[360, PS3] Mass Effect 2 *(Spoiler Warning)

Just finished my first play thru with my Mass Effect 1 character. Very good game, improved all (almost) that was not so good with the first on.. Managed to save the entire crew. Just wished it was a bit longer. Can't wait for ME3 too come.

Maybe I will replay ME1, and play as a renegade, then replay ME2 with that character, just to se how different the story is..

All in all a strong 9 from me :smile:

I think the conversations in Dragon Age are in a totally different league. First of all: there's like 10 times as many as in ME2, and what's more important: they actually matter. You can act like the galaxy's biggest asshole in front of your entire crew in ME2 and it doesn't matter one single bit as long as you do the loyalty missions later.

26 hours in.
One of the best games I have ever played.
I have now all characters (with their special ability) available and will concentrate on the main story line.
Question to the pro's: I am playing as a soldier and have (it seems so) unlocked all the abilities available at my character screen and I did some research to learn the special ability (I choose "Barrier") from one of my party members. But when I am during combat and opening the ability wheel (by pressing LB) to choose from my abilities, there is still a place for one Icon!? Does this mean that I can somehow unlock another ability?If yes, how?!
Please enlight me - thanks!

EDIT:

Finished the game: about 29h playtime. Did a lot of the side missions and nearly all the research.
Game was just great - looking forward to ME3!!

Regarding the game, I don't have any complains...if you force me to, I would say that the mining is a little bit time consuming and could be more gamer friendly, but was sure a nice break.
Another thing: there were only few different weapons for each class (for instance: I only have 2 snipers for choice: good thing, the 2nd rifle "viper" is a blast and the best weapon available).

Regarding the tech: framerate is dramatically improved (from my point of view: optimal no complains), which was the mature issue of ME1.
They also solved the streaming/pop in issues (which did not really bother me in ME1):

I have the feeling that the solved the streaming issue/texture pop in by decreasing the texture resolution and thus the burden on their streaming system...which was a little bit surprising for me: in my opinion all the textures weren't rather high res and nothing special. Even the textures of the character faces/amory had some deficiencies and the environment textures in case were brutally low res (and this factoring in the 3rd person view..which is per se texture friendly. But the sniper rifle reveals the truth). I can't remember ME1 textures, but I have in memory that they were rather high res.

Another thing I clearly noticed (and I don't want to start a fanboy shitstorm, just my honest impressions): ME2 clearly shows some of the drawbacks of the old box:

-this is not related to the game, but to the Xbox itself: my Elite constantly freezes...seems to have some serious problems - thanks MS for the shit product! So I have to switch to my ol' brave day one launch Xbox.
-I HAD to install the game: I play a lot in the night and the sound of the DVD drive is to loud...but to do this I first had to clean up the memory of my 40 Gig (or something) launch box drive (because I don't want to change them and ME1 save game was there as well).
-There are really a lot of loading screens in this game...the only last for a couple of seconds, but after 8hours straight gaming - it gets annoying.
- DVD switching clearly shows the lack of disk space

Nevertheless, one of the best games the Xbox has to offer!!!

EDIT2: I did go back, because the last thing I want to do: find 15k Platin to get the special particle rifle for Legion. By the way, I really like the research system in this game - great idea. I hope that for ME 3 they improve the mining aspect by introducing some more informations when scanning a planet: maybe they could include a statistic, which indicates how much of which material is still left on the planet. So when I am searching for Platin, I can instantly see how much Platin this planet offers. Another thing: I have far over 100k Palladium, and Iriduum...but it seems to me that the only thing you really need is Platin. I hope that in ME3 they re-balance the resources.

Now I am looking forward to DLC...keep it coming!

I am a little bit said. During the end fight, two of my characters died: for one mission, I choose Thane (which is one of my favorite characters) as the mission leader - at the end of the mission, defending the door, he died!! A real shock for me. At the last battle, Miranda died which is ok because she is a real bitch!!
Question: did you guys also loose characters? Which characters died in your mission?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
26 hours in.
One of the best games I have ever played.
I have now all characters (with their spe

I'm right about the same place as you (28hours) and agree. I almost stopped playing but as I researched more and built up my combat skills, I realized that I am just now getting good at combat and it is a blast... also the story is captivating. I at first thought that I in no way would have the patience to sit through another play through (I'm not a single player story gamer) but I may have to since I am just now understanding how to fight. :p

and have the same question... it says the more loyal team members, the more spots open up but I lost my loyalty to Morinda and skipped getting it from Zaeed. so I too have one Extra ability spot remaining.

I only bothered to finish the game once, and only had one spot for a Loyalty skill. Maybe another opens if you do a second playthrough? No idea.

I started a second playthrough but when I found out level cap was 30, I couldn't be arsed to be bothered. I was only going to do a second playthrought to max level in case I decided to give ME3 a chance to redeam the blunder (IMO :)) that is ME2. And with an imported character, it's easy to hit the level cap on your first playthrough.

Regards,
SB

My only real complaint would have been to have a few more main plot missions interspersed between the team missions.

Agreed. It seemed like the relationship between you and alliance and your relationship with the council seemed a little underdeveloped.

I am the most famous hero alive in the known universe, who has come back from the dead and I've been reinstated as a Spectre and yet my involvement with Cereberus doesn't cause much of a bruha with council or Anderson for that matter. Furthermore, the council doesn't even buy my report and downplays the Reapers. You think it would be a little more involved than that and not "do whatever just stay in the Terminus System".

I think Tali's loyalty mission premise would have made better sense with Shepard and the council. You possibly being tried for treason with the plot revolving around you finding proof of the Collectors and thus the Reaper's involvement. With the added caveat, that some on the council support you while others believe you as well as Cerebus are responsible for colonies disappearing.

finished it in 32 hours (Great game!) and decided that the (HEADS UP!) 50% trade in boost at GS was too good to pass up to play it again.. (got $56 with my edge card) so I'll buy it again used in 6-8 months at a discount when I'm bored. :cool:

Agreed. It seemed like the relationship between you and alliance and your relationship with the council seemed a little underdeveloped.

I am the most famous hero alive in the known universe, who has come back from the dead and I've been reinstated as a Spectre and yet my involvement with Cereberus doesn't cause much of a bruha with council or Anderson for that matter. Furthermore, the council doesn't even buy my report and downplays the Reapers. You think it would be a little more involved than that and not "do whatever just stay in the Terminus System".

I think Tali's loyalty mission premise would have made better sense with Shepard and the council. You possibly being tried for treason with the plot revolving around you finding proof of the Collectors and thus the Reaper's involvement. With the added caveat, that some on the council support you while others believe you as well as Cerebus are responsible for colonies disappearing.

Yah but that would have actually required some thought on the part of whoever made the plot. Rather than the snoozefest that ME2's plot is. Might have also meant they'd actually have to have put as much thought into dialog and plot and consequences as they did with ME1. :p

And that just wouldn't fit with the move to being more FPS and less of everything else.

Regards,
SB

Yah but that would have actually required some thought on the part of whoever made the plot. Rather than the snoozefest that ME2's plot is. Might have also meant they'd actually have to have put as much thought into dialog and plot and consequences as they did with ME1. :p

And that just wouldn't fit with the move to being more FPS and less of everything else.

Regards,
SB

being act 2 of a 3 part act sets us up nicely with all of the characters fleshed fairly well and in place for what should be a more substantial story for ME3. the game would have had to come on 4 discs to take it where I wanted it to go next but i like what they did with 2.

finished the game in 40 hours.
Best moment:

At some point I got the M-920 cain canon so i went on a mission to try the beast, aiming at an enemy, pressing fire, nothing apart from smoke and a pshhht, was thinking "what's this sh*t ??" then did not used it again, until the fight with that big monster during the grunt loyal mission, aimed at the monster, charge, then fire and a DAMN BIG eplosion all other the screen, the monster died immediatly, it was amazing :LOL:

First time I used the Cain heavy weapon, it was on a secondary mission, the one where you have to destroy an alien artifact at the end of a cave.
I see plenty of husks, charge the bad boy, then *BOOOM*, OMG, the whole cave collapse and I get a small cut scene where my team flee from the cave.
I reload immediately because it's too good to be true, and yes, the cave also collapse when not using the weapon. I was a tiny bit disappointed you couldn't shortcut some missions with nuclear fire :D
Still, it's very satisfying when you get to hit something with it, considering how long it is to charge.
It was a very short fight against the eye bots at the end of the game !

I'm really curious to know [ending spoiler]
how the choice to save or destroy the Reaper station will play out in ME3. I was rather surprised to see that pretty much all of the crew supported the decision to destroy it (not sure how they react if you don't destroy it, though)

For that matter, I'm wondering what they're going to do for the players whose Shepard dies (due to gross negligence and poor decisions on the suicide mission). Last I read, you couldn't import your game if that happens, so, I'm guessing they'll handle it like someone who hasn't played 1 or 2. There are a few other key decisions that I'm guessing will have a large impact. Namely, the Rachni (from ME1, with a brief appearance in 2) and the partial Krogran genophase cure.

It should also be interesting to see how they handle the love interest from ME1 in 3. Knowing Bioware, they'll punish you for stepping out in ME2, if you did. On a side note, Tali would have been my choice in ME1 if that had been an option.

For that matter, I'm wondering what they're going to do for the players whose Shepard dies (due to gross negligence and poor decisions on the suicide mission). Last I read, you couldn't import your game if that happens, so, I'm guessing they'll handle it like someone who hasn't played 1 or 2.

Yup.

I got to use it on Grunt's loyalty quest, to kill the Thresher Maw. Was actually pretty satisfying. I didn't expect it to actually do that much damage.

You need a full charge in order to use it (100% or 200%). :p For one mission I was just trying to see what it did as the weapon description made it sound like a rail gun. I "accidentally"
two YMIR mechs near the end of Garrus' loyalty mission
when I finally did get it at full charge though. XD :oops:

I completed Mass Effect 2 last weekend. Quite a different game than the first one that's for sure. I think all the "mechanical" things like framerate, combat mechanics, mineral harvesting, currency model etc. were either better or much better in the sequel. In the end the ammo clips didn't bother me that much either. The combat mechanics have improved greatly, although I almost strangled my friend, when he said that the combat works better than in Gears of War... It's not there yet. I don't mind though.

The sequel had much more meaningful missions, when you add all the recruiting and loyalty missions together raising the quality of an average mission by quite a lot. The story in itself was much more interesting in Mass Effect 1, and imo the sequel didn't have as epic and memorable gaming moments as in the first one.

In general I think they streamlined the game a bit too much and the gameworld didn't react to the players actions as much as I'd expect from a bioware game.
After finishing the game, council man Anderson was talking the same crap as before and the same thing somehow shadoved the whole game, maybe few too many crew members and too little time to focus on other things.

I was mostly paragon, although the Paragon in ME2 seemed often quite close to the renegade in ME1... Also I don't understand why keeping the reaper manufacturing factory intact for research is considered renegade in a situation where all life in the universe is at stake...Pretty much everyone was bitching about it. Everyone survided the final mission in my playthrough and I think i had everyone on my team as well.

I hope that the third game will focus more on the main story, but I still liked this. I won't be completing this four times like I did with ME1 though. 9.0/10

Also I don't understand why keeping the reaper manufacturing factory intact for research is considered renegade in a situation where all life in the universe is at stake...Pretty much everyone was bitching about it. Everyone survided the final mission in my playthrough and I think i had everyone on my team as well.

Heh a spoiler quote. :p

It's because the tech relies on taking massive (millions or billions) of lives in order to work. I think that would be considered evil/renegade not to destroy it and prevent future generations/corporations/governments from putting it into use. Even if you want to keep it to just study in order to defeat it, it's likely someone will steal the tech and try to use it.

In fact, Cerberus wants to find a way to use it. In the storyline, as its presented, that would mean using other races. Ceberus being Humans first and Aliens are to be sacrificed in order for humans to survive if needed. And that would be a VERY Renegade/Evil thing.

Regards,
SB

Back