Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

i don't care if it looks like a PS2 game (not saying it does), i'm a huge DMC fan and ill be buying it day 1 regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't care if it looks like a PS2 game (not saying it does), i'm a huge DMC fan and ill be buying it day 1 regardless.

I didn't buy a PS3 to play "next-gen" titles that look like last gen, so I'll pass on this one, unless DMC4 somehow manages to get rave reviews despite its graphics.

The engine this game is running is looks great - check out Lost Planet and Dead Rising. Maybe it's just a personal preference regarding taste, but I'm actually pretty excited about this game.

I didn't buy a PS3 to play "next-gen" titles that look like last gen, so I'll pass on this one, unless DMC4 somehow manages to get rave reviews despite its graphics.
you honestly think it looks last gen? it looks good imo... definitely not the best looking game, but the gameplay is what i love about DMC games.

There's no way in hell that looks even close to any game from last generation. I seriously get tired of these "looks last gen" comments, the game has solid visuals... they're not amazing but then again not every game has to be.

you honestly think it looks last gen? it looks good imo... definitely not the best looking game, but the gameplay is what i love about DMC games.

I expect more out of "next-gen" titles to deserve that moniker. The style of the art looks exactly like the previous PS2 versions, and with all those jagged edges it looks about the same to me. Of course they're using higher-res textures but the jaggies & art direction really kill it for me.

I guess you could say it's just not my style of game. Also, I've never been impressed by anything Capcom has done graphically, including Lost Planet. I don't have anything against them, I just can't ever remember a title they've produced which has left a lasting impression of "yeah, those graphics are/were great".

Call me an eye-candy whore, but again; I did not buy a PS3 + HDMI cable for my 1080P 42" LCD to play titles that are anything less than "wow!"

There's no way in hell that looks even close to any game from last generation. I seriously get tired of these "looks last gen" comments, the game has solid visuals... they're not amazing but then again not every game has to be.

I'm not going to argue with you. It is my OPINION that this game does not look good enough to be deemed "next-gen". I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me.

I expect more out of "next-gen" titles to deserve that moniker. The style of the art looks exactly like the previous PS2 versions, and with all those jagged edges it looks about the same to me. Of course they're using higher-res textures but the jaggies & art direction really kill it for me.

I guess you could say it's just not my style of game. Also, I've never been impressed by anything Capcom has done graphically, including Lost Planet. I don't have anything against them, I just can't ever remember a title they've produced which has left a lasting impression of "yeah, those graphics are/were great".

Call me an eye-candy whore, but again; I did not buy a PS3 + HDMI cable for my 1080P 42" LCD to play titles that are anything less than "wow!"

I'm not going to argue with you. It is my OPINION that this game does not look good enough to be deemed "next-gen". I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me.

Have you seen the game running in front of your eyes?

Or are you talking about what you've seen with respect to the poor quality, heavily compressed video footage floating around the net?

From what I've seen so far the game looks as good as, if not better than Lost Planet & Dead Rising (two games running off the same engine) & unless you think both those titles look "last gen" too then i'm not sure where your accusations hold merit?

Yeah I liked what I saw as well. The PSN trailer looks beauitiful.

Btw when are we going to get that demo? I hope it will be this thursday

Have you seen the game running in front of your eyes?

Or are you talking about what you've seen with respect to the poor quality, heavily compressed video footage floating around the net?

Well, seeing as how the game isn't actually out yet, what do you think?

From what I've seen so far the game looks as good as, if not better than Lost Planet & Dead Rising (two games running off the same engine) & unless you think both those titles look "last gen" too then i'm not sure where your accusations hold merit?

It's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

for those that don't know, DMC4 for PS3 has an about 20 minute mandatory install but supposedly that makes the load times shorter.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8566301&publicUserId=4549175
For those of you asking me if there are any noticeable differences or trade-offs between the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of DMC4, you'll be glad to know (or not) that there aren't any. OK, if you were to turn on both versions and just let the demo trailer run automatically, you'll find that the PS3 version is sharper, thanks undoubtedly to using the Blu-ray format over the DVD format, even if both games run in 720p, but once you start the actual game they're identical.

I'll leave the in-depth visual analysis for some upcoming coverage we have planned for DMC4, but a couple other points: Xbox 360 controls feel really good, especially since every 360 controller has the force-feedback. If you've imported a Dual Schock 3 from Japan you're all set, but if you're one of the many without a DS3 you'll be missing out a little. The PS3 has not-that-noticeably shorter load times between screens, but that's like 2 seconds versus the Xbox 360's 3 second loads. Seriously, count out 3 seconds. The PS3, however, forces you to install the game on your harddrive, a not insignificant process. I don't know why you're made to do this
The PS3 installation is around 5 GB so I'm surprised that there's no big difference between a 2 second versus 3 second load. Then again, IGN said in their last podcast that the 360 load times were around 5-10 seconds. The PS3 still shouldn't have a load time though considering it has basically the entire game loaded (other than maybe the CGI movies) on the hard drive. I'm not totally bummed about it, but it's annoying.

Good to hear that the 360 pad seems to work all right though.

I don't see anything in that trailer that says last gen... In fact I find the graphics very good for the type of game. As for the cheasy story, well, every DMC to date had one. But I think it's part of the fun.

for those that don't know, DMC4 for PS3 has an about 20 minute mandatory install but supposedly that makes the load times shorter.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8566301&publicUserId=4549175

The PS3 installation is around 5 GB so I'm surprised that there's no big difference between a 2 second versus 3 second load.

Probably because for raw throughput a 5200 RPM hard drive is not that much faster than 12X DVD. The seek times are supposedly the biggest advantage, but even so 2 seconds vs 3 is a "50%" reduction for PS3.

I imagine the HDD dump is not entirely related to benefitting load times only but also largely due to a greater demand with resepct to data streaming on the PS3 platform..

Maybe the developers (as an example) balanced the engine to simultaneously stream data from the HDD to one mem pool & BD-ROM to another for performance reasons?

It would make sense anyways for devs to greater leverage the HDD of the PS3 over the 360 since the presence of a HDD in the 360 version isn't always guaranteed..

Maybe the developers (as an example) balanced the engine to simultaneously stream data from the HDD to one mem pool & BD-ROM to another for performance reasons?

That's interesting. Haven't heard anyone mention about this kind of method before. It would be interesting to know which games have used it, and which haven't.

Why it requires total HDD installation is obvious IMO.

The base development environment for MT Framework is PC, and PC has an HDD.
I expect the PC version and PS3 version work almost exactly the same way in terms of HDD usage. And it saves lots of time.

Why it requires total HDD installation is obvious IMO.

The base development environment for MT Framework is PC, and PC has an HDD.
I expect the PC version and PS3 version work almost exactly the same way in terms of HDD usage. And it saves lots of time.
that would make sense. whopefully DMC5 and other PS3 Capcom games no longer have a "long" installation though.

Back