[360, PS3] Mass Effect 2 *(Spoiler Warning)

PC version should be quite cheap nowadays and run on almost any reasonable system.
Or there's the 360 version... ;)

Although it'd still prevent them from importing a character, but if there really is an interactive comic to generate save files then PS3 users could still control their Shepard's decisions from the first game.

Mass Effect 2 was a big improvement in lots of ways, but a bit of a disappointment in others.

The actual mechanics of fighting are much better for example, and there's less time in elevators (well, none to speak of), but the game isn't as immersive and doesn't feel as epic.

I loved that you could walk from the Ambassadors office, through the pressidium, down to the lower levels, up onto the docks, into your ship and down to your quarters all without seeing a single loading screen. Now it's all just a polygons with a door texture and FMV loading screens. The citadel went from feeling epic to feeling like three poxy box rooms stacked on top of each other where nothing happened.

The feeling that a battle could kick off anywhere, at any time, was cool in the first. It was like walking around Babylon 5 or something. Now the "fighting" sections are clearly separated and it loses something that was quite special.

The ending to ME1 was superb. 2 was good but nothing like as dramatic or "NOW I GOING SAFE GALAXY!!!!"

Edit, and spoiler:
The all-FMV spaceship "battle" at the end was bullshit.

But ME2 is still great. It looks amazing (crappy FMV loading screens apart) and the Tali subplot was brilliant. Can't wait for ME3.

Another edit: the writing in ME2 is top notch - some of the inter-NPC conversations that you can listen in on had me in stitches. Brilliant in-jokes and sharp, witty dialogue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The change that disappointed me the most in Mass Effect 2 was the lack of Mako...Granted, the Mako was poorly implemented in ME1, but instead of making it better they chose to take it away completely

When exploring a planet in ME2 it's as if the planet only consists of linear corridors, but in ME1 you could drive around on the planet, giving a sense of big scale and exploration

The actual mechanics of fighting are much better for example, and there's less time in elevators (well, none to speak of), but the game isn't as immersive and doesn't feel as epic.

I loved that you could walk from the Ambassadors office, through the pressidium, down to the lower levels, up onto the docks, into your ship and down to your quarters all without seeing a single loading screen.

The actual size of the levels combined is far, far bigger in ME2, they just split it up into smaller chunks.
Most of ME1 is spent driving around random generated landscapes and the same repetitive side quest levels. The main story mission has about 7 parts, whereas ME2 has a dozen loyalty missions, ten recruitment missions, and 5-6 story missions; and also all the side quests have individual maps as well. You don't drive around, sort loot, visit and re-visit ships to sell/buy... and still the second game takes longer to complete!

The Citadel was a huge hub world to explore in the first game - it was epic but it was also intimidating and overwhelming on the first playthrough. It was easy to get lost, get scared about all the assignments added to the journal, especially with all the other features opening up, from shops to extra squad mates. It also became boring to browse through later in the game, with only a few points of interest (shop, NPC etc) in every section. And there were load hiccups ;)

There's probably a better balance between this extreme and the sequel's solution of giving you several hub worlds that you can visit throughout the game - which are however smaller, and have some of their sections only opened for a single mission.
It's probably also about having a different focus in the sequel, the single main story thread is split into a dozen smaller ones. I'd guess you'll have less recruitment/loyalty missions in ME3 and instead a more focused story, which should bring back longer "levels".

The feeling that a battle could kick off anywhere, at any time, was cool in the first. It was like walking around Babylon 5 or something. Now the "fighting" sections are clearly separated and it loses something that was quite special.

I agree about that, but at least they work better, you either don't have any good cover in ME1 or it blocks your sight of the rest of the battlefield.

The ending to ME1 was superb. 2 was good but nothing like as dramatic or "NOW I GOING SAFE GALAXY!!!!"

Well, I think it's totally guaranteed that the final game's going to be as dramatic as it can get :D

Oh and the Hammerhead in the DLC missions is supposed to be a different try on vehicle based exploration - I too hope that we'll get more of that in part 3.

I think a good comparison would be Private Ryan and Band of Bothers... With that TV series you get a lot more playtime, more depth, high production values - but it still doesn't feel as cinematic or epic as Spielberg's movie. So ME1 is like a movie trilogy from the '90s and ME2 is like a current TV show, in HD and all. Let's all hope ME3 is going to be the best of both :)

Wait is the interactive comic on the disc, or is it a free download for the PS3 users? I have a crappy internet connection that only works for my PC, so I hope that's on the disc itself.

No reason why it's not on disc. There should be enough space, and according to their reported stats, 30% of PS3 owners are not connected to the net. You are not alone. ^_^

Besides, they have already developed the content. Distributing on BR is a one-time cost. If they make it online, they have to pay for the on-going bandwidth cost.

I presume they're going the Cerberus Network route + one time download code as it'll be the "incentive" to buy the game new.

Hmm... that's a feasible route too if they are concerned with used game sales. There are plenty of DLCs to do it though. The confirmed rumor associates the Cerberus Network and the DLCs together. The interactive comic runs before the actual game, and forms the core experience. Would be sucky for them to deprive used game owners to choose their destiny. Even for new game owners like me, forcing me to download a comics to start the game is a hassle unless they automate the process. Let's see.

EDIT: Can you download the DLCs from the web and install it on PS3/360/PC like firmware updates ?

I recently bought this game from EA store during the Halloween sales (for 500INR, that's equivalent to ~10USD). Got to say I have a bad memory, I seem to have forgotten how awesome it felt when I played the game for the first time back in January on Xbox 360 (I'm getting the same vibe again). Regardless of all the streamlining its still an amazing game.

Yeah, I saw it in the store of $20 CAD today, brand new. Looks like it's one of those "Hits" titles, whatever they call those for the Xbox.

:cool: Opposite to what I expected:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/09/mass-effect-2-dlc-on-ps3-explained-interactive-comic-confirmed/

The 3 DLCs are on Blu-ray but the interactive comics is on Cerberus Network.

The bandwidth cost of 3 DLCs may be too high to stomach. :p

Mass Effect 2's PlayStation 3 iteration will come packed with "6+ hours of bonus missions" -- rather than being PS3-exclusive bonus content, however, it'll comprise the game's three big expansions: Kasumi: Stolen Memories, Overlord, and Lair of the Shadow Broker.

BioWare producer Jesse Houston also took to the company's forums to clear up what exactly will be on the Blu-ray disc (and what will be downloaded). "Of course Mass Effect 2 will be included. On top of that, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Project Overlord, Kasumi: Stolen Memory and the Blood Dragon Armour. Also included is, as on Xbox 360 and PC, an access code to the Cerberus Network. This will give you instant access to the same great lineup of Downloadable Content such as Zaeed and Firewalker."

Furthermore, he confirmed an "interactive comic" will ship with ME2 on PS3, cursorily detailing it by saying, "BioWare Edmonton (the group that made Mass Effect 2) teamed up with the fine folks at Dark Horse Comics to create an interactive backstory. While I can't release all the details about this yet, what I can tell you is that we want to create a stunning visual experience that not only tells the core story elements of Mass Effect 1, but also is fully interactive allowing you to be faced with some of the major choices which will have consequences your Mass Effect universe. This interactive comic's initial release will be exclusive to PS3 owners who would be otherwise unable to realize the full effect of choice in the Mass Effect universe and will be included on the Cerberus Network."

Though EA/BioWare have yet to give it a price, retailers are currently putting the DLC-packed release at a regular $60.

EDIT: I assumed…

Furthermore, he confirmed an "interactive comic" will ship with ME2 on PS3

...means the comics will be released with ME2 on PS3. If it gets bundled on the same Blu-ray disc, then all the better.

At first I was wondering how they'd handle Shepard's appearance in the comic, but then I remembered how the beginning of Mass Effect 2 plays out.

I wonder if they will make the interactive comics 3D. I saw a 3D comics demo on the Panasonic 3D demo disc. It's stunning !

IMHO, it's the second most impressive 3D demo after the Coral Reef one.

EDIT: Sorry, it's more like a pop-up comic + origami art book, :)

Not having the DLCs yet I feel a bit cheated... I'll have to put down what, $26-30 for the more interesting stuff that PS3 users get for free?

Not having the DLCs yet I feel a bit cheated... I'll have to put down what, $26-30 for the more interesting stuff that PS3 users get for free?

Hopefully they'll do something to adjust the pricing, like offer them as a pack for cheap or something. It's really only the Shadowbroker that's good.

Yeah but the Kasumi one has the good SMG, right? And she's another squad member to get, too...
Damn you, Bioware ;) Then again, they paid my salary for like three months, so...

The actual size of the levels combined is far, far bigger in ME2, they just split it up into smaller chunks.
Most of ME1 is spent driving around random generated landscapes and the same repetitive side quest levels. The main story mission has about 7 parts, whereas ME2 has a dozen loyalty missions, ten recruitment missions, and 5-6 story missions; and also all the side quests have individual maps as well. You don't drive around, sort loot, visit and re-visit ships to sell/buy... and still the second game takes longer to complete!

I clocked in about the same amount of time for both, but the time I spent disinterestedly scanning planets in ME2 was a lot less than the time I spent doing the Mako artefact/crashed satellite/data recording/etc searches in the first game. And yeah, the side missions were definitely better in ME2.

So overall a big improvement, but still, in a sick kind of way the hours and hours of Mako driving and repetitive side missions added to that feeling of being out there in a vast universe. So it's kind of that I like the idea of them, just not the actually reality of them. :)

The Citadel was a huge hub world to explore in the first game - it was epic but it was also intimidating and overwhelming on the first playthrough. It was easy to get lost, get scared about all the assignments added to the journal, especially with all the other features opening up, from shops to extra squad mates. It also became boring to browse through later in the game, with only a few points of interest (shop, NPC etc) in every section. And there were load hiccups ;)

Agree on all points! Even after I'd done everything in the Citadel that I could I kept coming back and running round the whole damn thing again in the vein hope that I'd stumble on some awesome hidden character or quest or adventure (but of course never did, so I just ended up slow jogging down a lot of long corridors and standing in lifts).

There's probably a better balance between this extreme and the sequel's solution of giving you several hub worlds that you can visit throughout the game - which are however smaller, and have some of their sections only opened for a single mission.
It's probably also about having a different focus in the sequel, the single main story thread is split into a dozen smaller ones. I'd guess you'll have less recruitment/loyalty missions in ME3 and instead a more focused story, which should bring back longer "levels".

I like the idea of having a place in the game where lots and lots of interesting things happen all the way through the game (again, kind of like a Babylon 5) even if that area was a little more condensed than the original Citadel. Having one such place, but then having a number of other places that you "burn out" doing a cluster of missions during a particular stage of the game would be good. A balance between that sense of completing an area and moving on (so no fear of missing something through not backtracking everywhere frequently enough) and a there being a part of the game world that is constantly "alive".

I agree about that, but at least they work better, you either don't have any good cover in ME1 or it blocks your sight of the rest of the battlefield.

Yeah, I've been playing ME1 through recently on the PC, and while the atmosphere is as good as I remembered the gameplay isn't. Just having a couple of points in ME3 where battles started unexpectedly in populated areas would be enough to add that sense of unpredictability, and on a small scale you could probably hide some suitable environments in amongst the none fighting areas.

Well, I think it's totally guaranteed that the final game's going to be as dramatic as it can get :D

I enjoyed building my team in ME2, and I'd rather have more character development for the existing team and lots more main story elements for the final chapter. I hope they are planning for ME2 and 3 to be more closely tied than 1 and 2. I also really, really hope the
Rachni queen comes back and
helps me save the galaxy!

ME2 is my most enjoyed game of 2010.

Back