All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i am comparing them to how Nintendo handled the Wii U and they seem smarter in comparison. I still think you need to give them some credit for what they did last year, obvious or not it was a bold move to do everything at the same time (price drop + removal of kinect + great bundles).
The XB1 was no Wii U. They were still selling decently well before they dropped the price to 349 and bundled the AC games. It's simply the timing of which they dropped the price and sold all of those bundles that made them have a very successful holiday season. So yes, I will give MS credit for going for it and timing their price drop nicely. I just don't feel that it was a genius move. They're doing what they need to do to remain competitive.

And the removal of Kinect was made several months before the holidays. And I knew it was a mistake to include Kinect from the very beginning. Again, it was a logical decision.

And the removal of Kinect was made several months before the holidays. And I knew it was a mistake to include Kinect from the very beginning. Again, it was a logical decision.

IMO, while it was what was needed in the face of the PR disaster from the tent reveal, it was the worse decision they could have made.

At a time when game developers and publishers were starting to experiment with ways to include both voice and gesture combined with controller input (due to Kinect being guaranteed)...MS pulled the rug out from under them. Now with no standard Kinect bundled, no one in their right mind is going to experiment with voice and gesture controls to augment standard controller input. Something PS4 gamers would have eventually benefited from as well, BTW.

A sad sad state of affairs for gaming, IMO. And "core" gamers are at fault just as much as MS for this, again IMO.

Regards,
SB

IMO, while it was what was needed in the face of the PR disaster from the tent reveal, it was the worse decision they could have made.

At a time when game developers and publishers were starting to experiment with ways to include both voice and gesture combined with controller input (due to Kinect being guaranteed)...MS pulled the rug out from under them. Now with no standard Kinect bundled, no one in their right mind is going to experiment with voice and gesture controls to augment standard controller input. Something PS4 gamers would have eventually benefited from as well, BTW.

A sad sad state of affairs for gaming, IMO. And "core" gamers are at fault just as much as MS for this, again IMO.

Regards,
SB
Kinect costs too much.
Sony will bundle PS4 camera with Morpheus.

If MS had launched Xbox One with a number of high quality Kinect titles, for example a Blade Runner style adventure with cloud powered processing for AIs (so they could read and respond to player emotional states using data sampled from kinect - voice stress, pulse, expression, excitement, etc - all stuff we know that Kinect can be used to do), then Kinect would have had a shot at being seen as a game changer.

But it was MS's job to drive this through first party and exclusive content. They showed nothing. They had nothing. They wanted gamers to rally behind Kinect based on nothing.

It is a big loss, I entirely agree, but at this stage in the console industry to launch hardware without software is sheer idiocy. Except that MS seemed to think "Xbox show TV" was the killer app, and so it didn't need software behind the hardware.

In conclusion: :(

Morpheus requires the camera to operate.

Yes, but where has Sony gone on record saying ALL sales of Morpheus will include the camera? It read as if it would not be sold without it.

Yes, but where has Sony gone on record saying ALL sales of Morpheus will include the camera? It read as if it would not be sold without it.

Why are you being pedantic about it? The standard way to buy Morpheus will be a headset with a camera in a bundle. They may offer it without for people who already have cameras. No one said that wasn't going to happen.

Im just trying to see what information was released about it, since there's people talking about it with a sense of authority.

I'd hope they'll sell two SKUs, one with and one without camera for those who have it already, sitting there gathering dust and doing nothing for the last year or so.

I'd hope they'll sell two SKUs, one with and one without camera for those who have it already, sitting there gathering dust and doing nothing for the last year or so.

I dunno London-boy, I quite enjoy how annoyed my wife gets when I disturb her by talking to my console. The voice comands alone make the camera worth it for me :p (as rudimentary as they are compared to Kinect)

I just think voice commands for media apps and other non-gaming apps are where MS and Sony should be spending some dev dollars. Being able to do things like say "Playstation, google search, dominoes pizza near me", would be awesome. My phone can do this, so it feels a little wierd that my 1.8 TFLOPS, x86-based games console can't. Even implimenting Cortana (XB1) and Google Voice (PS4) would be good enough for me.

Anyways, enough of the OT sidetalk.

Clearly you've not played Until Dawn! :nope:

Yes you have indeed. Unless you disabled he camera. In which case, bad London-boy, BAD!
How does it use the camera? Or will it spoil something if you tell?
Alien Isolation was using the camera to pick your sounds which the Alien could hear. Was it the same in Until Dawn>?

How does it use the camera? Or will it spoil something if you tell?
Alien Isolation was using the camera to pick your sounds which the Alien could hear. Was it the same in Until Dawn>?
What it does is to video you as the scary bits happen. I'd share mine but frankly I screamed like a girl so that's not happening! :nope:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back