New Oblivion PS3 Screens + Info

Thats a pretty accurate breakdown of the two versions, maybe a little rough in its presentation but thats the difference id note for each version aswel.
I think texture quality is the same for both versions. Lighting is different. It doesn't look like the HDR for either PC or 360, but isn’t quite as bland as with HDR off (bloom).

If we're judging these screens posted here; PS3 gets worse LOD and object distance. The missing roads and rocks in the snowy pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now show me a screen with a person standing in it.

Granted the scenery in Oblivion is nice, but the lighting, the buildings, the chracter models, all fairly ugly and old looking.

Character models I agree are pretty ugly (although the player one looks ok from the back :D ). But I still think the lighting and building models are right up there. The PC version features self shadowing which the 360 lacks and that adds a lot to the lighting. It also has shadows on foliage which im not sure the 360 version featured. That coupled with HDR and real time dynamic shadowing (when using torches) makes for some damn nice lighting IMO.

The stock buildings are probably a bit rubbish (its been a while since I have seen them) but with the very high quality parallax maps that Qarls TP3 adds I think a lot of the buildings are actually quite stunning. Brick detail adds a lot in my book ;)

I'll try to take some architecture pics tonight to demonstrate what I mean.

I have to say I don't get the whole "2004 PC" look thing. I strongly believe that when modded Oblivion is easily one of the best looking games out there across all systems and I think screens like these back that up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_PC.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_2_PC.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_3_PC.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_4_PC.jpg

Its not a case of just looking like that in stills. While particulary good shots they generally represent the level of outdoor graphics in the game and I personally can't think of another game on any system which demonstrates better graphics including the console graphics flagship, Gears of War which im now playing for the second time over.

I mean, if Oblivon is "2004 PC graphics" then would someone like to show me shots of a PC game at least 2.5 years graphically superior thats available to buy today? Because if you can then I wan't to buy it ;)

again i think those lod textures look rly bad, as they dont mesh at all with everything else, and the normal maps just look like black areas instead of conveying depth and shadows. the game is just bleh compared to whats out there today, it just doesnt look next gen, it looks 100% like a past gen pc game(aka substandard modeling, lighting and shadows just in high res with aa and af. sure it compares well to pc games, but there arent any next gen games on the pc, pc gaming has yet to advance beyond 2004 level graphics. i mean when u have games on the source engine and bf2 engine actually competing for graphics of the year award on the pcs, its a sad day. gow looks so much better, as do a TON of other games imo. pgr3, kameo, gt hd, fall of man, crackdown, and i could go on and on.

again i think those lod textures look rly bad, as they dont mesh at all with everything else, and the normal maps just look like black areas instead of conveying depth and shadows. the game is just bleh compared to whats out there today, it just doesnt look next gen, it looks 100% like a past gen pc game(aka substandard modeling, lighting and shadows just in high res with aa and af. sure it compares well to pc games, but there arent any next gen games on the pc, pc gaming has yet to advance beyond 2004 level graphics. i mean when u have games on the source engine and bf2 engine actually competing for graphics of the year award on the pcs, its a sad day. gow looks so much better, as do a TON of other games imo. pgr3, kameo, gt hd, fall of man, crackdown, and i could go on and on.

Im sorry but thats just complete rubbish. I have a 360 along with PGR3, Kameo and GeoW and its perfectly obvious to me that the modded version of Oblivon easily stands up next to them. Not only that but the screenshots I provided show that very clearly as far as im concerned.

Last gen and current gen are console concepts, not PC. There are dozens of games which would fall into a "next gen" catagory by console standards on the PC as opposed to "last gen" going all the way back to Farcry.

However games like FEAR:EP, HL2:E1, Company of Heroes, TR:Legends, R6:Vegas etc... are clearly right up there on a level with "next gen" consoles games.

Anyway... back to the topic....

They pulled self shadowing on objects from both the 360 version and the PC version as they had to completely re write the shadowing part of the engine cause self shadowing on objects brought the game to a crawl. Self shadowing is still on for charactors most creatures and tree's foliage. Did they mod it back in after the fact? Also the 360 version most certainly does full HDR and 2X AA

I didn't see much shadowing that I recall on my mate's 7800. Specifically I was looking for environmental shadows cast by a torch in a cave, and there just wasn't any. If there was self-shadowing on characters, I never noticed it.

Im sorry but thats just complete rubbish. I have a 360 along with PGR3, Kameo and GeoW and its perfectly obvious to me that the modded version of Oblivon easily stands up next to them. Not only that but the screenshots I provided show that very clearly as far as im concerned..

How many casual PC gamers have there Oblivion Modded to the max? and then how many of those same ppl do you think have the hardware to run it at high quality settings?

Point is you can get old games like Quake 3 to look next gen if someone took the time to make texture packs for them, were comparing the BOG STANDARD Oblivion with the BOG STANDARD textures it comes with originally. And when you look at the game like that its graphics are not up to the level of Gears or Kameo..

Now can we please discuss about the PS3 version and leave the PC out of this? Afteral were in the CONSOLE games section.

Well, in that case, yes the 360 version looks awful. But, considering it has to make due with 512 MB RAM for absolutely everything, I think it looks fine. Seriously.

It is not a corridor crawler. Its a massive world with basically no load zones at all, all done on the fly. They don't have the strict control over what the player sees like in a rail shooter. 1000s of NPCs go about schedules everywhere. Dynamic weather effects that change very convincingly before your eyes. The most convincing trees/forest I think I've ever seen. The only serious weakness of the 360 and PC release is the LOD texturing. And the water shader kinda sucks (it could've at least used some more variety).

I think you guys give the devs way too much flak. I don't think most of you are seeing the scope of this game. Its only peers are Gothic 3 and Morrowind, IMO. The 2004 claims are just stupid.

One thing that amazes me is how Morrowind and Oblivion run at about the same framerate on the same hardware. Considering how much has been improved, I think that is truly astounding.

How many casual PC gamers have there Oblivion Modded to the max? and then how many of those same ppl do you think have the hardware to run it at high quality settings?

Point is you can get old games like Quake 3 to look next gen if someone took the time to make texture packs for them, were comparing the BOG STANDARD Oblivion with the BOG STANDARD textures it comes with originally. And when you look at the game like that its graphics are not up to the level of Gears or Kameo..

Now can we please discuss about the PS3 version and leave the PC out of this? Afteral were in the CONSOLE games section.

Im sure very few people have the game heavily modded with the hardware to run it well but thats not really relevant to me. And I was responding specifically to the post were it was mentioned that the texture packs don't make much difference. I agree that with the standard graphics Oblivion isn't amazing (but can still be nice). But what people need to understand is that when modded its graphically a completely different game. Were talking the kind of differences you would expect to see between an xbox game and its xbox 360 first gen equivilent.

Anyway, in an attempt to get back on topic, I have to say that the PS3 distance textures are a big improvment over the 360 version, in fact they are very similar to the high res distance textures (without normal map enhancements) of the PC mods.

On the other hand it does seem the 360 has an advantage in draw distance when it comes to objects. I certainly think there is a question over whether the PS3 is using HDR aswell or perhaps just bloom. Certainly these things should be more than enough to make up for the improved framrate.

It is not a corridor crawler. Its a massive world with basically no load zones at all, all done on the fly. They don't have the strict control over what the player sees like in a rail shooter. 1000s of NPCs go about schedules everywhere. Dynamic weather effects that change very convincingly before your eyes. The most convincing trees/forest I think I've ever seen. The only serious weakness of the 360 and PC release is the LOD texturing. And the water shader kinda sucks (it could've at least used some more variety).

I think you guys give the devs way too much flak. I don't think most of you are seeing the scope of this game. Its only peers are Gothic 3 and Morrowind, IMO. The 2004 claims are just stupid.

One thing that amazes me is how Morrowind and Oblivion run at about the same framerate on the same hardware. Considering how much has been improved, I think that is truly astounding.

What we all need is to play around in wireframe mode to really get a decent idea of what's going on. :)

i still disagree, even with all the mods oblivion has that 'meh' look to it. i would post screens to explain what i mean, but i dont wanna get banned for posting a non oblivion screen in an oblivion thread.

i still disagree, even with all the mods oblivion has that 'meh' look to it. i would post screens to explain what i mean, but i dont wanna get banned for posting a non oblivion screen in an oblivion thread.

This isn't GAF, we like to compare screens, just stay away form the console VS arguments and I think you're ok.

Oblivion with a few visual tweaks (nothing major, just LOD texture replacement, etc)... 8800GTS 320MB, 4xAA, 8xAF, in-game settings for graphics maxed (framerates you see are fairly high in this instance... it can drop quite a bit (down in the 20's) in more convoluted and NPC-heavy areas):

well when i say oblivion has that typical last gen look, i mean its similar to games like dark messiah, half life 2, fear etc that have basically only added higher res textures upon what we had with games like doom 3 and far cry. they dont look more real or lifelike beyond the art direction.

when u look at the following they are a clear step forward in terms of visual fidelity.

image_frame.html

kameo-elements-of-power-20050517092429146.jpg

926971_20060308_screen018.jpg

928234_20060927_screen001.jpg

927245_20051118_screen012.jpg

i dont think its possible not to see the clear leap in visual fidelity over oblivion.

Oblivion with a few visual tweaks (nothing major, just LOD texture replacement, etc)... 8800GTS 320MB, 4xAA, 8xAF, in-game settings for graphics maxed (framerates you see are fairly high in this instance... it can drop quite a bit (down in the 20's) in more convoluted and NPC-heavy areas):

these lod textures look leaps and bounds better than quarls btw

well when i say oblivion has that typical last gen look, i mean its similar to games like dark messiah, half life 2, fear etc that have basically only added higher res textures upon what we had with games like doom 3 and far cry. they dont look more real or lifelike beyond the art direction.

when u look at the following they are a clear step forward in terms of visual fidelity.

i dont think its possible not to see the clear leap in visual fidelity over oblivion.

I guess we won't be getting back on topic any time soon then ;)

Those shots you posted consist of 2 devshots, one racing game (which God only knows how it can be compared to a free roaming RPG) and GRAW, which IMO doesn't even look close to Oblvion, in fact I have always found GRAW to be massively overated in the graphics stakes. It looks nice in the shot you have posted but thats just about the best scene in the game and it still pales next to some of the Oblivion shots already posted IMO.

Can I ask, have you actually played a modded version of Oblivion or are you making your judgements based from screenshots? I have played all 4 of the games in your shots (I own 3 of them) and can comfortably say that none impress me graphically like a modded Oblivion - which I play through the same TV for direct comparison. Sure PGR3 looks a lot more realistic but its a racer so hardly comparable. Kameo's graphical style and engine is most comparable however it lacks in realism, scope and detail compared to Oblivon.

Anyway, there is little point in going back and forth over this, at the end of the day graphical beauty is in the eye of the beholder so we are both right in a way. If we want to talk strictly "next gen" features though then im pretty confident that a modded Oblivon can easily compete. Im thinking in terms of dynamic soft shadows, self shadowing, HDR, very detailed parallax mapping, super high res texture, massive geometry counts, huge free roaming wold and draw distance etc.... It ticks sufficient boxes on a technical level to be considered right up there with current console games. The rest is just opinion.

Back