Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inclusion of mods allows the game to look graphically better ? I saw a couple screenshots that made Skyrim look fairly modern with all the mods on 1X
Which mods?

I was under the impression that Bethesda's officially supported mods, which is all you have access too on console, do not give access to the rendering system. You can add/remove/modify assets and scripts, but that's about it.

Isn't that only on PS4? On XBox they supported lots of Mods. Cyan provided an epic summary of many, many mods.
Replacing the rendering system with ENB types mods means replacing core libraries, Bethesda do not support this through CreationKit modding.

Replacing the rendering system with ENB types mods means replacing core libraries, Bethesda do not support this through CreationKit modding.

edit: to put this in perspective, there are official mods, then on PC there are Nexus mods then there are ENB mods which require manual installs to replace Skyrim's core libraries. You can boost Skyrim's visuals with higher resolution texture packs and replacing common assets, like 3D models, with more detailed versions, but what generally results is a jarring mishmash of old/new visuals. To really change Skyrim you replace it's fundamental rendering system and everything in the core game.

DigitalFoundry has a video on "How Does Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One Actually Work?". No article yet.

Rich spoke to Microsoft about how Xbox 360 back-compat and XBox One X enhanced 360 support actually work. We'll have more on this soon, but in the meantime, here are the top-line facts. Emulation, you say? It's actually a bit more complex than that...

Which mods?

I was under the impression that Bethesda's officially supported mods, which is all you have access too on console, do not give access to the rendering system. You can add/remove/modify assets and scripts, but that's about it.
I don't have this game, nor do I follow it, so If I'm wrong please don't blow me up ;)

what teh game looks like modded
0eno6wy.jpg

mods the guy is running:

Judging by that picture it looks like ass, if thats it with all the bells and whistles enabled on a powerful PC
theres better looking unmodded stuff on weaker consoles
Ok.

I mean, you’re probably right. But that’s a lot of assumption on what the game looks like modded off one photo.

Judging by that picture it looks like ass, if thats it with all the bells and whistles enabled on a powerful PC
theres better looking unmodded stuff on weaker consoles

That's running on console (XBO edit: not the X) not PC. And the mods he's using would choke weaker consoles.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Switch: Great When Docked But What About Portable Play?
Xenoblade pushes the Switch's mobile-based Tegra technology hard. It holds up nicely when playing docked, but is this game just too ambitious for portable play?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-chronicles-2-push-switch-mobile-mode-too-far

It's been a remarkable year for Nintendo's Switch and Monolith Soft is ensuring a strong finish with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Building on the technology that powered Xenoblade X on the Wii U, this new game expands upon its engine in numerous ways enabling cool new visual effects in the process, but this ambition is met with unexpected drawbacks that detract from its overall presentation, including the one of the lowest recorded rendering resolutions we've seen on record. Clearly, the developers have walked the tightrope here in terms of balancing new features with the hardware limits of the Nintendo hybrid and we're not entirely sure that it's fully paid off.
Ultimately, there's the sense that Xenoblade 2 is a game of two halves - it's a visually upgraded experience over its Wii U predecessor, and holds up pretty well when playing docked, but the handheld experience just doesn't hold up to anything like the same standard. The game is impressive overall, but compared to the pristine works created by Nintendo itself this year, Xenoblade 2 feels like a step down in many ways. It looks and runs worse than Zelda, that's for sure, while lacking some of the more advanced rendering features. That said, the game itself is great fun - the characters are charming, the world is engaging and the soundtrack is superb. It may be rough around the edges, and we're not entirely sure that the portable mode holds up well at all, but it's still an excellent RPG for Switch users that's well worth checking out.

Been playing Xenoblade over the weekend. Sure, the game looks a bit soft in portable mode, but I was still blown away by the fact I'm playing something which looks like this on a portable device. Really cool game as well. I even like the voice acting. I do find the Zelda comparisons a bit odd, though. Sure, it's a crisper looking game, but it's also nowhere near as visually busy either. Where Zelda really shines (as a matter of fact: it outshines every other open world game in that area) is in its systems-driven world interactivity. And while XBX2 isn't quite up to Nintendo's usual standards of polish (in all fairness, it took a couple of patches to get Breath of the Wild running smoothly as well, and it's still only 99% perfect in that regard), it's still entirely devoid of any truly serious issues.

Last edited:
X1X: 1728p + PC epic settings - BR - 30fps, non battle royale, will dip to low 20s. I would not play this setting without additional work.
4Pro: 1080 + less than PC epic settings - 30fps on all modes.

Last edited:
The game is still in early access, but they didn't put a lot of work on the Pro version.

Last edited:
The game has non-BattleRoyal Modes? What's the difference, besides game play, like wouldn't BR mode mean more players in each game, like 100 players instead of 8v8 limits like in typical team size?

The game has non-BattleRoyal Modes? What's the difference, besides game play, like wouldn't BR mode mean more players in each game, like 100 players instead of 8v8 limits like in typical team size?
AFAIK there's PVE (which I've never played) and Battle Royale (PVP). In PVP you can play solo, in duos or in squads (3-4 players) but all matches are 100 players total.

Battle Royale is by far the main draw to this game and I think it was added a few months after the PVE mode. I think PS4 Pro support was added early, before BR was even added, but I could be wrong.

Considering the performance of XB1X in PVE, maybe Epic optimized around PVP, whereas they optimized around PVE on PS4 Pro, because PVE performance is pretty bad on XB1X.

The game is still early access as Recop said. Hopefully they iron out the performance in PVE on XB1X, and hopefully they improve the Pro support. It seems like they didn't put much effort into the Pro support, they basically just upped some settings over base PS4.

Last edited:
Typically the game is a coop tower defence/horde mode. Was sold as one. When PUBG made it to fame they took the tech they built for PUBG and made a BR Fortnite. This clearly caused a lot of angst with the bluehole team since they commissioned Epic to make customizations to the engine to support requirements for their 100 player game. Fortnite is uncanny like PUBg. Wow total lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back