All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Software:

1.) Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
2.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
3.) Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One)
4.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
5.) Lego: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
6.) Rare Replay (Xbox One)
7.) Until Dawn (PS4)
8.) Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack (360, PS3)
9.) Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One)
10.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)

Hardware:

PS4: Top selling platform
XB1: Up 26% over August 2014

From Gaf.

Xbox up 26% YoY, estimated at 202k.

Gap to PS4 seems small, rumored at 7-10k.

360 August 2007 was it's first strong month of several, 277k. So XBO was down gen over gen. September 2007 360 sold a hefty 528k (Halo 3 boost) so another tough comparison next month. Overall after 22 months on the market 360 was at 6.2 million, XBO is at 7.9 million

Next month things finally start to get interesting, holiday approaching, bigger titles etc.

Last edited:
http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/10/august-2015-npd-ps4-madden/

Microsoft has to like seeing its exclusive games near the top half of the chart, but here’s something it must hate: every game on this list that’s on both Xbox One and PS4 sold better on Sony’s system except for the Lego game and Minecraft. For some reason, kids games always do better on Xbox One than PlayStation 4 — although, with a gaming-capable Apple TV coming soon, who knows how long that’ll last.

Madden sold better on PS4 than Xbox One, but we should point out that this chart doesn’t count bundled software. So the Madden NFL 16 Xbox One bundle doesn’t go toward this total. Additionally, Xbox One is the only platform with EA Access, which enables people to buy digital EA games — like Madden — early and at a $5 discount. EA has never shared how much this accounts for the sales of its games, but it’s possible that it’s responsible for a significant portion.

We asked Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo for comment on their hardware performance in August.

Nintendo declined to comment on the Wii U, but Microsoft, however, noted that the Xbox One is still outpacing its 2014 sales.

“Xbox One continued to gain momentum in August, with sales in the U.S. up 26 percent over August 2014,” Xbox marketing boss Mike Nichols said in a statement provided to Gamesbeat.

Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 outsold its competition once again.

“We would like to thank our fans and partners for their ongoing support of PlayStation and for making PS4 the top selling console and No. 1 in software sales in North America in August,” a Sony spokesperson said in a statement provided to GamesBeat.

Last edited:
“Xbox One continued to gain momentum in August, with sales in the U.S. up 26 percent over August 2014” Well it was $50 more expensive and didn't come with a free TV last year ;)

It shouldn't surprise anybody when PS4 multiplats sell more considering it's user base advantage. It should be the expected norm, anything else is the oddity.

Also i wonder if two XBO exclusives (Gears and Rare Replay) siphoned off some multiplatform core game sales from XBO this month. Since XBO has won a few core multiplats in recent months but none this month.

It shouldn't surprise anybody when PS4 multiplats sell more considering it's user base advantage. It should be the expected norm, anything else is the oddity.

Also i wonder if two XBO exclusives (Gears and Rare Replay) siphoned off some multiplatform core game sales from XBO this month. Since XBO has won a few core multiplats in recent months but none this month.

Not if the numbers aren't worldwide. Don't most NA numbers make us believe that the XBO is quite close in userbase to the PS4? [<10%] That's hardly a difference that should lead to most games selling better on the PS4.

rr < 109
ud < 90

I guess those are Rare Replay and Until Dawn.

Pretty weak numbers even if you assume +20% for digital sales.

Some collection numbers by gaffers

LTD market share for the 8th gen consoles as of August.

PS4: 42%
XB1: 38%
WIU: 20%

2015 sales

[PS4] 1,993,000
[XB1] 1,677,000
[3DS] 1,252,000
[WIU] 489,000

That's a gap of 316k, XBO won last Nov+Dec by over 600k, so they can take 2015 IF they can replicate that. But there's such a long way to go between here and there it's pointless to speculate.

But months that are close are basically a positive for XBO IMO. They need to just not lose a lot of ground in the first ten months of the year. The last two months they've lost little.

Next 4 months NPD will be very fun, the important ones finally...

Last edited:

The userbase isn't all that far apart in the US. And when multiplats sell better on XB1, it's usually kids games (holds true this month with Lego and Minecraft the only two games selling better on XB1). My theory on that goes back to the holidays of last year. XB1 is the cheaper system and therefore the system parents buy their kids.
The other odd times that the XB1 wins is when Microsoft has those promos where they include free games with the purchase of an XB1 which are counted in NPD and PS4 actual packaged bundles are not.

Until Dawn sold about what I expected. It did OK considering it had zero marketing, had only a few days of sales and is a new IP. Plus it's a pretty niche title to begin with. It seems to be selling surprisingly well in Europe though, so hopefully it was a success for the team. Maybe word of mouth will help them as most people seem to like it a lot.
That's a gap of 316k, XBO won last Nov+Dec by over 600k, so they can take 2015 IF they can replicate that. But there's such a long way to go between here and there it's pointless to speculate.
The gap will most likely increase in September (by >50k IMO with MGS and the Destiny bundle). But I think MS can easily make up for that if they're very aggressive and Sony plays it safe like last year. Halo month alone should take a big chunk away.
The only way I see the PS4 keeping their lead for 2015 is if they drop the price.

But I don't think MS will particularly be happy if they marginally sell more for the year when they trailed for most of it and remain behind in cumulative sales IMO. Satisfied, but not happy. And in order to even accomplish that, they'll most likely have to be very aggressive again when they probably hoped that a permanent price drop + Halo would be good enough to put them on top. And Sony has yet to drop the price of the PS4.

Last edited:
November (and most probably October) is definitely going to X1 but it'll be interesting to see by how much. Tomb Radier and Halo will most probably move hardware alone, but then Sony will have CoD (i am unsure of how strong it is nowdays in terms of hardware sales) and the Battlefront deal.

Of course, Sony also has 3 major conferences (TGS/PGW/PSX) to announce whatever they want these upcoming months. It'll be an interesting holiday period for sure!

November (and most probably October) is definitely going to X1 but it'll be interesting to see by how much. Tomb Radier and Halo will most probably move hardware alone, but then Sony will have CoD (i am unsure of how strong it is nowdays in terms of hardware sales) and the Battlefront deal.

Of course, Sony also has 3 major conferences (TGS/PGW/PSX) to announce whatever they want these upcoming months. It'll be an interesting holiday period for sure!

Tomb raider really isn't gonna do much for the XB1 at all imo. Didn't the last one sell significantly more copies on PS systems? Halo on the other hand will be massive, and could really propel XB1 sales forward.

Do think that people are severely underestimating the potneital of the Sony CoD and Battlefront deals. These games will have the full force of EA and Acti's marketing machines behind them, and these two massive games will be pushed exclusively for the US's current most popular console, the PS4. As much as I can see MS seeing great sales with Halo, I think Sony with CoD and BF could come in as a dark horse and edge them out if they're willing to take a hit on a price cut over the holiday. Even if they aren't, I'm pretty sure that MS will have no chance of winning by as much as 600k like they did last year.

Oh yeah, what MS did last year was genius with the lower price + great value bundles.

Do think that people are severely underestimating the potneital of the Sony CoD and Battlefront deals. These games will have the full force of EA and Acti's marketing machines behind them, and these two massive games will be pushed exclusively for the US's current most popular console, the PS4.
I think most people understand that COD is multiplatform now.
But considering the way both Sony & MS has been finding more and more ways to get around the marketing deals in the last year or so, I do wonder if MS is going to market EA Access, get these games for free including COD, BO xyz and any future EA games & DLC with 10% off including BO, with early access.

Just don't mention the BO3 by name/version number.

I think most people understand that COD is multiplatform now.
But considering the way both Sony & MS has been finding more and more ways to get around the marketing deals in the last year or so, I do wonder if MS is going to market EA Access, get these games for free including COD, BO xyz and any future EA games & DLC with 10% off including BO, with early access.

What you are saying?
COD was always multiplatform!
And why would an Activision game be included on EA access from Electronic Arts?

What you are saying?
COD was always multiplatform!
And why would an Activision game be included on EA access from Electronic Arts?
You miss understood my post :smile:
I meant that people used to believe COD was exclusive/associate it heavily with xbox. So Sony marketing it will have an effect but not as big as it did in the past. People are aware that its multiplat.
Star Wars Battlefront is totally different. You would be surprised at how many people will think it's exclusive once all the marketing is done, some people already are unsure.

Regarding the EA Access, I was putting forward a possible way that MS may try to get around the BO3 marketing deal.
Nothing to do with SW:BF, but I do wonder if they will find a way to get it out there that it's also available on their machine.

You miss understood my post :smile:
I meant that people used to believe COD was exclusive/associate it heavily with xbox. So Sony marketing it will have an effect but not as big as it did in the past. People are aware that its multiplat.
Star Wars Battlefront is totally different. You would be surprised at how many people will think it's exclusive once all the marketing is done, some people already are unsure.

Regarding the EA Access, I was putting forward a possible way that MS may try to get around the BO3 marketing deal.
Nothing to do with SW:BF, but I do wonder if they will find a way to get it out there that it's also available on their machine.
A perfume?

Don't Sony have the CoD DLC before MS this gen? That might make a difference. I agree the Battlefront deal could be huge, Sony really getting some good deals (Destiny also)

Don't Sony have the CoD DLC before MS this gen? That might make a difference. I agree the Battlefront deal could be huge, Sony really getting some good deals (Destiny also)
I don't think Sony has done this gen yet until now. I believe AW DLC came out on XB1 first or at least at the same time as PS4? I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back