AMD's FSR 3 upscaling and frame interpolation *spawn

FSR Frame Generation vs DLSS Frame Generation in Ghost of Tsushima.

AMD's Frame Generation image has some weird small black pixels around trees in the distance that are constantly flickering when standing still, and half of them will disappear when you start moving the camera. These artifacts are present with any antialiasing or upscaling solution as the base image, which indicates that they are caused by AMD's Frame Generation alone

The second most noticeable difference is stability of shadows in motion: with AMD's Frame Generation enabled, the player's shadows are extremely jittery in motion, and it becomes significantly worse when the shadows are interlacing with the grass

The amount of these artifacts varies depending on your framerate. For example, running the game at 60 FPS with AMD's Frame Generation will have significantly more jittery shadows compared to running the game at 120 FPS

Also, AMD's Frame Generation solution has a slightly softer overall image compared to NVIDIA's Frame Generation

tried switching between FSR3 ON and OFF, did not see much of a difference, what is it supposed to do ? bump the framerate from 55ish to 63ish ?

tried switching between FSR3 ON and OFF, did not see much of a difference, what is it supposed to do ? bump the framerate from 55ish to 63ish ?
If the FSR3 "only" brings so much that it turns the fluctuating framerate below 60 FPS into a stable 60 or above, that's already a great thing.

had my first experience today with FSR3 (and FSR3 FG) by sheer chance when testing Lossless Scaling. It wasn't a good experience. Now I can understand why AMD is working on a IA solution for that, FSR3 glitched adding lots of non existing sparkles to a pile of rubber. Lossless Scaling is a one man made app that uses Machine Learning for frame generation, and not only it doesn't glitch like that, but it triples your framerate -and it is VERY noticeable-, contrary to FSR3 where your framerate increases but it doesn't even double.

When I saw the glitch I recorded a 1 minute video so there would be proof. The glitch starts after the 28 seconds mark.

edit: I enabled Lossless Scaling in the video at the 55 seconds mark, when the character punches the wall, since it uses the Control + Alt + S keyboard shortcut to be enabled, hence the punch. The point is that with LS enabled, there is no glitch.

Last edited:
Yeah, FSR upscaling really hasn't impressed me for the several times I've tried it. Honestly, I feel like Intel's XeSS 1.2 did a better job than FSR in every example where I compared the two.

However, I will say FSR framegen worked flawlessly for me, and was a boon for my aged Gigabyte Aero 15x v8 and the 1070MaxQ therein. I'm looking forward to the generalized Lossless Scaling implementation which should work on "every" game, specifically for my older laptop.

FSR3.1 is now available in 5 titles. Nixxes has updated all of their games on Steam and EGS to support FSR3.1 as well as other various fixes and improvements.

Screenshot-2024-06-27-161645.png

Nice timing to coincide with the Steam Summer sale which is going on now. Most of these games have nice discounts, so if anyone was on the fence, now might be the best time.

I personally can't wait to try Ratchet and Clank out on the Steam Deck now. With FSR3.1's improved quality, it should make the situation there much better.

Can confirm the bottom video with Ratchet. It's definitely much better as far as image breakup in motion compared to what it was before, but still has the least temporally stable image of all the reconstruction techniques. It's not the entire image, but certain aspects of the image. The confetti shimmers like crazy.

I'll still take this over what it was any day of the week.. at least as far as Ratchet goes. They really do need to improve stability though.

Have there been any performance comparisons between FSR, XESS cross vendor and UE5’s reconstruction? Knowing the differences would help in determining whether or not FSR 2 is just bad tech.

Tried to play Ratchet and Clank on the Steam Deck to test out FSR3.1.... and... it doesn't work at all. Doesn't even list it as an option, it just says FSR2.2. What a disappointment.

Back