44 Reasons I Don't Have Any Friends - A List of Games I Completed in 2010

warcrow

Regular
So there I sat on New Years day toying around with the idea of throwing together a "ZOMG I'M AWESOME!" post, but I decided on something a little more constructive--a complete list of all the video games I completed in 2010. I mean, it should have the same affect right?

Now to be clear, this list is comprised of games I completed to their fullest extent. I'm talking rolling credits here folks. As an added bonus I've also included a brief one-sentence review for each title. Before we begin you must let you know that I'm an avid Left 4 Dead 2 player. As in, I've put in over 350 hours in 2010. I've also returned to World of Warcraft in December thanks to the release of Cataclysm, so now my life is especially pathetic.

Oh well, let's get the show on the road yo...

Alan Wake - A unique thriller with some pretty unnerving moments, excellently paced, and combat that can run a bit long in the tooth towards the end.

Alan Wake: The Signal - A short but interesting experience for the fans of the series.

Alan Wake: The Writer - More interesting and revealing than The Signal, built for fans of the narrative.

Assassin's Creed 2 (x1 PC, x1 Xbox 360) - Though the economy is essentially broken I found this game to be a total blast, but at times for me the challenge lied in the controls and not the enemies.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - I really enjoyed this game quite a bit. It's even more refined and has more goodies to chase than it's predecessor. It also allows you to control a brotherhood of assassin's--what's not to love? (Oops! Just broke my one-sentence rule. Oh heck let's do one more for fun!) Blah blah blah.

Bioshock 2 (x1 PC, x1 Xbox 360)- It was impossible for this game to live up to expectations, but if you just sit back and accept the game for what it's trying to do then you'll find a solid game here with combat mechanics that rivals the original.

Blur - Good fun for roughly 75% of the game. It's suppose to be some kind of modern or adult version of Mario Kart but it ran out of steam towards the end.

Civilization 5 - Binary crack. Next?

Crackdown 2 - Uuuugh! The first Crackdown is one of my favorite games of this generation, so I really wanted to love this game. Surprisingly it's less entertaining (how is this even possible Microsoft?) and almost became a chore to complete.

Dante's Inferno - Pulsating vagina's and babies oozing out of breasts, and that's just the third level. It didn't do enough gameplay-wise to make me even enjoy it.

Darksiders - Once I got past the banality of the first hour, I actually learned to appreciate Darksiders quite a bit.

Dead Nation - A fun, isometric coop zombie shooter where **** blows up real good!

Dead Rising 2 - I enjoyed this sequel much more than the first but it's wonky controls still annoyed me.

Deathspank - A strange and amusingly written game that's inspired by MMO mechanics. Unfortunately the whole thing got a little stale despite it all.

Dragon Age: Origins (x1 PC/x1 Console) - It seems to borrow a bit too much from the Lord of the Rings in both the narrative and aesthetic sense, but I loved the gameplay--video games!

Dragon Age: Awakenings - Weird, fun and with lots of foggy scenes and slimy, spiked things to fight.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - A peculiar game with stunningly well made cutscenes, outstanding voiceover work and visuals that seem to remind us that browns aren't the only colors fit for video games. However the gameplay mechanics need a bit more variety.

Fable 3 (x2) - Though I've played through this game twice and found it to be fairly fun I was still highly annoyed by some of the obtuse design decisions. Plus this game has possibly the worst map system ever created in a video game ever.

Fallout: New Vegas - With some big shoes to fill, I found FNV to be surprisingly rad--buggy--but rad!

God of War 3 - Too bloody, too gorgeous, too impressively jaunty, too many plot holes and ultimately too awesome to pass up for PS3 owners.

God of War Ghost of Sparta - Simply one of the best PSP games around, but a stark reminder of why I'm not a fan of the PSP.

Halo: Reach - Easily the best single player Halo campaign to date. Though it's coupled with a robust mulitplayer model I still lost interest after a week (I realize 75% of you are now leaving this blog).

Heavy Rain - A step forward in long video game drama, a step backwards in voice acting, a step forward in quick time interaction, a step backwards in reducing that whole uncanny valley effect but a step forward in graphical fidelity. Plus it was fun.

Just Cause 2 - A (real!) open world game where the protagonist has a grappling hook, a parachute and must destroy a bunch of things for money--I mean come ON! This is easily one of my most favorite games of 2010.

Kayne and Lynch 2: Dog Days - Dirty, slimy, bloody and stripped clean--not only does this describe the protagonist of the game but it this pretty much describes how I felt after playing the game.

King's Bounty Armored Princess - I just adore this whole series, and Armored Princess does a nice job of building on the King's Bounty experience.

Kirby's Epic Yarn - If you told me a year ago that I would enjoy a Kirby game more than a Metroid game I would have slapped you (probably with my shoe too), but that's actually the case now. It's a really fun game, don't let the looks of it fool you.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - A decidedly good game with some excellent coop puzzle elements.

Limbo - I really love that Limbo tries to tell a story that's completely left up for interpretation without arrogance, but most importantly at the end of the day it never loses sight of what it is--a well made video game.

Mafia 2 - I had a love first game, so I was anticipating the sequel immensely. Unfortunately the "window shopping only" design within the city only teased me until frustration set in. A gorgeously designed metropolis that lacks any significant amount of interesting interactivity is incoherent in today's market.

Mass Effect 2 (x2 Xbox 360, x1 PC) - A better looking game than the first, much more to do than the first, a larger cast than the first, but the narrative is far less interesting and goes essentially nowhere--loved it enough to play it three times but in the end it's just not as epic as the first.

Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond - An interesting idea that falls very very flat.

Plants vs Zombies - I've played this ridiculously addictive game on just about every platform--so, yea, great times.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - There's a reason the word forgotten is in the title.

Puzzle Quest 2 - An improvement over the first and I couldn't put it down.

Red Dead Redemption - A spaghetti western with something to say, if you pay close attention and listen to what it's trying to say then you'll realize it's the best game of 2010.

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare - Leave it up to Rockstar to prove me wrong! After this DLC was announced I scoffed at the zomibfication of yet another game, but it turned out to be a fun and wacky add-on.

Resident Evil 5 - Tank controls that didn't annoy, and ultimately lead to a lot of fun. I think we've reached a point with the series where it's in need to take a serious look at itself.

Singularity - Enjoyable enough to play all the way through, but in the end was forgettable enough that I had to check to be sure it came out this year. :(

Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions - Surprisingly fun with a ton of variety, but a little to modulated with all the different Spider-mans you control.

Splinter Cell Conviction - I really appreciate what they were going for with it's minimalistic approach but I was hoping for something as powerful as Chaos Theory, heck I would've taken something half as interesting.

Split Second Velocity - I love arcade racers and this beautiful game had enough going for it that I deemed it my favorite racer of 2010.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - An incredible amount of variety in gameplay mechanics and a ton of fun to play--and I know this is going to sound crazy--but I found it to be a tad too long.

Supreme Commander 2 - I'm a sucker for an RTS games that resembles Total Annihilation, but even then the boredom began to set in at the 15 minute mark.

The Partials! Here is a list of the games I've spent a considerable amount of time with (usually 5+ hours or so) but just didn't completed in time for this list.

Metro 2033
Monster Hunter Tri
Final Fantasy 13
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Gothic 4
Costume Quest
Bayonetta
Joe Danger
Metal of Honor
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Need For Speed: Hot Persuit
Vanquish
Dead to Rights: Retribution
3D Dot Game Heroes
Skate 3
Lost Planet 2
Dragon Quest 9
ModNation Racers
Alpha Protocol
Naughty Bear
Starcraft 2
Metroid Other M
Amnesia: The Dark Decent
Castlenavia Lord of Shadows
DJ Hero 2
Vanquish
Pac-man Championship Edition DX
Gran Turismo 5
Epic Mickey
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
Bejewled 2 Blitz

The original post is located here: http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2011/01/44-reasons-my-only-friend-is-man.html

Ah let's see...

Alan Wake - Played once. It felt like a chore. :/ I liked the flashlight/gun mechanic though. I wish I had god mode for the in-game commentary.

Bioshock 2 (PC) -I thought it was fun, but it didn't have the creepiness that I liked about the first game. The story was cute.

Dragon Age (PC) - liked the squad interaction. Lots of talking though. Seemed like a really long game. 160 hours+ (2 chars I think plus some incomplete ones) :D

God of War 3 - Pretty awesome visuals

Halo: Reach - Firefight :love:

LEGO: Rock Band - uh...... gamer score.

Mass Effect 2 - err..... something like 5-6 times (PC & 360). I've got my two profiles from ME1 (paragon fem, renegade male) on 360. Can't wait to see what the new DLC is going to be. It'll be interesting to see what happens in part 3.

Rock Band 3 - I've been so busy, I haven't been able to play much more after passing the career. I've got the keytar too.

Incomplete:

Aliens Vs Predator
Dawn of War II + Chaos Rising
Dead Nation
Rock Band: Green Day

You actually finished all those? Wow.
This year I only finished a few...

CoDMW2 (360)
BFBC2 (PC)
Halo 3 (360)
Killzone 2 (PS3 though this one might have been 2009)

Being in one's forties with a job that requires lots of international travel and two kids severely limits game time.

Let that be a large dose of birth control for you young'ns.

That's pretty err.. admirable Warcrow. ;)

Actually, I finished a fair few games myself in 2010. Had some extra time to wind down as I prepared to switch jobs and countries at the end of the month.

Aliens vs. Predator (PC) - By no means anywhere near as bad as some people said! I'm not big on MP much but playing an Alien is pretty sweet once you get the hang of it (hehe).

CoD:MW2 (PC) - Actually played this before getting started seriously on the first part. Liked it a lot. Finished it and went on to:

CoD 4:MW (PS3) - Surprisingly, not really dated at all compared to MW2. More fun stuff. But quenched my thirst for any CoDs and the like for a while.

Halo 3 (360) - Ran through it after Reach just to get some closure on how Master Chief's story continued after part 2. Game wasn't bad but had aged a bit.

Halo: Reach (360) - Really enjoyed this one, great production values and brought unexpected freshness to the franchise.

Just Cause 2 (PC) - Prolly my fave game of the year. According to Steam I spent 105 hours with it. For me, that's a lot. Still regret no romantic subplot with Bolo Santosi.

Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3): My first real submerging in an MGS game really. I recall that more than half seemed to be more or less philosophical dialogue. Dangerously close to being for complete wankers but still curiously captivating.

Mafia II (PC) - Quite a thrill ride as long as you run with the campaign, but ultimately a tad hollow and unfinished.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat (PC) - Solid fare. But by no means my favourite episode.

STALKER: Clear Sky (PC) - Played with the Complete mod, good fun, totally worth the 5$ or so it goes for on Steam usually.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) - Awesomely spectacular. Breathless from start to finish.

Halo Reach: Thankfully most of my playtime was with friends. Very awesome game.

Red Dead Redemption: I could not find anybody to play online with so I just spent 70 hours on the campaign. One of the most interesting game storylines of 2010.

Metro 2033: This had the best story of any game in 2010. It's total completionist hell though. 5 playthroughs and I'm still missing one achievement.

Battlefield Bad Company 2: I spent so much time on this and considering I only play Rush that's basically just 3-4 different maps. Pretty forgettable campaign but still a very solid game.

Just Cause 2: This was my winter break. About 80 hours put into this. I do not believe their was any change at all in difficulty between normal and hardcore.

Mass Effect 2: Best game of 2010. hands down. Did two playthroughs but had a friend and I played it together (one watching the other playing) so we were able to blitz through it pretty fast.

Brutal Legend: Wacky fun, great story, broken gameplay. Thankfully the game was pretty short. Schafer should try movies or animation I think.

Bioshock 2: It was basically Bioshock 1 with some better gameplay. I wasn't disappointed but I got it for cheap.

Far Cry 2: Very frustrating travel gameplay but not bad otherwise. The interesting subject matter was kinda diluted by the affirmative action militias.

Fable 2: I was told this game would be horrible and was very pleasantly surprised. I had a ton of fun with this one after the 1 hour tutorial stage.

Assassin's Creed 2: Take AC1 and some meat to the bones. Awesome game and beautiful cities.

Modern Warfare 2: Basically it's digital crack. I don't remember why, but I prestiged twice. My e-peen must have been gigantic back then.

That's not too bad for one year. Multiplayer games ate up most of my game time though.

Wow... Commitment to a cause!

I recently had a re-jig in my "boys room" (where my dog and I hang out) and I made four piles of just the PS3 games.

One pile I'd finished (9).
One I'd invested a "significant" amount of time in (13).
The final two were those I hadn't even tried or had spent less than an hour on (21 & 15 respectively). :(

Phew, thankfully it just dawned on me they can't all be 2010 releases.

Anyway, that doesn't include DL games or 360. God, Alan Wake I will revisit you one day. But on the upside I've cancelled all my 2011 pre-orders (including LBP2 and KZ2).

Oh yeah completely forgot about Red Dead Redemption. Actually my runner up for GOTY.

I haven't really gamed that much this year, though I've picked up the last few months.

Halo Reach: IMO best Halo yet and one of the best co-op games of the year.

BFBC2: Got the game at launch but didn't beat the single player until November some time. :p It was a decent CoD clone, but it's obvious that the meat of this game is in the multiplayer.

Mass Effect 2: Awesome game is just awesome. The planet scanning wasn't perfect, but it was an improvement over driving around on copy and paste planets with a different color palette. Everything else was improved greatly though: combat, graphics/performance, pacing, level design, etc. May be my GoTY.

Alan Wake: A game with great atmosphere and a good story. Ending was kind of "huh??" for me, but I'm hoping for a true sequel to flesh it all out.

Splinter Cell Conviction: Not a typical splinter cell per se, but still a good action game none the less. Enjoyed the story too. Hoping the next one is more like the classic games but expanded.

Naruto UNS2:
A good fighter with decent depth. Story was actually good and presented well even though I wasn't up to date with the series.

Bayonetta: Japanese craziness at it's finest. One of the best action games I've played in a long time and easily stands up to DMC, NG, and GoW.

Games I'm playing now and have yet to finish:
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Metro 2033
Medal of Honor
Forza 3
ES: Morrowind
A bunch of arcade titles.

Between moving and a good amount of travel, my time was kind of limited last year, hopefully I'll have more time this year.

Back