike does suggest Sony were able to capitalise on their marketing advantage. Makes sense to expect the same from SWBF.

October Nov will be weird mind you - something to take note of for your predictions.
UC Collection is Oct 7, Halo 5 is Oct 27. Unless all the sales of the games are funnelling into a single 24 hours, I suspect there should be some bleed over for Halo.

And, Halo marketing is pretty well known to be beastly in the US.
http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/03/halo-5s-guardians-ads/

That's why I believe October is a toss-up month, with so many great games that are going to be available on both platforms. If it was just Halo 5 during October, then I would easily give MS the win. However, we have the Uncharted Bundling and all the multiplatform titles like Wasteland 2: Directors Cut, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone and Assassin's Creed Syndicate that will sway buyers to either platform.

As far as November is concerned, the onslaught of Star Wars mania, hype, tie-ins, merchandising and so forth... Sony will more than likely benefit more (hardware wise) than Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back