New Oblivion PS3 Screens + Info

The PC versions framerate is respectable with a good setup, I sold off the 360 version and got the PC version becuase the 360 runs the game really rough.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) reviewed by 1up

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3158125

Joe Rybicki said:
Allow me to begin by addressing the question on everyone's mind: Is the PS3 version of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion worth buying if you already own the 360 or PC version?
The answer is a pretty definite "no." With the Knights of the Nine expansion (included in this version) already available for both of the other platforms, there just isn't enough new or improved here to justify dropping another $60. And with the question of downloadable content on PS3 still unanswered, this version is, at least in some small ways, inferior.

But if you don't own a 360 or a high-end gaming PC, I have this piece of advice for you: Run -- do not walk, run -- to your local game retailer and buy this game.

Score: 9,5

Does it lock up every hour like the 360 version did in March-May (was there a patch?)? I don't like the skill system, otherwise it would be a must buy on the PC.

Hmm was not the PS3 version supposed to look better than vanilla xbox360/PC version becouse the reviewer states otherwise.:oops:

From the link above:

You're being quite misleading. The reviewer does say that the PS3 version looks better in several areas. The whole "not worth it if you already own the 360 or PC version" is based on there not being enough new to warrant spending another $60 on the game.

Anyway, it's only a port. Looking any better than its lead platform is gravy.

Phat

(I'm gonna get yelled at....)

Todd33,
If you want a revamped Oblivion, try out Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. He's reworked basically everything. It's also a fairly refined mod, up to v1.3.1 now. A year of effort from his team/group.

Todd33,
If you want a revamped Oblivion, try out Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. He's reworked basically everything. It's also a fairly refined mod, up to v1.3.1 now. A year of effort from his team/group.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. The skills system is signifcantly better with OOO. Its actually worthwhile building your character up now!

well, the textures, draw distance, frame rate and load times are better (confirmed by bethesda and pete)

Framerate and load time would depend on your PC setup. Draw distance im not so sure about, certainly the stick PC version had greater draw distance than the 360, not sure how that would stack up to the PS3. Of course increasing draw distance in the PC version is as easy as opening a txt file and changing the number so its a bit of a moot point.

Todd33,

Nice. I'll have to tell my friend too. He wants to try it again on the PC (we both traded in our 360 version) and he hated the "punish you for using skills" system.

Framerate and load time would depend on your PC setup. Draw distance im not so sure about, certainly the stick PC version had greater draw distance than the 360, not sure how that would stack up to the PS3. Of course increasing draw distance in the PC version is as easy as opening a txt file and changing the number so its a bit of a moot point.

I'll second that and pulling the draw distance from the "maximum" default of 10,5km to 25km affects my fps with 2fps down!

Neverthless the fog has to be forced to be further away with the variabel setfog -100 -xxxxxx. But this is the PS3 section so this better fits in the PC section, I'm gone now!;)

i was comparing it to the 360 version alone.

this is the console section after all.

Seems like the framerate is noticeably smoother, with less loading (no) in between areas and toned down bloom. Looks good to me :D

In addition, some of the textures are a bit sharper too. You'd have to pause the video as the players are moving fairly quickly. Look at the King's chest and the bits of the wall and also the player's shield.

Comparing the sword while it is drawn, you can see there is MSAA going on in the 360 version while there is none of that in the PS3 version. The rock road in the village near the end seems more bumpy looking in the 360 version whereas the PS3 version looks a flat. Character shadows on 360 seem soft versus hard edged on PS3 (see the fight scene).

PS3 version seems to have slightly more detail in its textures, pause the video at 45 seconds were it shows you the king on both platforms and look at the texture detail on his red shirt, the PS3 version has slightly more detail. Seems to a tiny touch more detail on the rock textures aswel. Also higher amount of texture filtering going on in the PS3 version aswel. :)

PS3:
better distant textures
better texture filtering
slightly better texture detail
more realistic saturation (imo, opinions will differ)

360:
better anti-aliasing (aliasing not bad on the ps3 version though)
in the village, the ground on the 360 version was bumpy whereas the ps3 version looked flat. this doesn't necessarily make it look better though.

overall, i prefer the ps3 version, albeit, not by much.

Heh, djskribbles, your post looks strikingly similar to one I just responded to over at AVSforum. ;)

Anyway, I'm suprised at how much better the textures look on the PS3 version compaired to the 360 version considering their respective memory configurations. Granted, having no AA on the PS3 saves some room. I really didn't expect textures on the PS3 version to be on par with the PC version though, but judging from the video it looks like they are.

360 Update simultaneously released?

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=515020&page=3

Teamxbox Swanlee said:
OK I'm an oblivion vet with 141 hrs played I know exactly how this game looks, I have a 42 inch 1080P LCD and am using the VGA cables to get up converted 1080P for this game. I think I can be a good judge of what this patch did to the graphics

Textures are much sharper all over

Textures stay sharp for further distances, buildings from across the streets now have very very sharp brick and roof textures where before they were blurry, road textures are much sharper for longer distance.
Textures right up close are ALOT sharper

Land textures from far away are sharper and have some depth to them. Before thjey were basically just blurry gloss over area of plain green like an N64 game. Now they maintain some texture depth and the colors are blended better and have a more realistic look, No more flat glossy far away land textures. Players and weapon textures are sharper. I seem to see more blood when fighting now.

No more Pop-in, grass, trees and buildings fade in a lot more smoothly in a realistic manner, no more make a turn in the forests and 30 trees pop in out of nowhere. Outside loading area message has been reduced.

Seems to be more grass and shrubs around, also the basic ground texture is sharper, easily see blades of grass within the ground texture.

Color Pallette is more realistic, there seem to be more varied colors and less bland basic primary colors around.

Loading is faster all around.

Main difference is the much SHARPER textures on everything.

That's what I notice so far, big difference for me and good job from Bethesda and supporting this game a year after it has been released.

Interesting, this could make the small gap in graphics difference non existent between the two versions. Here some screen grabs with links to the same images but in bigger size. The xbox360 version doesn't have the latest patch that is supposed to improve visual IQ quite a bit.

( http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/Oblivionps3vsXbox360-1.jpg )
OBps3X1.jpg

( http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/Oblivionps3vsXbox360-2.jpg )
OBps3X2.jpg

( http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/Oblivionps3vsXbox360-3.jpg )
OBps3X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back