All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposed numbers released by Ubi from their Ubidays presentation last week in Italy:

- PS4 install base in Italy from EU launch to June 26 - 210k
- Projected Italian PS4 install base on 31. dec 2014 - 550k
- Projected Italian Xbone install base on 31. dec 2014 - 150k

I can't fathom how a PS4 bundle not released for a few months is outselling the new $399 XB1 SKU, which also has extra incentives to purchase (discounts on controllers, gold cards, etc.).

With the TF bundle out of stock, even more people should be funneled to the $399 SKU and conversely if people are pre-ordering the Destiny bundle, that should funnel sales away from the standard SKU, but it is still holding strong in the top 10. Either Amazon is completely out of tune with the industry or MS should be real worried.

MS should be really worried. I can't fathom how any non-MS fan would purchase even the $399 SKU, and the MS fans that really wanted the console already bought it at $499. Remember, even though it got crushed by the PS4 it was still selling at a record pace historically. I think they met demand at $499 and the decrease to $399 (parity with the PS4) isn't enough of an incentive to increase demand. They need another price cut to at least $349. Especially considering that adding back in the Kinect and keeping the $399 price point isn't in the cards any more.

BTW the XB1 "Day one" SKU is still for sale. How many of these did they make?

I'd be interested to know that as well. I'd also be interested to know if MS is actually still making the $499 Kinect bundles. We had reports of MS pausing production even before the $399 announcement because the supply chain was flooded. Does it make sense for them to start back up multiple production lines for both SKUs? Or are they just manufacturing the $399 sku now and relying on the pre-existing $499 bundles to meet those demands? If there is actually any demand?

Are they making stand alone Kinect 2 units? They have no need right now for the consoles. Anybody wanting a Kinect2 will buy the $499 bundle and the $399 hasn't been out long enough yet for enough people to buy it, decide they really do want to add on the kinect and pay the premium to buy it separately.

My personal belief is that they are only manufacturing the $399 sku, period. No $499 bundles (there's already enough of them) and no Stand-Alone Kinect2 add-ons (there just wouldn't be any demand right now anyway). But I have no proof of this and nothing really to base it on other than speculation and circumstantial evidence.

If somebody had real information on this, I'd love to find out.

I believe the first 3 million were day 1 editions.

Btw I know MS shipped 3.8 million units before the end of 2013.
Now, 7 months later, they announced 5 million shipped; if it were sold they would shout it from the rooftops right?.
So this means that only 1.2 million units were shipped in 7 months.

this puts the 2014 monthly number of Xbox 1's sold to retailers at.... less than 180.000 units.
This is not for the USA, this is for every tier1 market combined...

For such low numbers, I am pretty sure that production has been halted for months now. Only already existing consoles have been repackaged, no new ones have been produced.

For such low numbers, I am pretty sure that production has been halted for months now. Only already existing consoles have been repackaged, no new ones have been produced.

Really? You think so? I'm not going to debate your numbers (I'll let others do that if they want), but assuming they are correct, I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion.

This could be simply because I don't know the specifics of their production environment, but I think it would be strange for them to pull existing consoles and repackage them. Wouldn't their production lines be set up to ensure a 1:1 console/Kinect ratio? If they are repackaging existing consoles then they would have to be stockpiling the Kinects in a warehouse somewhere, wouldn't they?

It seems more likely to me that they would just push out the remaining bundles and then restart production on just the $399 sku without manufacturing the corresponding Kinect units.

But, as you say, this goes back to how full their supply chain already is. If the situation really is so dire that they've over manufactured to the extent that they are now repurposing and warehousing the kinects from the bundles and still aren't restarting production, the situation is much much worse than people have really been talking about.

It's one thing to decide that going forward, all production will be just the $399 sku and they won't produce any more kinect units. That is my assumption. It's something else entirely to go into their warehouse of already manufactured and packaged consoles and split them up, repackage the consoles and put the kinects into storage somewhere.

I mean, that actually sounds more expensive to me than simply dropping the price of the bundle to $399. Wouldn't it be?

I believe the first 3 million were day 1 editions.

No way, it was supposed to cover pre-orders. They converted to the normal SKUs at launch. They probably made 0.5m with poor distribution and pre-orders they spread them out later, only to be undercut by other bundles.

I can't fathom how a PS4 bundle not released for a few months is outselling the new $399 XB1 SKU

On Amazon

Edit: And it's currently 52nd, so followed a predictable pattern for a niche pre order item of an initial burst followed by a falloff. IIRC it started in the top 20, even top 15.

Gamestop too. Destiny bundle is 82 and the kinectless XB1 is 109 (PS4 is 53).
http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=2b50,28-xu0

Destiny bundle isn't near the top at bestbuy or walmart, though.

The Destiny bundle has been hanging around 50 at amazon for a few days now. I haven't been watching it the whole time so I dunno if it has been steadily dropping. Pre-orders will go up closer to release.

Gamestop too. Destiny bundle is 82 and the kinectless XB1 is 109 (PS4 is 53).
http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=2b50,28-xu0

Destiny bundle isn't near the top at bestbuy or walmart, though.

The Destiny bundle has been hanging around 50 at amazon for a few days now. I haven't been watching it the whole time so I dunno if it has been steadily dropping. Pre-orders will go up closer to release.

ps4bundle.png

Thanks.

So while the Destiny bundle obviously fell off from when it was initially revealed, it's still holding well, even above the XB1. Currently the Destiny bundle is 46 and the XB1 is 61. I could see them selling 100-200k Destiny bundles in the US alone in September.

I'd be quite suprised if XONE manages to sell more than PS4 this month in the US. However it will interesting to see if Amazon is indeed a realiable source to tell who is winning each month, so far they got right every month since November.

I'd be quite suprised if XONE manages to sell more than PS4 this month in the US. However it will interesting to see if Amazon is indeed a realiable source to tell who is winning each month, so far they got right every month since November.

By what definition has Amazon got every month right since November?

Just for clarity's sake :p

I'm shocked that people still buy consoles via direct shipment. How many reports of broken BR drives we're a direct result of the shipper mishandling the product.

Personally, I've heard of none, and you'll be completely covered by warranty too should you open the box and find the BR drive doesn't work (which it's impossible to prove is a result of poor handling during delivery, and the drives shouldn't be that fragile either).

When my PS4 arrived I had the chance to "accept it with reserve" (and I did it) which meant that if I had found that it didn't work properly I would have been able to return it and get a refund or a replacement.
This is valid with almost every product and also there are other warranties imposed by the law on the long therm (3-6-12-24 months) that protect me as a customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japanese market flat for H1 2014; PS3 sales beating Wii U

An increase in hardware sales and a decrease in software has left the Japanese games market flat for the first half of 2014, according to Famitsu data.

Hardware sales grew 6.4 per cent compared to the same period last year while software sales declined 3.8 per cent, leaving the overall market up just 0.1 per cent.

3DS is the best selling console so far in 2014, with sales nearly double that of nearest rival the Vita. PS4 sales are double that of the PS3 which itself is ahead of Nintendo’s Wii U.

3DS – 1,079,166 units
PS Vita – 639,730 units
PS4 – 613,785 units
PS3 – 300,386 units
Wii U – 291,605 units
PSP – 80,251 units
Xbox 360 – 6,421 units
Wii – 6,194 units

PSP –19,688,744 units total
3DS – 15,773,177 units total
Wii –12,744,273 units total
PS3 –9,868,886 units total
PS Vita –2,914,869 units total
Wii U –1,810,032 units total
Xbox 360 –1,613,980 units total
PS4 –613,785 units total

I always thought 3DS lead in Japan... congrats PSP.

If Amazon ships you a bum unit they have to take it back and eat the shipping cost. Of course if you bought it locally you would be able to drive back and replace it sooner, but who likes leaving the house? I bought my two PS3s and my PS4 at Amazon.

lol ok. No worries and I apologize for going off topic there. I totally recognize that Amazon has a solid refund/replacement process, but I suppose me personally, I'd hate to have to wait to get my replacement unit when I'm just looking to open the box and have fun, so when it comes to hardware I always like to pick it up from the store directly.

As per my original topic as to why I thought there was a higher correlation with this failed units with online shipments links are attached below. But anyway, correlation isn't causation so we can end the discussion on this point here. I still chuckle at the X1, oh man, that dot matrix printer.

X1 Drive Problems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7jHLsW-5s

PS4 Blue Light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FwlK-jU8Yg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back