All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they could go to 299 so fast. Seems unlikely. But I suppose you never know, I always thought the strength of the X1 would be that cheap DDR3.

Might also depend on if PS4 went to $349, in which case they'd probably have to respond, but I doubt that too.

That latter would actually be a really nice scenario for mainstream adoption though, $349 PS4 and $299 X1 for holiday 15 with bundled software ($299 all around would be better)...Probably too good to be true, neither player showed any desire to be spectacularly aggressive on price last gen. Which PS3 and 360 are still arguably a bit pricey.

It all depends on what you think it costs them to make the xbox one. Sony has said they are now profitable on the ps4. I don't see why the xbox one wouldn't also be profitable esp if there is a $30 difference in ram like some of the break downs show. Its also rumored that the xbox one will move to 20nm for its apu this year. Which would allow them to drop the price from savings of the cpu / heatsink+ cooling/ weight of the console.

Sony doesn't need to drop their price and with Morpheus maybe this year I think that will give a compelling story for users to spend the extra money for the ps4. Sony as a whole needs to be in the black. If they continue to outsell the xbox one world wide I don't think we will even seem them drop to $350 . I would expect a 1TB sku this year for them , esp since they have no form of usb storage. So while we might see the 500gig ps4s hit $350 as a one time stock clear out . The 1tb edition would just remain at $400 . Only way I see it changing is if MS is able to claw back even more market share this year.

MS not having vr would likely hurt them. I expect VR to be the big story this year with vavle , oculus and sony all racing to the finish line. now if hololens is ready for this year it could change things up but MS would have to have a lot of software ready for it. VR through oculus and sony has been building up software for 3 years now

I wouldn't surprised to see Tomb Raider 1 (Def edition) & Tomb Raider 2 (Rise of the TR) XB1 bundle at $299 for next holiday.

Yes I agree , it would make a lot of sense and would be a big reason why Tomb raider went exclusive. TR1+2 and that other TR game that came out (top down diablo like clone ?) all packed in would make the most sense to me. I'm sure they would also have a cod bundle too.

If Carrizo's high density design means something, sony or microsoft can enjoy a reduction in power and costs keeping the cheap 28nm process, even if this can mean the switch from tsmc to glofo

NQs7UH9.png

PS4 is dominating Wii U now. And 172k year to date is significant versus USA sales in January and February (whereas Japan console sales have trended towards insignificance).

I guess it just ends Wii U's last bastion, as well.

PS4 is dominating Wii U now. And 172k year to date is significant versus USA sales in January and February (whereas Japan console sales have trended towards insignificance).

Dragon Quest Heroes launches on PS4 in Japan tomorrow, which is likely stimulating demand for Sony's black box.

Yeah, and Bloodborne is right around the corner. 2015 is a pretty good year for the PS4 in Japan in terms of software, certainly much better than 2014. The PS4 is keeping pace with the PS3, if not selling slightly faster.

XB1 got a small boost from the white XB1 bundle.

I expect Sony to drop the price this year, and expect them to lower it to either $299 or $329. I'm not sure lowering the price by only $50 will have nearly the impact a steeper cut would. $299 would have a huge effect IMO and cause sales in the US to finally fully tip in favor of PS4. But meh, MS is proving to be aggressive and Sony was already taken by surprise last year, it would behoove them to be fully prepared this year. I understand the company is in a nice position right now and could use every extra dollar to get back towards profitbaility. But the potential of selling millions more units sooner rather than later and securing a wider userbase means more people spending money on content. The additional PS+ subscriptions that would be purchased should be able to ease the burden of a lower price point. I would really hate to see the company become complacent, especially after the whole hoopla over The Order. It would be awesome if at the end of their E3 keynote the speaker was like "oh hey btw starting tomorrow PS4 is $299".

MS is doing ok I guess. Still lagging behind PS4 but January sales sucked across the board. MS is getting good buzz with DX12 coming and if it means nicer looking games for XB1 then could improve the value proposition overall the console has with its lower price point. MS is clearly willing to do whatever it can to undercut Sony in its home market and if it continues along it should continue to sell some systems. I wouldn't be surprised if MS outsells PS4 a month or three this year pre-holiday season if both companies continue along the same path. MS has done a great job turning the fiasco around that was originally XB1 and I no longer view the gutting of Kinect a bad thing. And of course dropping the price to $299 for the holiday season if Sony remains at $399 would likely mean another victory for XB1.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/25/81...to-buy-a-playstation-4-an-xbox-one-or-a-wii-u

Funny study about the reason people choose a console an not another one in US. The first reason gives by player to choose a PS4 is resolution.

So,

PS4 owners are graphics whores who just care about more 'ps and fps (and Bluray, lol)
XB1 owners are rabid MS/Xbox fanboys
and WiiU owners just care about fun and kids (so either concerned parents or pedos)

... yep... sounds about right :p

So,

PS4 owners are graphics whores who just care about more 'ps and fps (and Bluray, lol)
XB1 owners are rabid MS/Xbox fanboys
and WiiU owners just care about fun and kids (so either concerned parents or pedos)

... yep... sounds about right :p

I pulled one other thing out of this is that I think further shows that we are still in the "hardcore/early adopter" phase of this generation. Someone correct my math if it's wrong but, based on the percentages of last-gen systems owned, the number of last-gen systems (of any type) owned by current gen system owners I get are:

PS4: 1.8
XBOne: 1.7
WiiU: 2

So, basically, an average current gen console owner owned two of the three last gen consoles.

Last edited:
I think Sony will drop to $299 in there first price drop. They probably just waiting on the 20nm apu and the higher density gddr5.

I pulled one other thing out of this is that I think further shows that we are still in the "hardcore/early adopter" phase of this generation. Someone correct my math if it's wrong but, based on the percentages of last-gen systems owned, the number of last-gen systems (of any type) owned by current gen system owners I get are:

PS4: 1.8
XBOne: 1.7
WiiU: 2

So, basically, an average current gen console owner owned two of the three last gen consoles.

I'm not following your working out here. Did you take into account that there are people who own current gen systems but didn't own any last gen system?

I think Sony will drop to $299 in there first price drop. They probably just waiting on the 20nm apu and the higher density gddr5.

If Sony can reduce the cost of the PS4 and sell it at the current price they'd be crazy not too. The only thing that give them cause to lower the price is if Sony feel they need to sell more. The same is true for Microsoft. You don't lower prices out of the goodness of your little corporate heart, you always sell something for the maximum the market will pay, relative to the volumes the expect/want to sell.

There's a lot more money to be made from plus subscricptions and game sales. Sony dropped the price of the Ps2 when they didn't have to and it took off.

There's a lot more money to be made from plus subscricptions and game sales. Sony dropped the price of the Ps2 when they didn't have to and it took off.
Not everybody will subscribe to PS+ and not everybody will buy a lot of games. The economics of platform profitability is a complex one but right now, they're on top of the current gen market - not that Microsoft are doing bad, both players both doing great, but it's always good to be No. 1. The economics of PS2 pricing was also tied to pushing DVD adoption and offsetting the appeal of Xbox which was technically superior in most regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back