[360, PS3] Mass Effect 2 *(Spoiler Warning)

Any impressions of The Shadow Broker DLC? I saw it on Live! yesterday and bought it. But it's 1.something gig, and it was already past my bedtime so I just let it background download. Now I'm at work and my boss doesn't consider this situation to be a family emergency so I'm stuck doing the work they pay me for :LOL:. I probably shouldn't have bought it without at least finding some reviews or at least impressions first, but ME has a direct line to my wallet. :p

I think the cutscenes may depend on what choice you take in ME1 ?

They do indeed. Well, some do. But without the ME1 save, ME2 simply assumes a certain path (and the associated choices) for you anyway (typically that of a jerk).

I liked it a lot. Paragon/Fem/Liara Relationship. Tonight I'll do the complete opposite. :p

Took me about 2.5Hrs on hardcore using vanguard.

More impressions in a bit. Gotta go.

Mass Effect PS3 enjoys 'visual changes':
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266845

Good sign or bad sign: you decide!
The title by itself actually imply a good sign since when something gets to ENJOY a change, it means nice things doesn't it? But after reading the article I'm more than inclined to believe it's for the worse. Blurry textures, unstable framerate and maybe a sub HD experience are totally been implied as we all know PS3's inadequate memory architecture and a less than stellar GPU.

ME2 has probably stretched the limits of the X360's memory to the max with all its high res textures, they knew their way around the system after ME1. Most of the visual improvements they were able to reach had been about making better use of the existing resources, which implies that there wasn't much room left for the additional detail. Like, most normal maps were 1/4th the size of the color maps, texture density was greatly varied within the same model's different parts, and other stuff like that. So it's to be expected that something's gotta give on the PS3, as it still has a little less system memory available (X360's OS consumes less and the frame buffer is in the EDRAM).

On the other hand, maybe it's possible to add something like MLAA on top of it...? ME2 sure has a lot of aliasing and it's probably not that CPU intensive, there may be some SPE time they can put to use. If they want to and are able to, that is...

What were some recent multiplatform UE3 releases? That may give us some clues about what exactly we can expect...
(oh and I'm just playing ME2 and it's a pretty damn good game, I've spent like 12 hours straight on my first session ;) )

Hopefully the ps3 version does not get parred back alot...if thats the case. I plan to get this was on the fence about getting the 360 version but I don't game on it much anymore.

We may want to create a separate thread for the PS3 release, as this one is pretty spoiler heavy if memory serves me. Not sure if everything has been properly spoiler tagged or not.

I hope no-one was holding their breath :)
I'm actually interested in hearing more!

Quite a solid add-on. I enjoyed the story more than anything else, but one of the final environments they introduce is quite nice. The pacing, IMO, works well enough, but looking back I remember a few spots where it felt like I was bogged down, briefly disrupting the overall flow.

The ending, however, is rather open and raises a lot of questions about how things will be handled with Liara in the future. It also seems to completely side-step any romantic entanglements for those that choose Liara in ME1, and someone else in ME2 ("Liara, she came onto me, I swear!"). That second issue may be addressed in the 3rd release (I doubt they'll bother with it in future DLC).

ME2 has probably stretched the limits of the X360's memory to the max with all its high res textures, they knew their way around the system after ME1. Most of the visual improvements they were able to reach had been about making better use of the existing resources, which implies that there wasn't much room left for the additional detail. Like, most normal maps were 1/4th the size of the color maps, texture density was greatly varied within the same model's different parts, and other stuff like that. So it's to be expected that something's gotta give on the PS3, as it still has a little less system memory available (X360's OS consumes less and the frame buffer is in the EDRAM).

On the other hand, maybe it's possible to add something like MLAA on top of it...? ME2 sure has a lot of aliasing and it's probably not that CPU intensive, there may be some SPE time they can put to use. If they want to and are able to, that is...

What were some recent multiplatform UE3 releases? That may give us some clues about what exactly we can expect...
(oh and I'm just playing ME2 and it's a pretty damn good game, I've spent like 12 hours straight on my first session ;) )

The last UE3 comparison was the Enslaved demo - with the typical edge for the Xbox360 version.

with respect to ME2: one of the best games I have ever played - all time classic IMO!

I hope no-one was holding their breath :)
I'm actually interested in hearing more!

Ack. Completely forgot. :( What Grad said. Very story-oriented. Nice music too. :) Some cool bonus things after completing it, plus you unlock a new biotic power.

The shooting parts were alright. Hate to spoil what sort of fights there are though. :p

I was hoping that the Shadow Broker would be revealed to be Conrad Verner. :(

That one environment looked amazing. It reminded me of one part in ME1, actually.
The look felt very similar to when you go EVA on the side of the Citadel at the end of the first game.

I dont think article hints to a downgrade regarding ME2 for PS3 unless it is a tradeoff situation (which on average might end up as an improvement). Could be implementation of MLAA while perhaps dialing back on something else or perhaps not. If it gets improvements it could be more like the PC version which is reference and got higher res post processing, higher precision/quality for several effects and more 'cinematic lights' per scene.

@Laa-Yosh

Textures look like they are higher-res than is IMHO, be it artwork and/or mapping/shading. Thats something that stood out to me despite knowing it got on average less texture resolution than ME1 on PC. Also a heck of a lot less shimmering than ME1, thats for sure. I also believe ME2 360/PC version shares same texture assets. Now maybe it's just me but the texture work and detail makes the game look BS worthy and very clean yet detailed.

Some "old" pics from PC version. Looks a bit more pixelated shimmering than is due to compression.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1461410&postcount=1545
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1461411&postcount=1546
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1461436&postcount=1550

Ack. Completely forgot. :( What Grad said. Very story-oriented. Nice music too. :) Some cool bonus things after completing it, plus you unlock a new biotic power.

The shooting parts were alright. Hate to spoil what sort of fights there are though. :p

I was hoping that the Shadow Broker would be revealed to be Conrad Verner. :(

That one environment looked amazing. It reminded me of one part in ME1, actually.
The look felt very similar to when you go EVA on the side of the Citadel at the end of the first game.

Hmmm, I think I somehow managed to miss the new Biotic power. Or perhaps I wasn't paying attention (then again, my Shepard's not a Biotic).

Liara spoiler/discussion:
This left me confused. There was absolutely no mention of or even hint at any other relationships Shepard has with other characters. It's almost as if they couldn't figure out how to handle continuity and didn't bother trying (Biowre Meeting: "Ahh, screw it, just let the player bang her, we'll sort the rest out later"). :LOL: That was a bit disappointing (and relieving at the same time).

Hmmm, I think I somehow managed to miss the new Biotic power. Or perhaps I wasn't paying attention (then again, my Shepard's not a Biotic).

You have to do the advanced training for your character (swap/replace your bonus ability). :)

Liara spoiler/discussion:
This left me confused. There was absolutely no mention of or even hint at any other relationships Shepard has with other characters. It's almost as if they couldn't figure out how to handle continuity and didn't bother trying (Biowre Meeting: "Ahh, screw it, just let the player bang her, we'll sort the rest out later"). :LOL: That was a bit disappointing (and relieving at the same time).
I'm not sure what you mean, I got dialogue from Liara that mentioned
the person I was romancing in ME2 when I had previously done her in the first game. The conversation topic had to do with Shepard's motivations (when you're back on-board the SR-2).

The Shadow Broker does say something different depending on who's in your squad near the end, but nothing significant - just a quip. If you mean actual squad relevance, then I suppose it's no different than other Loyalty missions.

I'm not sure what you mean, I got dialogue from Liara that mentioned
the person I was romancing in ME2 when I had previously done her in the first game. The conversation topic had to do with Shepard's motivations (when you're back on-board the SR-2).

Interesting, I got no such dialog.
I romanced Liara in ME1, and then Tali in ME2. Liara didn't say a peep about it. She didn't even mention that her picture was face down on the desk when she was in my room!.

Interesting, I got no such dialog.
I romanced Liara in ME1, and then Tali in ME2. Liara didn't say a peep about it. She didn't even mention that her picture was face down on the desk when she was in my room!.

hm... It must be specific to a particular conversation tree. :( I can see how it can be missed depending on how the conversation begins
at the time you invite her up to the cabin.
I don't suppose you have a save point there.

hm... It must be specific to a particular conversation tree. :( I can see how it can be missed depending on how the conversation begins
at the time you invite her up to the cabin.
I don't suppose you have a save point there.

I do actually have a save point there, as well as several other places. In fact,
I redid the Shadow Broker fight about 3 or 4 times in order to explore all the dialog options with Liara after the fight. I also noticed the items you get from the pay-off pick up console seems to vary. I think I'll load one of those saved games again. Heck, I may do the whole mission over as I noticed some of the Paragon dialog events were not actually triggered despite me hitting the left trigger. I noticed that during my retries of the Broker fight. Although, I suppose the timing may have changed, throwing me off.

Back