[360, PS3] Tekken 6

Does the game allow you to play with any continent or does it limit you to the region that your copy belongs to like in DR?

DR did not allow you to play with people that did not have a version of the game that was the same region as yours. For example I live in EU but I bought T5 from the US PSN. So I ended up playing mostly with players in the US. And the lag was terrible

No idea, as I haven't tried to play against specific users yet. However, intercontinental latency is going to be too high for this game. 250-500 ms is still a problem on a 20hz game with latency-hiding, let alone a strict timing-based fighter running at 60hz.

Hopefully they don't have a SKU-level restriction like you encountered. If so, I imagine you will be best served to buy the local version.

Out of four games released yesterday, I spent the most time with this one.

Good:
- Gameplay is top notch
- A ton of characters, all available from the start
- Online play is very good! Detailed impressions below
- Characters and environments look very good
- Oozes content, from the story cutscenes, synopsis, customizable characters and items, you name it
- Xiaoyu's 3P outfit is hot!

Bad:
- Aliasing is very pronounced, at least in the Xbox version
- HDR glow on character models is overdone
- Scenario mode is bad (no surprise!)

Since I bought the stick with the game, let me provide some thoughts on that:

Good:
- Excellent controls and layout. Stick is snappy and responsive.
- Wireless!
- Headset jack for online play

Bad:
- Too light, feels like it will slide out from under you

I had a Hori PS3 stick for VF5, but I lost it. That was a very solid, hefty stick that wasn't going anywhere. Before that I used (and still have) the legendary Tekken 2 arcade stick (grey and yellow) and that thing felt like it was carved from a rock! Not so here. This wireless stick feels like it weighs the same as a regular controller! This is very unsettling if you're used to a heavier stick. At least the controls are good and in the right place, but I feel there are better sticks out there if you are considering this one.

Back to the game:

It's hard to believe Tekken 6 has only just been released when I first played it in arcades nearly two years ago! At least it's finally here. All my favorite characters are here (except Jun, of course). What can I say about the graphics? Looks great, but I noticed quite a bit of aliasing on character models. Can't recall if the arcade was like that as well. Again, Ling's 3P costume -- 'nuff said! :)

I played quite a few online matches and it's clear that I'm a little rusty. :) There are both ranked and unranked matches with a few different match types. I just used quickmatch to find opponents. Lag ranged from almost perfect to barely tolerable, but most of the matches were on the right side of playable with a few being exceptionally responsive. The lag meter didn't seem indicative either way, though. Overall, I think they have a good implementation here and I look forward to playing online more and (hopefully) winning. :) If anyone here has the Xbox version, be sure to add me to your friends list (Ace X Face).

Thanks for the infos!

Does the game allow you to play with any continent or does it limit you to the region that your copy belongs to like in DR?

DR did not allow you to play with people that did not have a version of the game that was the same region as yours. For example I live in EU but I bought T5 from the US PSN. So I ended up playing mostly with players in the US. And the lag was terrible
I hate to say it but the region lock is kind of a smart workaround for bad network code. It makes it less likely for you to connect to an overly laggy game. There seems to be some good network code for fighters available for licensing out there. If you can't get the job done yourself let someone who knows what they are doing take care of it for you.

Region locking doesn't sound like the way to do it though, as people with a US version will be limited to US region causing even more lag to other players. They should use GeoIP.

Even better - ranked matches or match-making games should sort to players within the same region. Basic one on one (against friends) should be limitless though, regardless how the game performs...

Region locking doesn't sound like the way to do it though, as people with a US version will be limited to US region causing even more lag to other players. They should use GeoIP.

Even better - ranked matches or match-making games should sort to players within the same region. Basic one on one (against friends) should be limitless though, regardless how the game performs...
I know it sucks but I doubt they were expecting people outside of a particular region to buy a game from another region. They should have let someone who is better at doing such things take care of it because it may have cost them extra money to develop but there was a chance to get more gamers interested in purchasing the game if they did.

Yeah it does suck and I'm quite speechless that they wouldn't consider people importing their games, especially considering that this has been done to death since the PSone days when PAL users opted for NTSC for framerate reasons for one. Maybe they assumed that since HD as hit us, this shouldn't be a problem anymore... in anycase, region locking just sounds like the quick last-minute resort to hide some bad network code.

Fingers crossed that it isn't like this. :(

Bought this today and played about 4 hours of it now.

About the online mode, it's not nearly as bad as some people seem to be making it out to be. I played a bunch of matches with a friend online and we hardly noticed any lag issues. Granted we both live in the same city. But I never expected to be able to play a game like this over very long distances. I'm personally satisfied with it.

About the graphics, it's kind of hit and miss. It also depends on the stage you are playing on. Beacuse each stage has different lighting conditions. And some lighting looks more flattering on characters than others. Also some characters just look better than others. Overall I like the way pretty much all the characters look now. The backgrounds are not so great, but at least they are crazy!

After playing with blur and non-blur. No blur is better to my eyes. I actually wish there was just motion blur for cut scenes and slow motion replays. But not during the game itself.

Also loading screens I have found to be a total non issue on the PS3 version. I don't know what people are complaining about. It's barely any slower than Tekken5 DR. There is even a mode to have a "faster" version of the character select screen so you spend less time loading character portraits in that mode. Also it seems to cache the character you last selected. So unless you are constantly changing characters, it loads quite fast. I didn't time it, but it felt faster or at least on par with games like VF5 or SC4 or even SF4.

I felt loading was far worse than any other fighter I've played this gen. If there wasn't an option to install to the hard drive, I'd get rid of the game.

Have the game on 360 and PS3 now :cool:

I suspect more people have the PS3 version as i have been getting significant lag on 360 but very minimal lag on PS3. I doubt the code is any different so must just be more PS3 players near me.

One weird problem with the PS3 vesion that isnt happening on the other is some freezing and stuttering in the post round instant replays. It happens every single time, very strange...

The game's resolution drop from the arcade code's 768 vertical res certainly sticks out with the blur on in the form of aliasing (since neither support AA). The PS3's blurless mode a 2X MSAA seems good enough though.

Online is pretty much the same for both and it's peer to peer, so you'd better have a good connection and play locally to get decent performance. But I really haven't had a match that's anywhere near comparable to playing offline.

One weird problem with the PS3 vesion that isnt happening on the other is some freezing and stuttering in the post round instant replays. It happens every single time, very strange...

It froze momentarily for me during a laggy match. Scared the hell out of me.

"the last game was not completed properly you have been penalized"

WTF. I won every game. now i have loses, bur I never lost and i have the replays to prove it.

Yep i have been having the same problem. Quite often i get a connection error during the replay after i have won and get penalised for it, doesnt make any sense why would you intentionaly disconnect after winning a match :mad:

Fair enough if a network error happened during a match but it is always during the replay!

Yep i have been having the same problem. Quite often i get a connection error during the replay after i have won and get penalised for it, doesnt make any sense why would you intentionaly disconnect after winning a match :mad:

Fair enough if a network error happened during a match but it is always during the replay!

I always get it after the game ends, says i wins, updates my rank on the screen, gets a network error just before the replay save screen comes up, well after the game has ended, then the next game i get penalized.

I finally beat that Nancy pansy and got the platinum trophy!

I tried like 10+ times to beat that robot with my Kazuya. I would keep getting him down to like 5% and then he would KO me or drop me through a hole or something.

Then I switched to Lili and bam! I nailed him on my first try! All I was doing was spamming her b+1+4 charge attack over and over and it would stun him. And when he dared do his 1 hit kill moves I just side stepped out of the way.

I'm playing through the campaign right now, tyring to "get it out of the way" (and get a lot of money / custom items for king).

Is the Nancy section really that hard? I've been hearing nothing but complaints about it, lol.

Question: I notice when you win items, they have stats attached, but buying them you get none...is this always the case? Or are items won different from items bought (as in you can't buy the ones you win?).

Finally bought it and I am must say that I am greatly impressed.

It looks much better than I thought and the soundtrack is top notch for a fighting game. Probably the best I have ever heard for the genre.

The flow of the gameplay has finally been improved and it is comparable to that of VF.

The animations are much more fluid and have changed to make all players play and feel unique compared to the older Tekkens where some gave the impression that they were clones.

The timing is slightly different than I remember. But I might be misled by the different animations and blurr effects.

I think I will have to go back to the "drawing board" regarding the learning curve. Everything I have learned so far is not enough to survive in Tekken 6. I have to expand my timing and jaggling combos in order to be competitive.

Some characters feel like completely new players although the majority of their move combinations are the same. Law is probably the best example of this. I am so used to the animation of moves of the old Tekkens that I find it confusing at the beginning to perform them until I get used to them.

All the changes they made are most welcome ofcourse and I am beginning to learn my favorite characters again.

Tekken 6 is almost as deep (if not completely) as VF5 now for me.

It is tremendously fun. I havent had such a fun experience with a fighting game for ages despite that I was buying almost every major 3D fighter released on consoles (including SF4)

Back