All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the next three months will tell us what the demand really is for these new console's, surely the hardcore have there machine of choice now and its the turn of whatever you would call the much bigger group thats just beneath the hardcore.

Maybe call them hardcore lite :)

And:
PS4 + XBO software sales comprised 36% of the software market (27% last month).

I guess when I think about this, I have already bought a bunch of titles. Last gen launch I think I had one game.

Titanfall holding up pretty well in UK. Due to bundling, but that still suggests at least healthy hardware sales. Also 360 is a PS2 like beast in UK...must be even stronger 360 market than USA.

Week 17, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (02) 360 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP BRAZIL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (03) XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (04) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
04 (01) 360 TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (05) PS3 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP BRAZIL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (09) 360 PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (07) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (08) 360 SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)
09 (13) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (11) PS4 INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

I understand X1 has strong discounts in the UK currently. Shame thats no longer the case in U.S.

Here's a scary graph for Nintendo I saw at VGchartz forums

Sales.png

Basically the guy's point was, if you look at the Wii as an anomaly, then The Wii U is placing exactly where you'd expect, tracking behind the Gamecube.

Its not like its set in stone. Imagine how great N64 would have been if it used CDs instead of expensive cartridges which killed 3rd party support among other things including restrictive 3rd party clauses, it would have gotten FF7 which was originally designed for N64.

Nintendo needs a slap back into reality, it has to react and adjust to the competitive environment, hopefully Wiiu slaps some sense into them.

But hey even mircrosoft got caught up in the whole innovation thing with the bundling of the Kinect which may or may not bring real innovation to games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about anecdotal sales, PS4 was still sold put yesterday, but I did see a bunch of Xbox Ones, that apparently were imported or something like that. Also, my manager is currently payig for his sons 360 live subscription, amd cited it as an important reason to not very soon get something new like it. He also told me his son is currently set on getting a slim PS3 to catch up with the games he's missed so far.

Other young folk I talked to (through music school where I have guitar lessons) are interested in Xbox One but are spending their money on ridiculously expensive smartphones instead.

Other young folk I talked to (through music school where I have guitar lessons) are interested in Xbox One but are spending their money on ridiculously expensive smartphones instead.

Speaking of similar anecdotal, I just came back from a trip to Montreal doing the friends and family world tour and was surprised that no one back home had a next gen console, not one friend or family member. Some are just keeping their old console as it's good enough, some switched to pc for gaming, but the lions share of them have switched to tablets and phones for their gaming. I thought I was going to be the only one passing on this gen but that turned out to not be the case at all. It is interesting how people seem totally ok spending piles of money yearly on phones and tablets.

Nintendo shy away from direct competition, they will keep trying for lightning in a bottle until they are out of cash.

Here's a recent example of them shying away from competition:

At this point their console sales are low enough there's probably little reason to justify the expense of an e3.

Weirdly, I've been watching the Amazon charts and somehow the X1 TF bundle has actually been rising lately (#20 currently). Despite the return to $499.

I was expecting the X1 to fall way down once it back to 499. Maybe to 50's-60's.

Another interesting thing I noticed is Target no longer carries the TF bundle at all. I'm guessing it's the beginning of it eventually selling out. Heck it just occurred to me maybe that's why it's rising on amazon, if it's increasingly unavailable elsewhere.

A check of Best Buy stock indicates TF bundle still available online and a all local B&M. But Gamestop OTOH, it's unavailable online and wont let me search for store availability (just kicks me back to homepage when I try). WM has it both online and in all local stores (although WM's inventory checker sucks I think, so not sure I believe this).

Also I found another "best sellers" thing to look at, Gamestop has one on the front page

ny1NZBz.png

Not really much can be gleaned, or how often it's updated etc. I assume it's left to right order and pretty up to date if we assume Spidey 2 is #1. But I do see there's no TF bundle there, just the Forza bundle green X1, correlating with expectation. Much like the Best Buy bestsellers, it's quite limited, but I like to look at something besides Amazon all the time as I dont think they always give a true picture.

Edit: they do have a more detailed software only ranking here http://www.gamestop.com/browse/games?nav=13ffff2418. Imagine it's been around I just wasn't aware of it. It doesn't entirely match with the front page graphic.

The front page (the one the image is of) list can make sense if we combine Spidey SKUS, and assume there's price weighting going on (thus pushing the $129 Tales Of Xillia CE up the list)

Anyways this is what you get when you go to games/all on GS and sort by "bestselling" (top 10)

#1 MLB 14 PS4
#2 Destiny PS4
#3 Amazing Spiderman 2 X360
#4 Destiny X1
#5 Amazing Spiderman 2 PS4
#6 Watch Dogs PS4
#7 Amazing Spiderman 2 PS3
#8 MLB 2k13 X360 (huh?? Some kind of recent sale maybe?)
#9 Lego the Hobbit X360
#10 Gears of War 2 X360 (appears to be on sale for 99c used?)

It's not really climbing. AFAIK it's been hanging around 20-25 since the 449 promo ended (currently 21st). It was 9-13 when it was 449. In March it was ranked 11th, and it's ranked 25th in April so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I dont remember exactly, but it went out of the top 20 to 20-30, I just assumed it was going way down, then I saw it had the green up arrow and was back to 20 when I checked. Surprised me.

For what it's worth (not all that much), MS reported 1.4m X1 games sold in March NPD. From JVM's Uk figures, we can try to compare market size. 835k in the "1st quarter", but I guess we need to adjust that March NPD was 5 week. Doing all that we come out (assuming sales were evenly spread throughout the UK months) we come up with an estimate of 321k X1 games sold in Uk in March.

So by that, admittedly very flawed, theory, the USA market is "only" 4.36X as large as UK for x1 software for March, admitting the dates probably dont even align and so forth and so on..

If anything it's more than I expected. Previously I had done something like "markets similarly large game consumers, UK~60m, USA~300m, therefore USA~5X UK". Granted there's so much variability there as to render it fairly useless, but I guess the takeaway to me is UK may be slightly larger compared to US than I expected.

Realistically I'd still probably spitball with the 5X figure. Just too many variables to say anything more specific. Maybe sometimes I'd assume 4.5X instead. But I guess it does help to validate the range.

Titanfall bundle is the main by far XOne console people would be buying to be fair. Basically the default. We even got NPD specs to that effect.

Only once it sells out they'll have to revert to the less desirable (for most I assume) Forza bundle. There is no standalone X1 currently I think (except the Day One edition temporarily back in stock on Amazon). Although since it has no special colored box the Forza "bundle" is closer to the default SKU, in principle if not sales.

More "interesting" imo was X1 only had one software title in the top 100 that I saw, versus several for PS4. Granted that one (TF) was the highest ranking next gen software. Even in March X1 had multiple software in the top 100.

I still dont think Amazon tells much though. We know X1 sold more software than PS4 in March in NPD for example, but it's certainly not reflected in Amazon charts (granted I suppose the single title Titanfall has a huge effect on that, as it sold 865k of the total 1.4 million x1 games sold in March)

So, after looking that Amazon April top-100 ranking list... situation is not good for Xbone software. Only Titanfall was ranked and nothing else.

Hardware:
#5 - PS4 basic package
#25 - Xbox One Titanfall Bundle

Software:
#4 - Titanfall [X360]
#8 - Titanfall [Xbone]
#23 - Fifa 14 [PS4]
#24 - MLB 14 [PS4]
#27 - Infamous Second Son [PS4]
#34 - Watch Dogs [PS4]
#35 - TLOU Remastered [PS4]
#51 - BF4 [PS4]