#12 PS4 Destiny
#26 COD XB1
#43 SO XB1
#54 XB1 $399
#89 Madden XB1
#147 XB1 $499
#567"Day One" XB1

All bundles are unreleased.

Respecting this is your opinion, but seeing how things are going I must say that the likelihood of this happening is extremely slim. To say the least.

Which part? Do you not even see it selling that many? Or not losing money? The X1 is tracking pretty poorly, and I just don't see what will change its fortunes in a significant way now that Sony has such a good grip on the market. Outside of scoring COD as an exclusive for X1, I don't see anything that can change the momentum. Keep in mind that the original Xbox was the more powerful console, had two Halo games, and still only sold around 25 million units. I think 35 million for X1 is certainly a reasonable guess at this point.

Which part? Do you not even see it selling that many? Or not losing money? The X1 is tracking pretty poorly, and I just don't see what will change its fortunes in a significant way now that Sony has such a good grip on the market.

By all historical metrics, the Xbox One is selling very well. It's just that the PlayStation 4 is selling gangbusters. Consoles are not an exclusive purchase. Gamers (not fanboys) will often buy multiple platforms when budgets allow. A lot of people, myself included, will get an Xbox One to complement the PlayStation 4 when Microsoft give us a compelling reason to do so. I.e. Combination of price and enough compelling exclusives.

By all historical metrics, the Xbox One is selling very well.
I'm not convinced that's true. Ignoring the initial flood of a few million launch-window sales, it hasn't been selling that well. Like Wii U. Nintendo fans said around Wii U's launch it was a strong seller, but when you looked past the initial few million adoption, it clearly wasn't, and that played out in the long run.

So basically, analyse all console sales starting from 3 months in from launch. After that point the platform fans have been satisfied and you're looking more at general, unprejudiced consumer interest.

By all historical metrics, the Xbox One is selling very well. It's just that the PlayStation 4 is selling gangbusters. Consoles are not an exclusive purchase. Gamers (not fanboys) will often buy multiple platforms when budgets allow. A lot of people, myself included, will get an Xbox One to complement the PlayStation 4 when Microsoft give us a compelling reason to do so. I.e. Combination of price and enough compelling exclusives.

I think multiple platform owners will be even less likely to be a significant part of the two console installed-base ownership this gen than last gen. The required premium placed on online multiplayer, coupled with the high cost of games/console will mean that the overwhelming majority of console owners will be single console owners.

So I think you're (or rather future you, since by your own admission you're a single console owner now) pretty much in the minority for this gen.

I also think the quality of first party exclusive content will be a big factor in how many multiconsole owners will eventually exist. But I think in that regard, by MS effectively going after exclusives that have an effective analogue on their competitor's platform (e.g. TR vs Uncharted, Forza vs GT etc), they're in many ways creating even less reasons for PS4 owners to pick up an XB1 as a second platform, since those gamers can simply play the competing franchise and be content that the game is similar. So in general terms I think the fact that the total console libraries being so similar between PS4 and XB1 works against the XB1; since it's not only proven the weaker console, but also the less popular one by a signiifcant margin.

During the last three months, it sold combined 404k units in the US, so there's one metric that is not "very well".

The last three months represent the lowest ebb in monthly sales each year, so are atypical what a console on average a month year on year. If you total the PS4 units, while better than XBO, they still don't reflect the US contribution to 10m worldwide sales to date.

So basically, analyse all console sales starting from 3 months in from launch. After that point the platform fans have been satisfied and you're looking more at general, unprejudiced consumer interest.

I'm looking at previous console launch windows because they are most representative of the atypical circumstances in console lifecycles like supply chain issues and a dearth of new software. Unless I've made a math snafu of epic proportions, the Xbox One is selling much better than the 360, which launched in 2005 to critical acclaim, with no competition, with blatantly better technology showcased by PGR3, Madden, NFS, COD2, FIFA and Ridge Racer 6.

In comparison, the XBO launched under a cloud of Microsoft PR incompetences with day 0 competition in a cheaper, more powerful rival running multi platform games better. The early XBO had an unintuitive UI that forsake all the friendless of the 360 and make setting up multiplayer sessions painful.

I reckon it's doing ok. It's done the equivalent of run a four minute mile, where the track is full of pot holes and a sniper is trying to kill you ;)

I also think the quality of first party exclusive content will be a big factor in how many multiconsole owners will eventually exist. But I think in that regard, by MS effectively going after exclusives that have an effective analogue on their competitor's platform (e.g. TR vs Uncharted, Forza vs GT etc), they're in many ways creating even less reasons for PS4 owners to pick up an XB1 as a second platform, since those gamers can simply play the competing franchise and be content that the game is similar. So in general terms I think the fact that the total console libraries being so similar between PS4 and XB1 works against the XB1; since it's not only proven the weaker console, but also the less popular one by a signiifcant margin.
You may be right, although I don't quite agree with like for like comparisons. Tomb Raider and Uncharted are only passingly similar games. They are both third person action adventure games but Uncharted is a core shooter with a bit of platforming and puzzle solving. Tomb Raider is not, even the 2013 which ramped up the combat, isn't as combat bevy as tomb raider and I anticipate Rise to return to the roots and be lighter on combat - based on what little Crystal Dynamics have said.

Similarly, Forza Horizon 2 and DriveClub. DriveClub looks very pretty but I'm more interested in what Forza Horizon 2 represents. I like the idea of being able to drive 'freestyle' in a massive open world and I'm not sure DriveClub offers that. And while some gamers may not be fussed if they play Uncharted or Tomb Raider, or Drive Club or Forza Horizon 2, I think there'll be plenty of gamers who have a distinct preference for a particular variation of a genre.

I have to conned that I was set on getting an Xbox One this Fall for the Master Chief Collection but the price of the 1Tb model along with the glimpse of Halo 2 campaign mode shown at Gamescom, which did not look great, has severely dampened my enthusiasm. I had a foot in Microsoft's yard, now I'm on their fence. I'm still certain I'll get an Xbox One but I'm less sure when.

The last three months represent the lowest ebb in monthly sales each year, so are atypical what a console on average a month year on year. If you total the PS4 units, while better than XBO, they still don't reflect the US contribution to 10m worldwide sales to date.

The number is still low and fits within "all historical metrics" 360 did 704k back in 2006 and as far as I remember didn't have any 3 month spans with such a low total figure. The fact that PS4 gets a lot more sales outside of the US, whereas the One currently not so much also doesn't make the situation seem like it's selling very well. It had a pretty good launch, historically even better than pretty good, but history comparisons aren't always that important.

I'm looking at previous console launch windows because they are most representative of the atypical circumstances in console lifecycles like supply chain issues and a dearth of new software. Unless I've made a math snafu of epic proportions, the Xbox One is selling much better than the 360, which launched in 2005 to critical acclaim, with no competition, with blatantly better technology showcased by PGR3, Madden, NFS, COD2, FIFA and Ridge Racer 6.

Well I think you made a snafu by not recognizing that 360 launched with a very low supply. You also seem to have a bit rosy memories from the 360 launch. The first MTV unveiling was quite terrible. The machine was red ringing and it took a while for the games to really look great. The late original Xbox games looked pretty impressive.

The number is still low and fits within "all historical metrics" 360 did 704k back in 2006 and as far as I remember didn't have any 3 month spans with such a low total figure.
Well we're talking about the predictable summer lull. Can you link to the figures for Xbox 360 for May, June and July for 2006. I.e. the exact same period?

Well I think you made a snafu by not recognizing that 360 launched with a very low supply.
You actually quoted the part of my post where I mention factors like supply issues then then post I didn't factor them in! ;) The 360 certainly had early supply issues and while I can't speak for other regions, they were in good supply here in the UK within a couple of months. Wikipedia suggests the supply issues were shorted lived. Nothing like the Wii which you couldn't get for love nor money for a year unless you were very, very lucky.

You also seem to have a bit rosy memories from the 360 launch. The first MTV unveiling was quite terrible.
So quite a lot like the PlayStation 3 unveiling but without some dude telling you to get second job to pay for it. By 'critical reception' I am referring to the media's reaction to the launch, like reviews of the consoles and the games and their comparisons with the competition. The media was positive about the 360 pre and post launch. Unlike it's successor.

Well we're talking about the predictable summer lull. Can you link to the figures for Xbox 360 for May, June and July for 2006. I.e. the exact same period?

Yes the same period. Rangers already dug up the numbers in post 3090 in this thread. The numbers for those months were:

May 221k
June 277k
July 206k

You actually quoted the part of my post where I mention factors like supply issues then then post I didn't factor them in! ;) The 360 certainly had early supply issues and while I can't speak for other regions, they were in good supply here in the UK within a couple of months. Wikipedia suggests the supply issues were shorted lived. Nothing like the Wii which you couldn't get for love nor money for a year unless you were very, very lucky.

I quoted it because you didn't factor it in correctly ;) One basically didn't have supply issues whereas 360 had terrible supply issues during the first 2-3 months, that's a large part of the reason One was able to put so good numbers during Nov-Dec compared to the 360. While 360 wasn't supply limited for long, it had already missed the holiday spending season and the bent up demand simply doesn't hit that hard outside of holidays, except in some very rare items/occasions.

edit: I want to clarify that I'm not brushing the launch holiday numbers of One under the rug, those are obviously real and valuable sales and those somewhat high numbers naturally have eased some bent up demand it would have had, had it been supply limited at launch. Still at this moment, this current pace simply isn't doing very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the same period. Rangers already dug up the numbers in post 3090 in this thread. The numbers for those months were:

May 221k
June 277k
July 206k
The difference...

XBOne (difference) - %age of 360
April 115k (-180) - 39%
May 76k (-145) - 34%
June 197k (-80) - 71%
July 131k (-75) - 64%

So four months under XB360's performance by about 50%. And also down in January as well. Ignoring the explosive start, XB1 is underperforming XB360. And that's just the US.

Would be nice if there was a graph of all consoles launch aligned. VGChartz US sales, which I believe are corrected to NPD results so are legitimate for just that region, has XB1 down around where PS3 was before its price cut.

Still the at this moment, this current pace simply isn't doing very well.
Ah fair dues. I am convinced I'd seen worldwide sales figures for 360 and One in Wiki around the six month mark which put One ahead but now I can't find them. :oops:

I retract it all, Xbox One is dooooooooooomed! :yep2:

The start is the difference, one (not the One) was supply constrained so its demand took longer to fulfill, whilst the other (the One, this time!) wasn't and fulfilled its "launch" demand much earlier. Q4 sales are going to be the biggest indicator - though we shouldn't ignore they are still higher prices than the 360 offerings.

Would be nice if there was a graph of all consoles launch aligned. VGChartz US sales, which I believe are corrected to NPD results so are legitimate for just that region, has XB1 down around where PS3 was before its price cut.

Really interesting the similarities there. The console that is cheaper with the (at the time) more visually impressive games (especially multiplatform) does better than the more expensive console with the multiplatform visually challenged games. Only Microsoft doesn't have the loyalty of 2 massive generations of console owners to get by on (PS3 compared to XBO). On the other hand, XBO isn't going against a console that has a significant head start.

We'll have a much better idea of how things when we hit the 2 year mark. By then developers will have a relatively good grasp of the paradigm changes with regards to graphics rendering on the new consoles compared to the last. Especially for XBO, we'll get a better feel for whether Microsoft's design trade-offs will pay off or not.

It's entirely possible that by the end of the 2nd year, XBO will have narrowed the gap between the consoles such that any differences are fairly meaningless (ala X360 compared to PS3).

I have a feeling it won't be able to significantly close the sales gap even if that does happen, however. Far more Playstation faithful than Xbox faithful and that should tend to swing undecided buyers to the Playstation (via evangelizing from their friends for console of choice).

Unless, that whole living room experience thing starts to gain more steam than it has. Unknown whether a price cut at this point will help significantly with regards to that. While 500 USD may have been a price too high for such a thing, it may not have a reputation it cannot overcome.

Regards,
SB

Q4 sales are going to be the biggest indicator - though we shouldn't ignore they are still higher prices than the 360 offerings.

Q4 will certainly be very interesting, Xbox tends to to gain more ground then, it's interesting to see whether that'll happen again.

360 sku sales at least in the beginning, before the Arcade sku hit the market was very heavily geared towards the HDD model, which was still $399 at that time. Now you have the bottom sku at $399, which should see the majority of sales volume from now on, so with inflation and all the price difference doesn't seem that big of a factor. I just want to see $299.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back