Artefacts on Xbox 360 Kiosk Machines

From what I understand the kiosks may overheat if the store places the powersupply (The brick) inside of the kiosk. It's supposed to be left on the outside.

Aren't the X360 demo units set up by MS agents?! They should know what to do! If even they don't know what to do, what hope does MS have!!!

But there's no kiosk at Walmart. It's just sitting inside the glass case just like it would in your entertainment center.

You have to wonder if they tested it under conditions where the machine is on 24/7 for weeks at a time :p

london-boy said:
Aren't the X360 demo units set up by MS agents?! They should know what to do! If even they don't know what to do, what hope does MS have!!!

There may be some confusion as to who the agents are, here in the states, when I use to work retail you would have people (I believe they work for Keystone something or other) setting up kiosks/end-caps things of that nature, they don't work for the companies they are just "representing" them. Usually, the "agents" have certain days for certain companies, they may come in one day "representing" Norton and then the nexy day they are "representing" Samsung. Hence, all the different pens I have lying around the house, all given to me by one person, but still from 20 different companies. I did notice that the Xbox rep we had was always the same person, but I don't believe they didn't work for MSFT either, besides the store managers had a key to the kiosks as well, so things would always get changed. Also, the general computing/gaming knowledge held by most of the reps was underwhelming to say the least; really good people, but it is just an outsourced marketing job.

***NOTE*** I have no insight as to who is setting-up the current displays, but I do remember Major Nelson interviewing someone saying that the software for the kiosks is not final, so that may account for anomalies.

seismologist said:
But there's no kiosk at Walmart. It's just sitting inside the glass case just like it would in your entertainment center.

That one pictured in the link above is in a kiosk. You can tell by the custom cabinet for the Samsung HDTV in the second shot.

xbdestroya said:
For you, you might need to pursue a volt mod to clock your GPU higher, assuming the temps are under control.

I assumed the temps were the problem. I bump the clock frequency and after about 30 minutes I start to see these artifacts. I'm sure it's nowhere near 90 deg but it seems like overheating. Mines a 6600 I dont think these are very good for overclocking.

Powderkeg said:
That one pictured in the link above is in a kiosk. You can tell by the custom cabinet for the Samsung HDTV in the second shot.

I could be wrong but... My Walmart has that same boder around the 360 display but it's not a kiosk. It's mounted above the display case with the rest of the game monitors.

seismologist said:
I could be wrong but... My Walmart has that same boder around the 360 display but it's not a kiosk. It's mounted above the display case with the rest of the game monitors.

I think you are wrong. The triangle shape of the bottom of the TV with the single power button is exclusive to Kiosk displays.

retail_kiosk.jpg

Samsung does not sell any other model of HDTV with that shape.

Powderkeg said:
I think you are wrong. The triangle shape of the bottom of the TV with the single power button is exclusive to Kiosk displays.

retail_kiosk.jpg

Actually, it does, though it might depend on in which territory. That's the exact TV they're currently advertising on television in the UK.

The Samsung R41/R51 series is probably the best selling HDTV these days at least in the UK. It's cheap and it looks great.

My 32R51BDX is arriving this week in fact and i can't wait!

I'm confident this set is now so cheap also because MS ordered a few tens of thousands.

It's not a high-end solution, but it's one hell of a set considering the price (nowadays you can find the 32" for £850 and the 26" for around £600)

Powderkeg said:

[image]

Powderkeg what is with you making bold claims without doing any research first?

If you like this TV so much, go buy it today: Best Buy

Powderkeg said:

retail_kiosk.jpg

Now that you posted that picture Im sure that I'm right. The artifact pics are from the same setup that all Walmarts are using.
Just like this.
http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/kiosk/Picture002.jpg

It's got the cardboard 360 boder around it. Your official 360 kiosk doesnt. They're all probably using the same Samsung displays though.

Yup, that confirms it was at walmart.

Now, we need a corroborating source, these could easily be photochops by some bored kid...

A bored kid who can work absolute magic with Photoshop maybe, but I'm pretty sure those pics are real. Not that I think it is anything worth getting exited about, I can duct-tape over the vents on my PC or my Xbox and they will show simlar artifacts. If this was happening in many display units then it might be worth some concern, but there is nothing interesting about the fact that electronics overheat without proper circulations.

seismologist said:
Now that you posted that picture Im sure that I'm right. The artifact pics are from the same setup that all Walmarts are using.
Just like this.
http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/kiosk/Picture002.jpg

It's got the cardboard 360 boder around it. Your official 360 kiosk doesnt. They're all probably using the same Samsung displays though.
Yep. The only difference is that the artifact shots have the lower section of cardboard removed. You can see on your shot that it is a separate piece. They probably didn't know where that piece went and so they wrapped it around the X360 vents. :LOL:

-aldo

Ouch!!!!

Is this going to be an issue for the first wave of units? If it does become an issue, ouch again.

aldo said:
Yep. The only difference is that the artifact shots have the lower section of cardboard removed. You can see on your shot that it is a separate piece. They probably didn't know where that piece went and so they wrapped it around the X360 vents. :LOL:

-aldo
LOL

McFly said:
http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=432 (click for pics)

Problems with the GPU?

Fredi

we had tehse from the day we hooked up the system. Its just a problem in game code. Just like king kong falling through the world with the t rex and still fighting it . Or when kong turns blue . Thoguh ours doesn't get anywhere near this bad .

IN the eb at a local mall the cables were replaced for something similar to whats shown in the screens

Back