All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think Sony are making several important mistakes mainly in US:

- No MGS5 PS4 bundle when Europe have both MGS5 and Destiny LE bundle.
- Still no real White PS4 available in US, why? US is a BIG market for them. They'd sell a lot of white PS4s to regular PS4 owners.
- Historic missed opportunity with the Star Wars bundle (too expensive because too limited edition? and it's still an average console design and frankly ugly DS4). Just compare this bundle with the sexiness of even the Destiny 2 PS4 or the MGS5 bundle that is was cheaper in Europe when still available...

All those 3 mistakes are really big mistakes IMO. they are so big IMO that I wonder: Is it their Destiny exclusivity that prevents them doing those things? Maybe it prevents them from releasing another big AAA game bundled with a PS4 not long before the Destiny 2 bundle? Preventing them from selling regulars white (or white-ish) PS4s if not sold along with Destiny? Forcing them to release an average looking console, ugly DS4 & very limited edition of Star Wars consoles to make it less appealing compared to their own good looking Destiny 2 consoles? :mrgreen:

It's like they are betting everything on the Destiny 2 white-ish PS4 bundle. Is Destiny 2 really topping the pre-orders in US? How is it compared to MGS5 or Destiny 1?

Coloured consoles don't sell massively. There's no reason to think a white PS4 would sell any better than white PS2s and 3s did, nor that widespread availability of white PS4's would greatly increase sales. Not convinced an MGS bundle would greatly increase sales either. And the rest of your views are subjective (unless you have some consumer polls!) based on your idea of what's aesthetically pleasing. There's nothing particularly special about the Destiny Taken King bundle IMO, while the SW bundle, though not to my taste, has a clear design identity and value probably as a collectible (for people like @Nesh to buy and never open ;)). If the SW bundle sells out with higher profit margins, that's likely not an important mistake.

All these mistakes yet still outselling the competition!

I think there is something in the colour console market - people like to 'upgrade' to something new and 'better looking', but it's not going to change the overall marketshare (IMHO)...but I do agree there's a lot of eggs in one basket, I guess at least sales are still going well for PS4 so they might have that option down the line if needed. I also agree the MGSV console not being in the US was a weird choice...and stock is quite high by the looks of things.

Sony have lots of experience providing coloured consoles with PS2. It was available in many colours.http://www.consolecolors.com/sony.html. After the experiments with coloured units of PS2's day, PS3 had a lot less variety.They'll have the data to show if that shifts more units or not, and they've decided it's not worth investing heavily in varied colours (certainly not outside Japan). Either they're incapable of interpreting their own data, or the market for coloured consoles is niche and not worth the cost of multiple SKUs and all that inventory overhead.

You're talking about a different era though...things have changed, I'm not sure that data will still be completely relevent. I do agree it's not a massive market though, but it can help push fence-sitters over or make people upgrade to a new console and sell their old one on.

I think that's why it's saved for slim models. I certainly doubt that a new coloured PS4 or XB1 will ignite the market and a lack of either represents a mistake by the console companies.

It's also worth noting that MS provided even more colour varieties for 360 than Sony provided, and even provided the customisable faceplates. I'm guessing there's enough of these in landfill for MS to realise that that level of customisation just isn't warranted. ;)

Japan sales last week

iLaF9WU.png

fb0ds2V.png

PS4 now up year to date and one assumes should keep rising for the next 1-3 years (crazy to think we are already almost two full years into this generation overall) , while absolute sales may still be nothing to write home about. More interestingly it looks like it may overtake Wii U in a reasonably timely manner. Will be interesting to see if PS4 can bring some actual life to the Japan home console market over the next 1-3 years.

Japan sales last week

iLaF9WU.png

fb0ds2V.png

PS4 now up year to date and one assumes should keep rising for the next 1-3 years (crazy to think we are already almost two full years into this generation overall) , while absolute sales may still be nothing to write home about. More interestingly it looks like it may overtake Wii U in a reasonably timely manner. Will be interesting to see if PS4 can bring some actual life to the Japan home console market over the next 1-3 years.

I think the PS4 will sells 6 or 7 millions units in Japan, minimum 4,5/5 millions and if they are lucky or a miracle arrive they will sold 10 millions...

I've been saying this all along but I wouldn't doubt if the PS4 reached PS3 LTD numbers. I guess that depends on how successful Nintendo's next system is. But I think the PS4 will sell at least 7M, and I think it will sell closer to 8-9M. 2016 will be a big year for the PS4 as a lot of big titles are coming out in Japan.

PS3 LTD at the end of 2008 was 1,806,160
PS4 LTD currently at 1,767,065 with 4 months left in the year.
I'd say its at least on pace to match the PS3.

Btw

Wii LTD at the end of 2008 was 6,284,906
Wiiu LTD currently at 2,541,627 with 8 more months sales
I'd say wow..errh...ouch

Very piss poor for ps4 considering they are the dominate force this console generation, yes japan has moved to phones/handhelds but even still, aside from mgs5 what big games (aimed at the japanese) have released on ps4?

I wouldn't say piss poor at all, but not as good as MGS4 launch week. PS3 sold 75k on MGS4 week, but it had a LE bundle.

But you're right, there hasn't been a lot of content for Japan, so it's even more surprising that the PS4 is selling decently. But 2016 will be better with SFV, 4 Dragon Quest titles, Dark Souls III and FFXV + more.

Last edited:
That remains to be seen. It's still possible. But right now, PS4 is selling much better than PS3 when launch aligned in the rest of the world than it is in Japan, where is selling less than the PS3 when launch aligned. Japan is becoming a smaller and smaller percentage of the Playstation install base, hence you see less and less Japanese oriented games. They'll never die completely, but the Japanese publishers will focus more on the core Japanese franchises (like DQ, FF, RE, etc.) while they chase western buyers with more western oriented titles. It may not be long before AAA titles meant for Japan only are virtually extinct, with publishers focusing more on the global/western market.

It'd be interesting to see what the Japanese indie scene is like for PS4. As that is where the quirky Japanese titles could still flourish. LOTS of those in the indie Japanese PC scene, which I expect should also appear on the PS4.

Regards,
SB

I wouldn't say there's less Japanese oriented games, they're just slower out of the gate. As I listed above, there are quite a few big titles coming out in 2016. There weren't any DQ games on PS3 AFAIK. They tested the waters with DQ:H and obviously they were pleased with the sales, hence why they're now releasing the mainline series on PS4.

If things pick up next year and the next Nintendo system is a flop, I don't see why the PS4 can't exceed 10M like PS3. But like you said, it remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back