[360, PS3] Mass Effect 2 *(Spoiler Warning)

Heh a spoiler quote. :p

It's because the tech relies on taking massive (millions or billions) of lives in order to work. I think that would be considered evil/renegade not to destroy it and prevent future generations/corporations/governments from putting it into use. Even if you want to keep it to just study in order to defeat it, it's likely someone will steal the tech and try to use it.

In fact, Cerberus wants to find a way to use it. In the storyline, as its presented, that would mean using other races. Ceberus being Humans first and Aliens are to be sacrificed in order for humans to survive if needed. And that would be a VERY Renegade/Evil thing.

Regards,
SB

I didn't really see the "using" as in using other races to operate the machine, but using the data and technology to fight the reapers.

I got to use it on Grunt's loyalty quest, to kill the Thresher Maw. Was actually pretty satisfying. I didn't expect it to actually do that much damage.

For two people that disagree alot we have pretty similar gaming tastes and moments :LOL: I did the exact same thing after a brief moment of "WTFisthisBS?" thinking nothing happened and then...something happened, lol.

It bugged me that he didn't really have any dialogue tree. I thought he would be more like the Stone Prisoner DLC in terms of content for Dragon Age. :(

The ME2 DLC in general is terrible compared to Dragon Age's. The
Normandy crash site
may have been one of the worst things I've ever downloaded, even if it was free.

100% agree

As much as I love Dragon Age Origins, stuff like Warden's Keep and especially Return to Ostagar were gigantic rip-offs. The first one basically makes you pay for a bottomless chest that should have really been in the full game, the latter amounts to little more than an added armor set.

I'm okay with The Normandy Crash Site or the underdeveloped merc character. At least they both came free of charge.

A bit late to the party but...

I have to admit, much I liked ME2, I'm a bit shocked as to how short the suicide mission is once you go through the Omega 4 relay. I think they got the balance wrong between collecting squad members and actual plot missions. I mean, most of the squad get completely ignored in the actual mission itself, what was the point of collecting so many of them?

Despite it's technical flaws ME was a better game in my opinion.

As much as I love Dragon Age Origins, stuff like Warden's Keep and especially Return to Ostagar were gigantic rip-offs. The first one basically makes you pay for a bottomless chest that should have really been in the full game, the latter amounts to little more than an added armor set.

Can't speak for Return to Ostagar, but I got Warden's Keep as part of the hyper deluxe mega special version of DA:O. And it was a full dungeon with some pretty challenging encounters, a couple of new, useful powers, some cool loot (and the best weapon-smith in the game, plus access to the Starfang).

I definitely hope EA hasn't copy protected the saves on the PS3. If so I may have to pass on this game having already been burnt by both NFS Shift and Dragon Age: Origins.

Cheers

Guys, clarify first:
The PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 has just been announced.

How's the balance gameplay vs drama on this? I keep giving Bioware the benefit of the doubt, even though they let me down time and again with their combat systems/skill trees/other assorted mechanics choices. Seems to me they spend most of their resources on the character dialogue and story stuff, which just doesn't do much for me either way.

Doesn't help that they seem to have a way with the press. They always get great scores, no matter what. NWN -- the game in the box, not necessarily the later expansions, not necessarily the "potential" -- was terrible, but the only way to find out was to actually buy it. Not feeling Dragon Age Originis either, played like 15 hours and lost all interest.

So basically I'm asking: is the combat/skill progression fun? Can the mechanics alone carry the game?

So basically I'm asking: is the combat/skill progression fun? Can the mechanics alone carry the game?

I love the games (the first and second, can't wait for the third). But I would feel pretty confident answering your question with a solid no. If their other games didn't do it for you, including Dragon Age, then it's a safe bet ME won't either.

Combat is pretty fun. Much more streamlined and they really do want the player to use those biotic powers on the higher difficulties. Some classes are more powerful than others in that regard though...

Skill progression is rather simple compared to the original game. Instead of assigning a ton of individual skill points to a stat (very gradual progression), you're using much fewer skill points for powers/abilities with bigger jumps in between each degree of power. E.g. Level 1 costs 1 point... level 4 costs 4. Max is 4, which also happens to give you a choice between a more personalized advantage or a squad-oriented stat. So this may not be what you're looking for.

The game mostly emphasizes the squad member missions. I thought they were well done. The side missions are also very well varied compared to the first game. The exploration aspect has pretty much been nullified (landing on planets and roaming around). The Hammerhead vehicle (added post 360 release) has a few missions. I assume they'll be including all the DLC for PS3 users.

Some people like the planet mining (Probe Launched!... cha ching ... ) some people don't (slow and repetitive). *shrug* I've tried playing the game only mining planets in the star system that I have to visit for some mission or other, and it's not too bad. Better if you find all the side missions (some you might want to use a guide or you spend time exploring star systems).

Oh Dr. Evil, I shall try to complete this game.

I'd like to insist that you'd find a way to finish the part 1 first :), but seriously I hope EA makes some effort to transfer the experience from the first game to the new players, because the story takes a back seat in the sequel, and I feel that the experience will be somewhat limited without the first game's events in the back of the players head while playing the sequel.

Then again MGS 4 was my first Metal Gear game and I absolutely loved it and although I know that I must have lost a lot of small things and references from the past, there was still far more than enough of a great game there to enjoy on its own, and if you like scifi action RPG, then Mass Effect 2 should please you!

I have 2-3 Xbox 360 friends. I remember they said ME2 has better combat than ME1, but I am not sure (may be it's another game). May check out YouTube and spoiler sites to get a quick guide on what has transpired in ME1. Did it for MGS 2-3 too.

I enjoyed this game but encountered a few bugs and moments where the game 'stuck' (i.e. it wouldn't let me continue the story line) for no obvious reason - I had to find out off the web how to progress the story - very frustrating - still good tho and will be picking up ME3.

Then again MGS 4 was my first Metal Gear game and I absolutely loved it and although I know that I must have lost a lot of small things and references from the past, there was still far more than enough of a great game there to enjoy on its own, and if you like scifi action RPG, then Mass Effect 2 should please you!

Having played the previous MGS's, I would say you've missed a lot. Like a better understanding of the motivations of some it's characters. Which is probably the problem that comes with this ME2 port.

Does RPG's usual little problem effect ME2? Where you'll spend more time going through menu's, selecting skills, comparing very equipment item you pick up to everything else to see if it's not slightly better, which hundreds of items to sell or hold on to, ect, then you'll spend in actual combat. Is this an RPG, or one those those inventory management simulators?

Back