Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2017]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Rules of Engagement : Read before posting or run the risk of losing posting rights in the Tech Forum!

This is principally a technical discussion thread. It is allied to the other tech analysis threads and shares the same rules as those which you should familiarise yourself with. The purpose is to discuss the findings of the Digital Foundry articles on a technical level, including the techniques employed by game developers in their games, and the comparative design decisions off cross-platform titles. Digital Foundry is more closely allied with Beyond3D than other gaming sites which is why they get special mention here! :D

What this thread is not, is a place to complain about a port's quality and make accusations of developers, to offer feedback on the quality of the Digital Foundry writing or the writers' biases, trumpet your preferred console over the other, talk business and sales, or otherwise sidetrack the discussion from talking about the gaming technology covered in the Digital Foundry articles. If you do not post to the required standard, your posts will be removed, and persistent unwanted contributions will see you locked out of the Technology Forum.

If you want to leave editorial feedback for Digital Foundry, the best place is to leave a comment for the relevant article(s).

2. chris1515

Veteran Regular

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Impressive.

Short list of what stuck out.
    • Native 4k mode with higher assets than PS4-P
    • Enhanced 4k mode (some form of temporal reconstruction, checkerboard perhaps) with increased graphics IQ options from the PC version.
    • 1080p high framerate option. PS4/XBO level of graphics options.
    • Some features that even the PC version doesn't have (HDR, Dolby Atmos)
    Nixxes continues to do impressive ports of games.

Regards,
    SB

DSoup, BRiT and RootKit like this.
  4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of
    Digital Foundry takes on Quantum Break, Titanfall 2, Gears of War 4, F1 2017, Shadow of War - and more.

And it's that consistency in results - from the games we've seen thus far, at least - that is heartening. With every new PlayStation 4 Pro game that comes along, there's a sense of the unknown about what enhancements are actually going to manifest, and the extent to which an investment in a 4K screen actually pays off. Just like Sony, Microsoft has left the door open to developers to do what they want with the hardware, but certainly based on the titles we've seen so far, the delineation between the two models looks far more clear cut - Xbox One X is the console for your 4K screen, and anything else in addition to that (like Tomb Raider's multiple rendering modes) is a bonus. It's an impressive early showing then, and with over 100 games set for X enhancements, the chances are we're going to be kept really busy from November 7th onwards.​

RootKit and Silent_Buddha like this.
  5. phoenix_chipset

Regular Newcomer

Dragon quest does not seem impressive. Like with tekken it seems they couldn't get the most out of ue4. It looks nice enough but the pop in pretty bad and 1080p doesn't seem unreasonable for 30fps Cel shading.

Scalebound was ue4 and looked great besides the frame rate, damn shame they couldn't finish.

6. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Here...We...Go....

Edit: DF also updated their article with a screenshot comparison tool.

#6 mpg1, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Old news. Look back multiple posts.

8. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

9. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Maybe it's me but the Pro version never looked that blurry, at least on the high res mode. Surely they wouldn't compare the 4K X version to the high performance 1080p Pro version now, would they? :nope:

10. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

I'm assuming not but what I've noticed about screenshots is no version "looks blurry" until you see it's compared side to-to-side to a better version... if you put up a PS4/Xbox One version it would look worse again.

But in all seriousness in the article they mention that PS4 Pro has depth of field setting implemented that isn't on the Xbox One X video that may be effecting image quality.

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  11. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

Looks good. I hope to see much better texture work on the X1X so Sony can realise their folly of not equipping the Pro with any more than 512MB extra memory.

Hopefully the X1X will teach them to avoid being such tits with the probable PS5Pro.

RootKit likes this.
  12. Technewsreader

Newcomer

Next-gen better focuses on 1080P to 4K still without trying everything to reach some dumb resolution above that. Then we will have truly mind blowing games. But to be honest 1080P currently is such a great res for gaming (I use the Pro on a 1080P Display). I used to think that this gen would've been better off focusing on 1080P only but I'm starting to realize that my assumption on that was wrong.
    without a focus on 4K in the console industry we wouldn't have new techniques such as checkerboarding or Downsampling yet or anything else that gives a small boost to performance and graphics. I mean if you add that to the usual improvements you see during a life cycle, you shouldn't underestimate the future. As long devs still priotize gameplay,content, physics,(when needed) things will be fine.

#12 Technewsreader, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  13. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Textures on PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X could end up being the bigger difference maker than resolution....of course developers would have to implement.

14. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

resolution is always the easiest way to improve image-quality, but it is a very demanding way.
    I just remember playing battlefield hardline on xbox one x. It runs at 720p, but delivers a much better image quality than any battlefield before that. I really couldn't believe it runs at 720p. What I mean is, yes resolution helps to improve, but the artwork/assets are much more important right now.
    Clean edges is really only a luxury-problem. If you can live with rougher edges, imagequality can really get improved much further (at lower resolutions) ... but well, better assets cost time and money to develop and optimize.

But it also depends on the screen-size of your tv. If you have a <50" TV you should be much more resistent to resolutions <4k on a 4k screen than on a 65" TV.

It's like PS1 & PS2, with more power you can gain much more of the same resolution.

15. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

18. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Was being a bit sarcastic...though with this one game it might be true.

19. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

Looks uber, can't wait to replay it. Interested in the higher fps setting too.

RootKit likes this.
  20. Scott_Arm

Legend

I just assumed you were specifically referring to this game, and not all games in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.