All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
#17 Dying Light (PS4)
#19 The Order (PS4)
#34 Dying Light (XB1)
#37 Evolve (PS4)
#38 Evolve (XB1)

These are Amazon's Feb sales rankings for recent games. I'm surprised at the Tho Order. Evolve not doing to well either.

The Order isn't out yet so the ranking seems pretty good to me actually, it should pop once its release into the top ten. I know I'll buy it but I haven't pre-ordered it anywhere for example.

Also consider that The Order has been up for pre-order since June 2013. Just in Feb. it's ranked 19th and it hasn't been released yet.

There were numbers floating around GAF saying that pre-orders for The Order in the US alone were ~200k over a month ago I believe. That's a bit higher than I was expecting for a new Sony IP.

Last edited:
Amazon is now offering a PS4 bundle with TLoU and The Order for $430. I'm guessing these deals are set up by Sony, Amazon has no interest in promoting sales or decreasing profit margin.

Amazon is now offering a PS4 bundle with TLoU and The Order for $430. I'm guessing these deals are set up by Sony, Amazon has no interest in promoting sales or decreasing profit margin.

Hard to say, but would seem to indicate it is an Amazon promotion as the page states...

Amazon reserves the right to change or modify this promotion at any time. Offer valid only when shipped and sold by Amazon.com

So it's not a limited time promotion in the sense that it ends on X date. Just a promotion until Amazon feel they have cleared enough PS4 stock. As well, it's for downloadable codes for the games so they wouldn't need to end the promotion due to running out of stock of said game (TLOU).

Then again it is only 30 USD more than stock PS4, so who knows. But if Sony are behind it, it'd be odd that it's an Amazon only promotion.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I assume the opposite. All console deals and bundles are in conjunction with the console company. Amazon doesn't need to clear stock and they don't need to loose margin on already low margin items. They have no horse in the race and have no motivation to sell more consoles. I think the are the most agile of the retailers, so they often have deals first. They were the first to go live with the TLoU deal. I think the only time they act independently is with price matching.

Also, why would they be "clearing stock" on the top selling console? Surely they would then have deals on Kinect bundles.

There is currently a PlayStation Vita birthday sale on the PSN Store. Lots of good games are at super low prices. I just grabbed Killzone Mercenaries for £6 :yes:

Amazon isnow offering a Xbox One bundle of the the standard Xbox One/Assasins creed bundle plus an extra controller and a copy of Wolfenstein. All for $349. Xbox One is at #5 on the hourly updated best sellers list on Amazon. While PS4 is at #11.

Yeah not sure why X1 moved ahead. I thought it might be Amazon conflating the value bundle sales with the standard Unity pack, but the value bundle has it's own sales ranking (which it's out of stock and around rank # 150 IIRC).

Anyways lots of value in the bundle although I'm not interested in Wolfenstein.

It is the standard Unity bundle, they just throw in two additional physical items when you add it to the cart. Hence the controller, Unity bundle and Wolfenstein game have all jumped up.

If you click on the value bundle, it has it's own sales rank. Currently #197 in video games (probably due to being currently out of stock). Separate SKU's, separate sales rankings.

It's a bit confusing though. Also there's this fine print about the "value bundle" Offer only valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. The normal X1 Unity SKU for the past few weeks seems to be being sold by random resellers who are undercutting Amazon by a few bucks. For example currently by "EA electronics". So, evidently consumers who buy that wont be getting the Amazon goodies. Some may think they are, though (which would kind of be sloppy work on Amazon's part).

You are right the Wolfenstein game has jumped up, and only on X One, which almost certainly has to be due to the bundle (unless they ran some flash sale on it recently). Very odd. Dont know how the sales rankings work in these cases *shrug*.

That the controller and game got a boost doesn't mean the same applies to the hardware, though. Especially since that is different than the other items in that it is divided in two SKU's. Amazon items are delineated by ASIN #, and I just checked the value bundle and Unity bundle are separate ASIN, for whatever that's worth.

Adding to the weirdness is the bundle is out of stock for the last day or so, so shouldn't currently be contributing anyway (but the momentum component could be responsible). As well, it's ranking of #197 by itself seems too low.

And then that Amazon is advertising the bundle on the main X1 Unity page, yet that bundle has consistently been shipped from 3rd parties the last few weeks, just adds to the oddity. At the very least Amazon is not handling it well as there could be some unhappy customers.

I'd agree there seems a chance the bundle did influence the Unity X1 hardware rank, but I wouldn't say it's 1000% certain.

Last edited:
Xbox one hasn't been in the top 10 for over a month, there is no explaination for its boost. If the promo bundle is in fact a separate sku, that's even more reason to believe that it's the same item.

It was like 12-14 though, hardly some quantum leap there...

And your 2nd sentence makes no sense at all. If it was the same item there would not be two pages two ASIN's etc.

All of that said I reiterate it seems more likely than not you are correct., simply because I dont see any other reason for the X1 hardware to see a substantial rise, and it would be an unlikely coincidence.

I wonder if MS could do a bundle like this in holiday 15 if their sales by then need another boost to get ahead of PS4 though?

I'd say unlikely, because the controller would be a high physical fixed cost versus software, and would provide likely less return than another equivalent price cut (to say 299).

I don't think they need a controller in a bundle. For holiday '15 a $280 or $300 xbox one with 2 games would be a fine bundle. Heck they could do another ass creed and just bundle in 2013,14 and 15 copies of the game.

It was like 12-14 though, hardly some quantum leap there...
I didn't say quantum leap either, but it is a considerable leap once you get into the top 10. Again, XB1 hasn't been in the top 10 for over a month, and there's zero reason why it would jump to 5, other than the promo.

And your 2nd sentence makes no sense at all. If it was the same item there would not be two pages two ASIN's etc.
Sorry I was typing on my phone and was in a rush. What I meant was, the promo SKU is obviously contributing to the basic AC:U bundle SKU, because if the promo SKU was its own then the basic SKU should drop if anything, because why would anyone buy it?

I don't think they need a controller in a bundle. For holiday '15 a $280 or $300 xbox one with 2 games would be a fine bundle. Heck they could do another ass creed and just bundle in 2013,14 and 15 copies of the game.

I doubt they could go to 299 so fast. Seems unlikely. But I suppose you never know, I always thought the strength of the X1 would be that cheap DDR3.

Might also depend on if PS4 went to $349, in which case they'd probably have to respond, but I doubt that too.

That latter would actually be a really nice scenario for mainstream adoption though, $349 PS4 and $299 X1 for holiday 15 with bundled software ($299 all around would be better)...Probably too good to be true, neither player showed any desire to be spectacularly aggressive on price last gen. Which PS3 and 360 are still arguably a bit pricey.

I wouldn't surprised to see Tomb Raider 1 (Def edition) & Tomb Raider 2 (Rise of the TR) XB1 bundle at $299 for next holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back