[360, PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV

Synergy34 said:
Bid? Since when does a company have to bid to get a game released at the same time as the other console on the market? If MS had to pay money to get a game they already would have had, then they lose in my eyes.

That may very well have been the only option that Rockstar was prepared to do, and it was well worth the money IMO.

If Sony payed Bungie XX amount of dollars to release Halo 3 on PS3 simultaneously, would you not consider that a win?

According to NPD, GT4 was the 3rd best selling console game of NA in 2005, so the franchise still has some balls.

link

Edit: ...okay forget it... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
(Tattoo = lame)

Why is that I get the impression that stuffed suits at MS try to be overly cool for the crowd, like J Allard's fab-five makeover. Something seems out of place at the MS press events.

GT4 sold 8,4 million units last time I checked , it may fall short by 5,6 million compared to GT3 , but it's still is the second most sold GT title in the series .

Forgive me i'm mistaken my friend says that GT4 sold 8,6 million units worldwide , and i'm also wrong about Gt4 being the second most sold GT title apparently it's the least sold

I think with the debacle that was Hot Coffee with the San Andres title, the GTA series carries a lot of political baggage that Sony would gladly share with other consoles. The series still carries a stigma that would be difficult to remove.

It's a boon for MS, but not something that's considered a deal breaker.

i could not care less about GTA but i noticed this just a second ago while passing by gamespot

[UPDATE] Microsoft confirms next Grand Theft Auto is coming to Xbox 360 in October 2007; Rockstar Games confirms simultaneous launch on PS3.

Always the same..

Its new exclusive titles thats going to sell systems IMO and is the most important in the future. As i dont follow the GTA scen cause i think it *sucks* there are likely to be big sellers for both systems in the same genre. I think LA Noir for PS3 is one and theres another for 360.

The game will sell on its name but aswell as Halo3/MGS4 i dont self have any hype around these games.

Could very well be that the age is starting to make some difference from when you where 18-19 and/or that you see trough PR better.

It could very well be as simple as read less on the forums cause you always get the same bias with attack/defense mode ON/OFF and various meaningless ranting.

Thats probably the most tiresome factor and lower threads "rating" to abnormal substandards. A real pity it is.

we (I) may not buy GTA, but rest assured every 13-18yo boy in the land will own a copy on somebody's system. ;)

Add Halo3 to the mix and it's one helluva a hook for 360
add MGS4 to the mix and same choice for the PS3.

Oct/Nov 2007 sales data will be a very interesting read. :p

Seriously, who's still excited about GTA nowdays? GTA3 was something big since it was the first of its kind back in 2001 with its scope and gameplay innovations. It was also a premier of the series to make a successfull transition from 2d to 3d and still keep the things that made it the fun game it was in previous parts. If they want to have the same effect with GTA4, they better make sure they can enhance it further and not just slap on another city with 100 of the same old missions we've already played.

While I think Microsoft did something great in getting a simultaneous launch on their console, I hardly find it huge and exciting news (well, perhaps it is for Xbox owners ;) ). On the other hand, I think it's clear that this was the best Microsoft could get out of Rockstar... Anyway, the way both console makers have handled the situation with GTA shows IMO quite nicely who thinks it's more important and was more desperate to get the series on their system...

Phil said:
... Anyway, the way both console makers have handled the situation with GTA shows IMO quite nicely who thinks it's more important and was more desperate to get the series on their system...

yes I would consider it a coup for MS. I totally expected Sony to hold exclusivity for another year and last night seriously considered that they had full exclusivity.

MS has made very few mis-steps so far. When you are holding a 75% disadvantage in marketshare in last gen, you need to be aggressive.

After reading Xbox uncloaked http://www.spiderworks.com/books/xbox360.php

the difference in early software support form Xbox 1 to 360 is unbelievable. Like it or not, MS has become a real player this gen.

Phil said:
Seriously, who's still excited about GTA nowdays? GTA3 was something big since it was the first of its kind back in 2001 with its scope and gameplay innovations. It was also a premier of the series to make a successfull transition from 2d to 3d and still keep the things that made it the fun game it was in previous parts. If they want to have the same effect with GTA4, they better make sure they can enhance it further and not just slap on another city with 100 of the same old missions we've already played....

Lots of people are waiting to see what a GTA 4 will look and play like. I'm wondering how this will hurt the development of the PS3 process. Last year or earlier this year R* was talking about using Blu-ray to stream content while playing. Will they still do this?

Will they use the HDD on the PS3?

mckmas8808 said:
Lots of people are waiting to see what a GTA 4 will look and play like. I'm wondering how this will hurt the development of the PS3 process. Last year or earlier this year R* was talking about using Blu-ray to stream content while playing. Will they still do this?

Will they use the HDD on the PS3?
I'm sure they will use the HDD to cache on both systems (360 just won't use it if HDD is not present) that's how it works on 360 games anyway.

Also is Blu ray streaming at 2x much faster than 12 x DVD (360)?

I'm still hyped for a new GTA game.
If it were for current gen consoles (PS2, xbox) I wouldn't care that much, as honestly three games more or less the same, although very good, is starting to get a bit boring.

But with next gen and next gen visuals, the series will get a nice rejuvenation, and even if the gameplay remained much the same it'd feel fresh enough if the graphics are amazing enough.

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how it'll look, more than what new gameplay elements it will have.

Will the xbox360 version require the HDD? With PS3 it might have the advantage of a standard HDD and Blu-ray. Is it because of the lack of standard HDD there is "exclusive downloadable content" for xbox360, like radio stations and music tracks, or will it be just targeted in-game advertisements (graphical and audio) ?

london-boy said:
No it's slower if i remember correctly...

Yup.

12xdvdvsbdrs0cg.png

It will be interesting to see how that works out.

The new content deal is a smart move by the way.

If that chart is correct, then at worst (at best?) they should be about equal as the xbox360 GTA4 DVD might use pretty much all of the one layer of the DVD, if not be dual-layer.
The DVD will have the potential to stream faster, but how will it work in game if it streams faster at parts and slower at parts (is a question)?

Back