"5 true tech innovators"

I believe the Ion Cannon is the best out of the 5 inventions.
Can you believe the amount of energy needed to operate the thing? It will surely make pocket feul cells look like todays double A batts. :D

Pocket fuel cells arent all that anyway, the energy density of non hydrogen fuel cells is limited ... and they produce CO2 ;) The energy density of hydrogen fuel cells is limited too in small format devices since they cant just store it in a pressure tank in liquid form, they need to use metal matrices.

The miniturisation and increased longevity of battery life and manufacturing process has had an enormous, and to me, the biggest impact on human life within the last 20 years or so.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I believe the Ion Cannon is the best out of the 5 inventions.
Can you believe the amount of energy needed to operate the thing? It will surely make pocket feul cells look like todays double A batts. :D

I am more curious about its tactical use. Did the article mention how the gun will charged during deploment? Will it be cost affective to bombard areas with large amounts of Hydrogen Ions?

I am still wondering where all the hydrogen fuel cell alarmists are.

KILER:

Where in that article do they discuss the ion cannon? The inventions they do talk about mostly suck.

digitalwanderer said:
Is that a real honest-to-gods projected hologram?!?!? :oops:
Technically it's not a hologram, but it looks like one.

I actually posted a news story about this on my web site earlier today. Although if I'd seen this thread I would have posted the news story over a year ago. :)

Here's what I wrote.

IO2Technology has an interesting free-space display called Heliodisplay. The image floats in mid-air above the display unit, doesn't require glasses to view it, and can even be touched. The image is projected in two dimensional space, but supposedly the images appear to be three dimensional when viewed from more than a few feet away. The videos available on the web site seem to corroborate this statement.

The Heliodisplay technology is patent pending so IO2's web site doesn't contain much technical information. The displayed images are up to 22" diagonal and all the video sources you'd expect are supported. Touching the image provides no physical feedback, but a finger can be used as cursor, turning the Heliodisplay into a virtual touchscreen.

color.jpg

I'd be more interested about that genetics stuff, but we're not there yet. Maybe in 50 years or so we'll be able to really prolong the life or heal genetic failures.

Back