Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag (PS3, X360, PS4, XBOne)

AC4 was an absolutely superb game with gorgeous graphics that can easily stand up to other 'next gen' games.
I can only assume you put "next-gen" in quotes because you're referring to other cross-gen games. Because AC4 is pretty damn weak compared to actual next-gen games that didn't have to cater to PS3/X360 versions. AC4 is a last-gen game through and through, and it looks it, no matter which next-gen system you're running it on.

You're right in that the gameplay is fine, but it is starting to get a bit stale, and it's far from perfect. New hardware opens up new doors in terms of AI, physics, etc, and they'd be idiots not take advantage of it.

AC4's greatest weakness is the lighting and materials system, in some ways it feels even weaker than AC1 or 2 did because it tries to push the engine too far. Hopefully ACU will be able to demonstrate how much can be gained by certain technical improvements there.

While AC4 has clear weaknesses with last-gen assets in particular, the way they've upped the resolution and detail of the water, weather and animation of foliage is really quite fetching at times. Combined with having some really nice art, the game can look pretty great IMHO.

Yeah its clearly not as photorealistic as Ryse or BF4 but it has a hell of a lot going for it and the art style works perfectly IMO to give an almost cell shaded, but still very detailed look. I also found the lighting to be very nice in parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbliverpool
AC4 was an absolutely superb game with gorgeous graphics that can easily stand up to other 'next gen' games.

I can only assume you put "next-gen" in quotes because you're referring to other cross-gen games. Because AC4 is pretty damn weak compared to actual next-gen games that didn't have to cater to PS3/X360 versions. AC4 is a last-gen game through and through, and it looks it, no matter which next-gen system you're running it on.

You're right in that the gameplay is fine, but it is starting to get a bit stale, and it's far from perfect. New hardware opens up new doors in terms of AI, physics, etc, and they'd be idiots not take advantage of it.

Yeah, totally agree. Ubisoft needs to bring something fresh to the gameplay, without copying its famous titles like Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. They should also improve the graphics, especially the human physics to look as realistic as possible. I mean like real human, given that next-gen consoles have all the power to execute that goal.

Back