[360, PS3] Tekken 6

Is it just me or does this really look like a last gen game? Even Soul Calibur 4 looks a lot better.... :oops:

Even VF5 had better-looking lighting and characters, it's strange but Tekken 6's characters and lighting definitely look subpar.

Even VF5 had better-looking lighting and characters, it's strange but Tekken 6's characters and lighting definitely look subpar.

Hold that thought until you see it running on hardware yourself; it's better than either VF5 or SCIV but you may prefer the art direction of those two. The game's highlight are the smooth animations, which IMO are the best in the genre.

The arenas are also multi-tiered unlike Namco's own SCIV, which is technically a newer game since Tekken 6's first version is actually 2 years old now. The updated Bloodline Rebellion that added motion blur is a year old too.

I don't know if I'd agree with the models looking "sub par". The T6 character models are extremely detailed and high poly, the difference is texture work and lighting.

That said, T6 boasts a lot more on the effects side, and having multi-tier stages takes away from what they can do, as opposed to the square arena's of VF5.

I hope they fix the online part this time. Tekken 5 (PS3) online was broken for me...it worked maybe 3-4 times and did not work (brutal lag, connection errors) 1mio times I tried.

I even have hopes to play this online with my buddy living in the US (crossing all fingers available), so that I can beat up his freaking Paul with my 'never to old for a brawl' Heihachi :smile:

Havent tried it online but heard that the net code of this game is absolutely poo...if its true then its really sad since the gameplay is such a treat for a tekken fan like me....makes me wish that Namco shud have had concentrated more on the netcode & less on the object motion blur :(

Havent tried it online but heard that the net code of this game is absolutely poo...if its true then its really sad since the gameplay is such a treat for a tekken fan like me....makes me wish that Namco shud have had concentrated more on the netcode & less on the object motion blur :(

Yes, I heard this as well :cry:

My problem is, that my Tekken buddy now lives in the US, thus online is the only chance to play it with him.
First time ever (since Tekken 1): we are currently debating if we buy a/the new Tekken iteration.
As Tekken basically is focused on the multiplayer part, I am currently shocked (reading in reviews that online lag is big) that they did not drastically enhance the netcode.
It seems that some devs just don't want to sell their games. They should have skipped this crazy Tekken force mode and instead should have focused on an outstanding, seemingless online experience (see Burnout Paradise), to separate Tekken from the croud and to introduce some evolution, i.e. get some better reviews.
Summarizing, I conclude with a loud: boo!! (and not Bu-urns)
:mad:

What a pitty, but to be really honest, I didn't have much faith in Namco in delivering on the MP-Online part. Tekken 5 that was sold on PSN and Soul Calibur 4 were quite bad already.

It's a real shame actually, as I was looking forward to playing some online matches against a good friend via online. If it's a pain to use, I don't think I will and at the same time, there's not much incentive to buy the game in the first place.

It's especially disappointing, considering there's so much potential in this genre in the online component. Online tournaments, tag-team fights, one-on-one...

I am really sad as I really love this game...but online is the only means by which I can play this game with a human opponent and with bad netcode I am left to play with AI which is no fun for me as it lacks challenge ..... :( Boooo Namco

Where are you hearing the MP code is terrible?

I can't see how it can be that bad. Both SC4 and Tekken5 DR had decent playability as long as you have both players with a decent connection with good latency between them.

Probably the early reports are from people trying to play with people across country or even in other countries since the number of players must be small right now because the game is not officially out.

Tekken 5 DR good playability? Maybe in Japan - it was a pain to get into a online match with a friend who lives in the same town. And we both had at least 20Mbps internet connections.

Not only that, but the whole online component is/was a pain to use. SC4 is better, but not by much. It's quite outdated in that regard.

Tekken 5 DR good playability? Maybe in Japan - it was a pain to get into a online match with a friend who lives in the same town. And we both had at least 20Mbps internet connections.

Not only that, but the whole online component is/was a pain to use. SC4 is better, but not by much. It's quite outdated in that regard.

On PS3, the SC4 voice chat only worked before and after the round not during the round which is so stupid. I really hope that is not the case in T6.

It's especially disappointing, considering there's so much potential in this genre in the online component. Online tournaments, tag-team fights, one-on-one...
Yes, thats exactly what I thought about.

Where are you hearing the MP code is terrible?

I can't see how it can be that bad. Both SC4 and Tekken5 DR had decent playability as long as you have both players with a decent connection with good latency between them.

Probably the early reports are from people trying to play with people across country or even in other countries since the number of players must be small right now because the game is not officially out.

I am quite surprised you mentioned Tekken 5 DR, as I had a lot of problems with the online part!
Regarding Tekken 6, see for instance the G4TV review. They stated

G4TV said:
Though with how awful one-on-one versus plays online based on our reviewable pre-release discs, I wonder if it’s even worth it. Myself and X-Play's Matt Keil, who were likely the only players on the servers at the time, both had four green-bar connection ratings and we still encountered stutters, terrible input command lag and freezes in every one of our matches.
which is not a good sign in my opinion. But, as Tekken 6 is the only interesting choice for me, I keep waiting for other impressions.

I guess so, but I have to mention that I've actually had a good experience with the PSN version of Tekken 5 DR as well. It's definitely not perfect, but I've had some great matches and can't really remember having played with anyone that was so bad it was unplayable.

Maybe I should clarify:
The experience once I got into a game, was okay-ish. Neither flawless nor was it very good. It worked I guess. May I ask though - how did you get into any games? I was only able to get this to work with a friend, but when I tried to play against other people online - it never worked. I was able to watch others play each other, but I never got to play myself. And there wasn't any instruction manual and the options the game offers are not very transparent either.

I just refuse to think that I am too daft to figure it out, yet Tekken 5 DR is one of the mysteries I wasn't able to solve yet.

Even when playing against a friend, we had to try it numerous times until it worked, despite both having flawless internet connections. Luckily, we coordinated things over the phone, but that still didn't solve the issues we had on at least every 2nd attempt.

I play lots of games online: KZ2, Warhawk, R2, RFROM, Wipeout, LBP... they all are pretty much flawless in comparison... :$

I'm sure there's room for improvement, but given that timing is so critical to fighters, I can't imagine any client-side prediction or animation fixup being possible. The best approach is probably to synchronize both peers. I played a bit of T5 online and it looked like that's what they were doing. I had a lot of good matches online though, I don't recall the experience being worse than any other online fighter.

I should have my copy tonight, so I'll try it out.

I just cancelled my Tekken 6 pre-order. Shame as I really enjoy the series (easily my favorite fighting game series) Tekken Dark Resurrection Online and SCIV were both nigh unplayable online for me, and if T6 really is no better then I'm out. Streetfighter IV is a game that puts just as much emphasis on strict timing, and it works great.

I just cancelled my Tekken 6 pre-order. Shame as I really enjoy the series (easily my favorite fighting game series) Tekken Dark Resurrection Online and SCIV were both nigh unplayable online for me, and if T6 really is no better then I'm out. Streetfighter IV is a game that puts just as much emphasis on strict timing, and it works great.

This actually isn't true. The windows in SFIV are considerably larger than past SF titles. Tekken has smaller windows for a lot of the precision moves.

That said, no fighter is really fun online for me, because the experience is all about social interaction with real people to me. Though, I understand not eveyrone has that benefit.

Out of four games released yesterday, I spent the most time with this one.

Good:
- Gameplay is top notch
- A ton of characters, all available from the start
- Online play is very good! Detailed impressions below
- Characters and environments look very good
- Oozes content, from the story cutscenes, synopsis, customizable characters and items, you name it
- Xiaoyu's 3P outfit is hot!

Bad:
- Aliasing is very pronounced, at least in the Xbox version
- HDR glow on character models is overdone
- Scenario mode is bad (no surprise!)

Since I bought the stick with the game, let me provide some thoughts on that:

Good:
- Excellent controls and layout. Stick is snappy and responsive.
- Wireless!
- Headset jack for online play

Bad:
- Too light, feels like it will slide out from under you

I had a Hori PS3 stick for VF5, but I lost it. That was a very solid, hefty stick that wasn't going anywhere. Before that I used (and still have) the legendary Tekken 2 arcade stick (grey and yellow) and that thing felt like it was carved from a rock! Not so here. This wireless stick feels like it weighs the same as a regular controller! This is very unsettling if you're used to a heavier stick. At least the controls are good and in the right place, but I feel there are better sticks out there if you are considering this one.

Back to the game:

It's hard to believe Tekken 6 has only just been released when I first played it in arcades nearly two years ago! At least it's finally here. All my favorite characters are here (except Jun, of course). What can I say about the graphics? Looks great, but I noticed quite a bit of aliasing on character models. Can't recall if the arcade was like that as well. Again, Ling's 3P costume -- 'nuff said! :)

I played quite a few online matches and it's clear that I'm a little rusty. :) There are both ranked and unranked matches with a few different match types. I just used quickmatch to find opponents. Lag ranged from almost perfect to barely tolerable, but most of the matches were on the right side of playable with a few being exceptionally responsive. The lag meter didn't seem indicative either way, though. Overall, I think they have a good implementation here and I look forward to playing online more and (hopefully) winning. :) If anyone here has the Xbox version, be sure to add me to your friends list (Ace X Face).

Does the game allow you to play with any continent or does it limit you to the region that your copy belongs to like in DR?

DR did not allow you to play with people that did not have a version of the game that was the same region as yours. For example I live in EU but I bought T5 from the US PSN. So I ended up playing mostly with players in the US. And the lag was terrible

Back