3D Dot Heroes (From Software)

The shadows and depth of field seems very, very good though. So unless this is a bullshot, there may be more to it than meets the eye :D

Whatever its tech though, this game has me giddy with excitement. I just love it. I don't even know if I'll like the gameplay, but I'm just thrilled it exists.

Lots of jaggies, so it can't be a bullshot. DOf is no big deal. Shadows...they've only got the one daylight shadow. A high-resoltuion shadowmap would work. The second image looks like shadow aliasing on the near-fence shadow.

looks very nice + different
I dont believe theyre using voxels (did they state that)
a possible reason why theyve gone for the block look is cause of destructability
eg heres a game I wrote which follows the same principal, u can shoot a guys arm off or explode it into many pieces etc + it behaves correctly unlike killzone2,halo,COD etc which dont
KEA_2009-07-08_4.jpg

Yeah, stupid "similar threads" didn't pick it up and neither did a search for 3D Dot, although that was most likely due to 3D being too short a term. :LOL:

This game could be great cant wait to see it in action! Hope its pretty much a clone of Link to the Past miss games like that, last great one i remember was was Alundra on PSX!

I see this is a RPG, donno about that but anyways
what I would like to see is something along the lines of what spore should of been

Ppl create there creatures (in this case out of blocks) + then fight them.
We used to do this with lego as a kid (though had various criteria 1 point for winning the speed race, 1 point for destructability etc)

It would be extremely hard to program though

I would never thought that such projects can still get the green light. I am impressed...

Can't wait to see how the reviewers react to this.

I'm aware this looks better, it didn't have anything to do with the quality of the graphics in this picture, but the fact it's blocks. But, whatever..the game is charming.

More screens: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17312710&postcount=357

... shows giant octopus, boomarang, arrow in-flight, and some destructions.

Wonder how they are going to do water/waves since there's an octopus in-game. If it's a PSN title, probably nothing fantastic. Kinda hope that it's a full game.

The full Japanese name is, "3D Dot Game Heroes"

EDIT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17346412&postcount=374

Rumor has it that Atlus and Ignition are both bidding on this.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/31/3d_dot_game_heroes_detailed/

The Japanese media was given a first chance to try out From Software's 3D Dot Game Heroes today at a press-only demo event

From has thus far offered looks at two types of main characters: a hero and a prince. Joining these two is a "traveling student" main character. Each of these three can be chosen in male and female varieties.

4Gamer says that there appears to be some differences between the character types, with some being better with swords and others with magic, so perhaps character changes will play into the game.

You press circle to swing your sword, X to use your sub weapon (including, as detailed last week, a boomerang, bomb, and bow and arrow), and R1 to raise your shield. It's possible to make your character do a rotating slash as well. The game feels like a certain "Legend of something" game, according to the site.

T_T I kinda miss Wind Waker, so this game may be a vague substitute.

There might be some worries that, given the game's looks, we'd end up with a short play experience. That doesn't seem to be the case. 4Gamer's report says to expect a 24 to 30 hour play experience to clear the game. However, with its item collection aspects, a hard difficulty mode, and a "secret character mode," the play time could top 60 hours.

Takeuchi explained that he feels the game is targeted towards players in their late 20s and early 30s due to the dot visuals.

The focus for most of the game's hype has been on its visuals. But Tsuboi highlighted the game's background music, stating that the staff is putting a lot of effort into it.

As a closing message, Takeuchi said the following: "As someone who makes PlayStation 3 games, I've gotten the feeling that there are too many games that have the same look. I know there are gamers who want to play something a bit different. This title is one of our answers for that."

Spot on !!! At least for me.

Game sounds better and better the more i here about it! I have been waiting for a new zelda type game for years. I hope there is co-op with the 3 characters just like Secret of Mana

OK, don't take this as meaning I don't like the visuals, because I love the visuals and am glad devs are still doing stylistic art directions.

However, I'm disappointed that the landscape, scenery, and character models aren't actually built of small blocks. They are just textured to look like blocks (with lots of repeating textures, the trees for instance). :(

When they explode, the blocks are not only different visually but also appear larger than the textured "blocks." A bit nitpicky, I know, but it would have been even more charming if everything actually was built from different colored blocks rather than just having the appearance of being built from different colored blocks.

That all said, I still love the visuals, and wish I could get this. To me, its far more charming and compelling than the lego games.

Regards,
SB

OK, don't take this as meaning I don't like the visuals, because I love the visuals and am glad devs are still doing stylistic art directions.

However, I'm disappointed that the landscape, scenery, and character models aren't actually built of small blocks. They are just textured to look like blocks (with lots of repeating textures, the trees for instance). :(

The game world is from the 2D 16-bit era. The world of repeating props, not just textures. It fits the story and premise of the game.

When they explode, the blocks are not only different visually but also appear larger than the textured "blocks." A bit nitpicky, I know, but it would have been even more charming if everything actually was built from different colored blocks rather than just having the appearance of being built from different colored blocks.

But that's the beauty of Engineering. It is a virtue to do the same thing with the least amount of resources needed. Your suggested approach is more limiting. By optimizing the use of blocks, they can have gigantic monsters without fudging all the mini-blocks. Look at the giant Octopus. :)

Personally, I am curious how they are going to do water/wave motion.

Back