All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
XB1 mostly led on older titles, probably because there are a lot of new owners from the holidays. PS4 still sold more software overall. Reason I say that is because MS specifically said they sold more software per console (ie higher attach rate) but did not mention overall sales.

Interesting that after January sales, PS4 has still only sold 18.5 million world wide. Didn't they claim that a month or two ago? ;) Uh huh. Estimates and guesses.

Regards,
SB
Nice, This practically confirms what I wrote a couple of years ago on here to Rangers about sony PR & using quarterly numbers, btw Still no announcement of 10 million xbone's sold,
When will MS announce this? March? June? Never?

Kindest Regards
Zed

Nice, This practically confirms what I wrote a couple of years ago on here to Rangers about sony PR & using quarterly numbers, btw Still no announcement of 10 million xbone's sold,
When will MS announce this? March? June? Never?

Kindest Regards
Zed

Why would they announce a number to basically cause gaming sites to run with bold headlines of "Microsoft admits PS4 outselling Xbox One nearly 2-1! " (using the 18.5m PS4 figure) and such? It's the same reason Sony started combining PS3 and PS2 last gen. Obfuscating.

For such reason I dont know if they will ever release a lot of numbers this gen. Because they are in 2nd place.

They did not even trumpet their NPD December win (which would have caused no such issues as the above). Causing me to wonder if Phil Spencer issued some sort of defacto no bragging edict.

Also I'm pretty sure they're past 10 million. Maybe even past 11.

Nice, This practically confirms what I wrote a couple of years ago on here to Rangers about sony PR & using quarterly numbers,

His reply confirms somebody else's theory from years ago? :???: They sold 18.5m to consumers. They announced it around Jan 4th and are repeating it in their NPD PR. They will announce a new number when they have a reason, likely some at some media event.

20+mil announcement at GDC most probably.
I don't recall Sony making sales number available at Spring GDC previously - or at least recently. The timing (this GDC Conference is 2-6 March) It's a too close to the end of the quarter on which they report their Q4 and full financial year figures. I don't think we'll get specific PS4 sales figures until mid-April.

E3 is the more likely case of a new milestone announcement. I'll say 25 million by mid June...
It is quite possible, if their figures are good or better than expected - which I think is likely, to skip a shipped number following their Q4/FFY announcement to make the impact at E3 all the more impressive. Assuming demand is sustained.

I don't think Sony's financial year ends in April, from memory. Could be wrong. So we might not get figures then.
Sony follow the 'conventional' financial years, which start on 1st April. They just published their Q3 covering October to December and their Q4 is January to March.

Perhaps you're thinking of Microsoft? Their financial years run July through to June.

Ah yes! My bad.

Well they seem to keep track of around 1 million sold per month globally so it won't be hard to predict sales in any given month, even accounting for a little slowdown here and there.

Japan should also start showing signs of life, many new PS4 titles will soon be released there in the coming weeks [Yakuza, Disgaya 5, Type0+FF15demo, Bloodborne, that Dragon Quest musou game...].

They have before via twitter and press events. Why people questioned it is beyond me.

A lot of it is the typical forum warrior nonsense...

Anyhow, hopefully MS will be more forthcoming about XB1 sales... Nintendo seems more open (not giving a sh**) on providing numbers about Wii U.

Although they've absolutely clarified it as sales to consumers now, which some were questioning before.

It has always been clarified. If anybody had bothered to check Sony Global's press release page on their web site, they would have found the english version of the press release with the "sold through to consumers" clearly spelled out.

Sony is a global company and the PS4 a globally released product, why would Sony release a japanese only press release? I bet that press release exists in multiple languages (I might be wrong but I am use to all the global companies that does business with my employer, having multiple language websites).

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/150106_e.pdf

– Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 18.5 million units*1

*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 1/4/2015. PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 1/3/2015, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 1/3/2015, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 1/4/2015.

released on jan 6.

Last edited:
#17 Dying Light (PS4)
#19 The Order (PS4)
#34 Dying Light (XB1)
#37 Evolve (PS4)
#38 Evolve (XB1)

These are Amazon's Feb sales rankings for recent games. I'm surprised at the Tho Order. Evolve not doing to well either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back