All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they can hit at least 16 million by the end of the year but thinking something like 17 million is also on the realistic side. There's a lot of big games coming out and a second wave of sports gamers upgrading to the new gen. Between now and the end of October they should easily have 11.5 million worldwide, and after that comes the juggernaut that is the holiday season.

I'm thinking 12 million at the end of September - Its Destiny!!! ;)

We shall see...

I'll be super impressed if they can break the 15 mil barrier by the end of december
Like others, I think 15 million by 1st January is pretty much a given. It'll be five million in 5 months including the holiday season sales spike which is worth a few million itself. I'd put 20 million as impressive based on present performance. <15 million would be disappointing. 17-18 should be comfortably achievable.

Amazon

4. PlayStation 4 Console
12. Xbox One Limited Edition Call of Duty
14. Xbox One Special Edition Sunset Overdrive

PS4 back at top

Europe software data for the first half of the year, ordered by revenue

This week's issue of GamesMarkt magazine features a report about the European video game software sales during the first half of the year.

NI2Qaw3.jpg

Top 10 Publisher
Software Market Share - Value

01 (01) Electronic Arts - 18,58% (17,25%)
02 (05) Ubisoft - 15,07% (8,54%)
03 (02) Nintendo - 12,32% (11,82%)
04 (03) Activision Blizzard - 9,76% (11,51%)
05 (04) Sony Computer Entertainment - 7,54% (8,78%)
06 (06) Take-Two Interactive - 5,77% (5,07%)
07 (10) Warner Bros. Interactive - 5,26% (2,77%)
08 (07) Square Enix - 4,32% (5,02%)
09 (09) Microsoft - 3,59% (4,11%)
10 (08) Bandai Namco Games - 3,18% (4,22%)

Source: media control® GfK International

The data here takes into account video games sold from retail outlets in 20 European countries. Those countries include: Austria, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Greece. Digital sales are not included.
The current report is compiled by using data of each participating country, fully extrapolated by each country manager to 100 per cent of local market coverage.

Some NPD life to date's through June I have, just to add on:

Watch Dogs PS4 793k, XB1 500k, 360 326k, PS3 255k
Infamous SS 648k
Titanfall XB1 1010k, 360 614k

Ubi said WD shipped 8 million by July 10. Watch Dogs adds up to only ~4 million sales? Maybe ~10% console digital (400k?), PC digital (400k?), Canada+Australia+rest of world? Gets you to ~5 million? Good enough for 8 million shipped I guess.

Titanfall at 2.2M+ not counting USA PC, digital, etc...not too bad.

I have exact numbers of 109k on PS4 and 102k on XBO in May of Wolfenstein.

And this platform breakdown by creamsugar, also from May.

Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%

Then the game placed 7th on the combined SKU charts for June, with no number. I might be able to work out some floor from the numbers I do have.

Anyway so probably at least 700-900k so far I'd guess between Europe and USA, and that's just through June, it should pass 1 million. Oh and also I'd say add at least 5% for digital download to all of these numbers, if not 10%. EA said they're seeing 10-15% of day one purchases being digital on console.

TitanFall half the sales of COD. Which is not bad at all for a new IP considering is missing PS platforms.

GT6 big flop. Guess more people will move into it now GT5 servers are gone.

GT6 was too late. I still had my PS3 at the time, but had no intention of buying another game for the PS3 with the PS4 just on the horizon.

GT6 big flop. Guess more people will move into it now GT5 servers are gone.

Do we have EU sales for GT6 in 2013 [the year in which the game launched]?

It's strange to me that GTA5 sold 34 million since launch, but during 1H 2014 it sold just 1.1m in EU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thief's sales after the lackluster reviews surprises me.

I bought it after the price was slashed on PSN about a month after release. I can't remember what I paid but I think it was £20 or thereabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

Do we have EU sales for GT6 in 2013 [the year in which the game launched]?

It's strange to me that GTA5 sold 34 million since launch, but during 1H 2014 it sold just 1.1m in EU.

Well now that we know that next gen remasters are coming out soon, I'm not surprised that old gen copies aren't selling as much. It's still a lot of copies compared to new releases!

Next gen remaster for GTA5 was publicly announced at E3. That's almost at the end of that half year period.

edit - NPD is in ~3 hours. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A few NPD things coming in. Nintendo PR
Mario Kart 8 has now sold more than 1 million total units in the United States alone, becoming the second Wii U game to cross that milestone, along with New Super Mario Bros. U (1.69 million). Mario Kart 8 continues to drive momentum for the Wii U platform. Through the first seven months of 2014, total sales of Wii U hardware and software have increased by nearly 60 percent and more than 135 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013.

Notable Wii U games on the way this year include: Hyrule Warriors (Sept. 26), Bayonetta 2 (October), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Holiday) and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Holiday). These games will be joined by amiibo, Nintendo’s foray into the toys-to-life category, which will launch this holiday season. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be the first game to support amiibo. Other games that will support amiibo include Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Mario Party 10 and Yoshi’s Woolly World, with more to come.

The continued strength of the Nintendo 3DS platform can be attributed to the breadth and quality of its overall lineup of software. To date, more than 40 million Nintendo 3DS software units have been sold in the United States alone. This includes 41 titles with a Metacritic score of 80 or higher, seven of which have a score of 90 or higher; and nine games that have sold at least 1 million units in the U.S. alone:

Mario Kart 7: 3.48 million
Super Mario 3D Land: 3.09 million
New Super Mario Bros. 2: 2.28 million
Pokémon X: 2.10 million
Pokémon Y: 2.01 million
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 1.39 million
Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 1.36 million
Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 1.33 million
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: 1.09 million
Four of the 10 best-selling software SKUs for July are exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS platform. This includes Tomodachi Life, which finished at No. 5 and sold more than 85,000 units in its second month, and Pokémon Y (No. 8), Pokémon X (No. 9) and Mario Kart 7 (No. 10). Those last three games appeared on the list despite being on the market for 10 months, 10 months and 31 months, respectively.

Assuming they're using NPD figures for the Wii U sales (likely imo) that put Wii U at ~83k this month.

Sony PR

Below are the PlayStation highlights from the July NPD report:

§ PlayStation 4 was #1 in sales for the seventh consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles.

§ PlayStation 4 led the month for next generation software sales by a considerable margin, with The Last of Us Remastered taking the #1 spot.

§ PlayStation 4 games accounted for more than half of total next generation software sales.

§ For the second consecutive month, PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3).

Other notable global PlayStation 4 sales milestones from this week:

§ PlayStation 4 sales have surpassed 10 million units sold through to consumers worldwide, demonstrating the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation hardware history.

§ More than 30 million copies of PS4 software have been sold in retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PS Store.

Great for Sony. Kind of bad for Nintendo. I expect mediocre to bad for Microsoft.

And the top 10 software

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/14/july-2014-npd-ps4-xbox-one-have-another-huge-month/

“Similar to the pattern seen in seven out of the last nine months, strong growth in hardware sales offset declines in software sales in July 2014 while accessory sales had modest growth,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said.

Gamers spent $198.8 million on new gaming hardware. That’s up a whopping 100 percent year-over-year. Putting that kind of cash into new systems, however, means players spent 15 percent less, or only $178.2 million, into new software.

“When combining life-to-date sales of Xbox One and PS4 after nine months, and comparing them to the combined totals of nine months of sales for Xbox 360 and PS3, sales of the newest consoles are larger than the prior generation by close to 80 percent,” said Callahan.

“July is typically a quiet month for software sales, representing about 5 percent of annual sales,” said Callahan. “Typically, EA’s NCAA Football launches in July, and often ranks as the top game. As that title is no longer being produced, new launch sales declined steeply by close to 70 percent in July 2014.”
Microsoft also released a statement, but it was even less specific than Nintendo.

“Xbox One continues to sell at a strong and steady pace following the release of the $399 console in June, when month-to-month sales more than doubled,” a Microsoft spokesperson told GamesBeat. “We continued to see this momentum in July.”

1. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
2. Minecraft (360, PS3)
3. FIFA 14 (360,PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
4. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
6. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3, Wii U, PC)
7. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
8. Sniper Elite III (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
9. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
10. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, 3DS, DS, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One, Vita, PC)

Guessing it was a really slow month with really ugly software numbers. TLOU was pretty much literally the only release of note. But it is July, probably the slowest month of the year,

Guessing it was a really slow month with really ugly software numbers. TLOU was pretty much literally the only release of note. But it is July, probably the slowest month of the year,

Still it had only 3 days during july. I wouldn't be surprised if TLOUR is still the most sold game in august NPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back