A new exclusive 360 game to be revealed soon? (Table Tennis)

blakjedi said:
:rolleyes: It does look incredible though. This is almost a slap in the face to MS...

I don't really see how this is a slap in the face to MS, at least not from Rockstar. If anything, this is IGN trying to stir crap up, hyping people up for a game that they know everyone is going to be disappointed in. If this same article appeared today without yesterday's article, it'd be nothing more than a new game announcement.

PG2G said:
I don't really see how this is a slap in the face to MS, at least not from Rockstar. If anything, this is IGN trying to stir crap up, hyping people up for a game that they know everyone is going to be disappointed in. If this same article appeared today without yesterday's article, it'd be nothing more than a new game announcement.
You have a point there.

Exclusives are games that everyone wishes was on their console and generally improves the value proposition of a console.

This doesn't exactly fit that definition does it?

PG2G said:
There is actually a chance that Rockstar wanted this to happen. Without the stir no one would give a damn about this game now it's the talk of the town.

WTF?

I was going to say something, but I can't even remember now.

Oh yes, now I remember: IGNXbox has to be the lowest of the low.

expletive said:
Had rockstar ever made an exclusive for the original xbox?

Generally it's more correct to deem a third party game 'exclusive' when all competitors are out. As inferred from the interview, it's an exclusive by virtue of there being no other next generation platforms available to release it on.

blakjedi said:
Exclusives are games that everyone wishes was on their console and generally improves the value proposition of a console.

This doesn't exactly fit that definition does it?

Hard to say unless you've played it, no?

Ask anyone if some previously seen mini-game like say, "geometry wars" would improve the value of a console?

I know exactly what Rockstar is trying to achieve ("intensity")...and if they can, I think they could have a big hit. Having said that, this is very difficult to achieve. I'd say this is one of the reasons geometry wars is so popular: "intensity."

In particular, I can easily see a game like this doing very well in Japan...I assume it will be sold there as well.

Mmmkay said:
Generally it's more correct to deem a third party game 'exclusive' when all competitors are out. As inferred from the interview, it's an exclusive by virtue of there being no other next generation platforms available to release it on.

Ok, I didnt realize it was coming out that soon.

Mmmkay said:

No that doesn't make it exclusive. Madden 06 is not a x360 exclusive just because PS3 and Rev are not yet out.

MGS4 is and exclusive because NOTHING else will get the game and that game drives sales. Big difference.

As far as gwars is concerned it IS exclusive to XBLA but was never billed as such...

blakjedi said:
No that doesn't make it exclusive. Madden 06 is not a x360 exclusive just because PS3 and Rev are not yet out.

MGS4 is and exclusive because NOTHING else will get the game and that game drives sales. Big difference.

Madden 06 was released on more than one platform... I'm saying it's not a particularly fair use of the term 'exclusive' here because no platform has been expicitly excluded like with normal exclusive games. In the literal sense, yes this is exlcusive, but for our general use of the word in videogameland I don't think it is.

expletive: The article says May, but that may not be accurate I guess. With a $40 price tag and seemingly heavy into development I'd suggest it going to come out before all 3 consoles are on the market.

[edit]You know what... I have no idea why I'm going down this road, sorry. It seemed like expletive was hinting at some tides changing with Rockstar's outlook on the console market, but that's just in my head. For all intents and purposes this is an Xbox 360 exlcusive game, I'm sorry for the random derailment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmkay said:
[edit]You know what... I have no idea why I'm going down this road, sorry. It seemed like expletive was hinting at some tides changing with Rockstar's outlook on the console market, but that's just in my head. For all intents and purposes this is an Xbox 360 exlcusive game, I'm sorry for the random derailment.

Well to be honest i asked because I do think it could point to rockstar having a more favorable impression of the 360 as being a profitable enough platform worth exclusive content. That said, i think its impossible to hint at a 'changing of the tide' at this point in the next gen. I think its perfectly possible for the 360 to sell a lot more consoles yet still trail sony by a significant margin by 2011. (e.g. 70 million vs 50 million or something like that). However 50 million is still a platform worth exclusive content but doesnt put the 360 as the market leader and, imo, signifiy a 'changing of the tide'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about the reason for doing a table tenis game:

-Appeal to new audience
-Offset bad PR
-Showcase incredibly detailed graphics (because of the small, enclosed arenas with the focal point being 2 players, 1 table, a ball, and dark, washed out background - similar assets and graphical detail to that of a fighting game....ie. see what fightnight 3 has been capable of)
-Relatively short development time

fulcizombie said:
Here's what's wrong with it:
PS3-next gen GTA
Xbox360-....ping pong,,,,

This seems like an insult to MS and the game won't sell more than 1000 copies.

Except we have no reason to believe that GTA4 will be exclusive to PS3.

ROG27 said:
Think about the reason for doing a table tenis game:

-Appeal to new audience
-Offset bad PR
-Showcase incredibly detailed graphics (because of the small, enclosed arenas with the focal point being 2 players, 1 table, a ball, and dark, washed out background - similar assets and graphical detail to that of a fighting game....ie. see what fightnight 3 has been capable of)
-Relatively short development time

Makes perfect sense, especially since theyre only charging $40 for it.

Hopefully its fun. I think it definitely *could* be, especially on Live. (Not sure if trash-talking translates well to ping-pong though :) )

Back