Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

Is it any surprise that Capcom's Framework engine which was most likely ported form 360 and has already produced 2 360 games seems to be more optimized on that platform (3rd gen title 360 VS 1st gen title PS3)? Also, I remember noticing a difference in text and fine detail sharpness when I switched from component to HDMI. Would be curious to see if the results would vary as much with HDMI comparison shots (for both platforms).

Picture 5 is clearly motion blur IMO. The floor texture tiles are offset 2 pixels down and left (or up and right!) in the bottom left of the screen but offset by a narrow gap in other parts of the scene. I'd say the camera was rotating a little and two images are being superimposed, but that doesn't tally with the figures. Not sure what's happening there.

GIF comparision based on dot50cal's image set.:D

I'm somewhat wary of using a 256-color format for image quality comparison purposes.

To me it's obvious that some of the textures on the PS3 version are 2x smaller (actually, 2x2 smaller) - I'm very surprised that some people are trying to spin it into something else, e.g. Quincunx.

If you want me to say something negative for the Xbox version so I can appear objective, there were shots at NeoGAF where a certain ice construct looked much more bland there; also, in the fire level, some of the fire surfaces suffered much worse from DXTn compression than on the PS3 version.

Picture 5 is clearly motion blur IMO. The floor texture tiles are offset 2 pixels down and left (or up and right!) in the bottom left of the screen but offset by a narrow gap in other parts of the scene. I'd say the camera was rotating a little and two images are being superimposed, but that doesn't tally with the figures. Not sure what's happening there.

I would say the same of picture 2 as well. No way do the floor textures look that blurry when the camera is static.

Is there a possibility that this may be due to different calibration settings needed for each console?
Some publications refer to the PS3 version as looking identical or slightly better, something I find odd in these images, especially after seeing some other images before posted by others

Why even have shadows when they look like this?

Trust me, it's worse without them :)

This is the worst case for the perspective-correcting family of shadowing algorithms, when the camera direction almost coincides with the light direction - so this shot is a particularly bad one. You can achieve similar shots in most modern games, because of the ubiquity of this family of algorithms.

i tested both version
PS3 and X360 version are 720p with 2x AA, clearly identifiable (not quincunx)
Texture resolution are the same too
only textures filtering are different, more clean on PS3 but more diffus/blurry, X360 version filtering is more aliased/artefact but more sharped

Last edited by a moderator:
With all respect, how did you arrive to that conclusion?

Some of the shots, e.g. the opera house carpet, definitely look like lower-res textures on the PS3 to me.

block camera on object/wall for zoom on texture and differentiate texel (i not tested all texture, juste 3-4)
i think your impressions are influenced by texture filtering wich is importante for texture detail visibility, and filtering is differente on PS3 et X360 version
and on screenshots we don't see the negative aliasied/artefact effect product by sharped texture filtering on X360 version, we see that in move only
they are positive and negative point on both filtering version, the rest is the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic it may be, but I'll write my first impressions of the demo. :cool:

Very disappointed.
Nice graphics, with framerate, textures and all but the demo felt so last gen with abrupt camera changes, teleporting doors, etc.

I can't say much about core gameplay since the demo didn't care to help me beyond R1 button (First time DMCer), but difficulty was such that triangle and O were enough.

And putting a time limit isn't the smartest thing to do either.

I would like to hear if there is a secret that makes whole thing enjoyable before I delete the demo. As of now it ranks well below Conan and NGS (demo of which was quite good despite the exact same last gen presentation).

Any immediate feedback on how this game feels with the 360's controller? I'm tempted to pre-order for the free stuff since I'll buy it day one anyway.

Cheers in advance.

Off topic it may be, but I'll write my first impressions of the demo. :cool:

Very disappointed.
Nice graphics, with framerate, textures and all but the demo felt so last gen with abrupt camera changes, teleporting doors, etc.

I can't say much about core gameplay since the demo didn't care to help me beyond R1 button (First time DMCer), but difficulty was such that triangle and O were enough.

And putting a time limit isn't the smartest thing to do either.

I would like to hear if there is a secret that makes whole thing enjoyable before I delete the demo. As of now it ranks well below Conan and NGS (demo of which was quite good despite the exact same last gen presentation).

Whoah for me DMC4 is gaming heaven

Trust me, it's worse without them :)

This is the worst case for the perspective-correcting family of shadowing algorithms, when the camera direction almost coincides with the light direction - so this shot is a particularly bad one. You can achieve similar shots in most modern games, because of the ubiquity of this family of algorithms.
true these horrible shadows are better than none.
but if u look at that screenshot the only things casting the shadows are confined into a small area (thus the SM frustum can be small)
WRT perspective SM u can switch over to normal SM easily in the degenerant cases (ie theyre easy to detect)
the SM looks like 256x256

note ive never played a DMC game but have heard about them, ive gotta say based on these screenshots it looks like theyre still using their ps2 engine

I feel like a retard, but Im stuck. In the cathedral, where do you go? I got the skull thing that lets you retrieve things from afar. Then after that, I cant get to the other door thats on the map, and that you can see. Ive tried jumping from the tumbled ledge, but cant make it. Im sure its an easy thing.. but for some reason Im stuck. :/

I feel like a retard, but Im stuck. In the cathedral, where do you go? I got the skull thing that lets you retrieve things from afar. Then after that, I cant get to the other door thats on the map, and that you can see. Ive tried jumping from the tumbled ledge, but cant make it. Im sure its an easy thing.. but for some reason Im stuck. :/

you use the skull thing twice (on the glowing spots on the floor), and then you run to the end where the red heart thing is (you can jump across and get it if you want) and there is a door there. For the 360 the A button takes you through the door (I assume it would be x on the ps3 but I just don't know).

Back