All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

this is pretty guarded I suspect. This particular calculation is probably not all that different from
# hits/views => profitability
You seem suspicious, you used the word "suspect" twice. I would be really happy for Microsoft to dispense with the calculation and provide profit/loss information for the Xbox division. Like everybody else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Once again Eastmen, you're ignoring that they are only buying 1/10th of an Xbox blade for that customer...

Once again even 1/10th is more than 0.

If we have two people and one uses xcloud only and one buys an xbox series s and game pass. Microsoft will make more money off the xbox series s buyer. Esp as microsoft makes more of a profit on the series s through the life time of the console.

The benefit is that MS moves the cost of actually running the game onto the personal hardware of the user. MS also gets that guaranteed monthly subscription cost. It would be the same with the series x buyer in the senario.

Well, you're setting up a straw man. I didn't say they prefer it, just that they love it.

In a chip supply constrained world in particular MS loves someone who spends their $300 on GP + games + microtransactions instead of hardware. Sure, they would love that an X One user buy an XSS as well, but it's not central to their strategy once xCloud gets going.

From a business perspective, MAU is of limited use without a clear statement of how MAU relates to profitability. I get that Microsoft have money and that profitability is on the TO DO list but still. Lots of services are popular (healthy) but loss-making.

I'm in the Xbox ecosystem and want to know that Microsoft do have a plan. It would be nice to know that the Board do not have some doomclock ticking down for shuttering the gaming division unless it can actually turn a profit. They're spending billions and billions and you can't just do that endlessly with other people's money. I.e investors.
From most services company perspective yes. But this is the giant Microsoft we are talking about. They can afford to be only interested about MAU for years to come. Their next logical step, I think, will be to start using gamepass to sell non gaming services / apps.

From most services company perspective yes. But this is the giant Microsoft we are talking about. They can afford to be only interested about MAU for years to come. Their next logical step, I think, will be to start using gamepass to sell non gaming services / apps.
No, they can't. This is not Microsoft's money, it's owned by their investors. Satya Nadella (CEO) owns stock (around $270m) in Microsoft.

You have to wonder how many sales the S's sitting on shelves have cost Microsoft. All of those silicon could have been X that would have sold through. Might have cost them an NPD or two who knows.

You have to wonder how many sales the S's sitting on shelves have cost Microsoft. All of those silicon could have been X that would have sold through. Might have cost them an NPD or two who knows.
The real question is which console does Microsoft want to sell more of. Do they lose more money on one than they do the other? Is the digital only nature of the S more preferable to Microsoft? Was it possible that they could produce many more of one if they didn't produce as many of the others? There are too many unknowns.

Their making the most that they can based on available parts.
They just happen to be able to make more XSS, especially when you factor in XSX blades also.

From all accounts XSS is selling ok.
You think it would be better to produce 1 XSX compared to 4 XSS?
Having them on shelves easily available is a good thing, not bad.

Agreed. The XSS is turning out to be a smart move due to chip shortages, but we'll know more about it's long term viability when the shortages end.

I imagine the vast majority of APUs are in Series S are binned chips not fit for Series X.

They don't use binned XSX chips, different chips.
Interesting. I guess Microsoft do think they'll sell significantly more Series S consoles than Series X.

I didn't follow all the APU stuff last year and had no idea they were very different sizes as well.

Their making the most that they can based on available parts.
They just happen to be able to make more XSS, especially when you factor in XSX blades also.

From all accounts XSS is selling ok.
You think it would be better to produce 1 XSX compared to 4 XSS?
Having them on shelves easily available is a good thing, not bad.
Do we know they are making more series S
The places where we get the actual sales numbers eg Spain, Japan don't support this, OK yes their are series S on shelves thus they could be making more.

most recent week Japan
Xbox Series X – 435
Xbox Series S – 198

Most recent week Spain, next week should be good for series S, as it had a 30 euro discount and there is plenty of stock, so Im expecting a large week > 5000 maybe even > 10000
Xbox Series X - 1450
Xbox Series S - 800

In gaming there is a phenomenon named whales, these are the few percent of ppl at the top who spend much more than other ppl, these are the ppl MS wants
heres an article that I assume talks about it
https://www.tapjoy.com/resources/th...o-play-mobile-gamers - and-how-to-treat-them/

these ppl will not be happy with a series S, they want a series X.
Whales love gamepass

Do we know they are making more series S
The places where we get the actual sales numbers eg Spain, Japan don't support this, OK yes their are series S on shelves thus they could be making more.

most recent week Japan
Xbox Series X – 435
Xbox Series S – 198

Most recent week Spain, next week should be good for series S, as it had a 30 euro discount and there is plenty of stock, so Im expecting a large week > 5000 maybe even > 10000
Xbox Series X - 1450
Xbox Series S - 800

In gaming there is a phenomenon named whales, these are the few percent of ppl at the top who spend much more than other ppl, these are the ppl MS wants
heres an article that I assume talks about it
https://www.tapjoy.com/resources/the-top-personas-of-free-to-play-mobile-gamers - and-how-to-treat-them/

these ppl will not be happy with a series S, they want a series X.
Whales love gamepass

Everyone should love game pass. its a low cost alternative to purchasing games out right.

Back