Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if they shouldn't have just optimized it for native 1080p with a toggle for the temporal reconstruction (their 4-frame accumulation).
Or just used the PC version build. That should be enough for 1080p + some extras on the xb1x. The artifacts don't occure there in higher resolutions so it is really a new bug. Also the texture-load problem that I had doesn't occur in the PC version. Really strange what they were doing with this game.

Presumably, using the “PC build” would just result in the same performance problems if not worse due to API differences. That doesn’t make sense in fixing anything since the renderer is inherently expensive, performance being tied to resolution. In the video, they also mention that some parts of the rendering pipe were reduced further in the post-release while maintaining 1440p. I don’t see how the PC version would necessarily fix anything unless you simply mean brute forcing the quality settings, which is part of the problem to begin with.

Their temporal reconstruction targets a final 1.5 x 1.5 output, hence:
720p -> 1440p (via 4 frames) -> 1080p on XO

I don’t recall them changing that implementation, so I’m suggesting they take the time to do 1080p with temporal reconstruction to 4K directly since they take 4 frames worth of samples anyway. They would save a pretty big chunk on render and be able to reallocate to better settings elsewhere vs 1440p w/ low resolution artefacts made worse with even lower resolution settings.*

*XO still has plenty of artefacts, but they’re clearly worse on OneX.

Last edited:
Fallout ... Another dumb upgrade. Scale it so the frame rate is locked. Guaranteed this one is GPU as the unpatched played on One X does not have significant drops.

Most of it is likely to be GPU I think, but some of the traversal hitches may be CPU related.

As the X1X patch is pushing its combination of LOD and vegetation further than any of the other console versions, there will be additional loads, additional decompressing and additional draw calls. All of which can hit the CPU.

I do think we are seeing a bit of a trend however, where the desire to chase really high resolutions and to increase effect quality is being allowed to impact on frame rate too much. Must be really tempting for developers to show off their engines and assets when they've been constrained by earlier systems.

Most of it is likely to be GPU I think, but some of the traversal hitches may be CPU related.

As the X1X patch is pushing its combination of LOD and vegetation further than any of the other console versions, there will be additional loads, additional decompressing and additional draw calls. All of which can hit the CPU.

I do think we are seeing a bit of a trend however, where the desire to chase really high resolutions and to increase effect quality is being allowed to impact on frame rate too much. Must be really tempting for developers to show off their engines and assets when they've been constrained by earlier systems.

Yah, there are loading hitches, but the stress test area the frame rate is consistently below 30fps and drops into the 24 fps territory at times. Not acceptable. That's purely bad decision making on their scaling. They need to lower the lower bounds so it'll actually stay at 30fps.

So the general feel is that the X is super powerful, runs most games better than the Pro, but the whole situation is just as messy as we’ve seen on the Pro, with no real standards and everything in the hand of developers with greatly varying degrees of effort, budget and time available to work on them.

So the general feel is that the X is super powerful, runs most games better than the Pro, but the whole situation is just as messy as we’ve seen on the Pro, with no real standards and everything in the hand of developers with greatly varying degrees of effort, budget and time available to work on them.
I'd say Pro games generally run a bit better, but XB1X games are sometimes ~2x the pixels.

Maybe they're basing performance on base hardware, instead of pushing for more stable performance. The games that XB1X run worse than Pro, are still improvements over base XB1.

But yeah, it seems like developers are generally pushing XB1X a bit too hard.

Last edited:
Must be really tempting for developers to show off their engines and assets when they've been constrained by earlier systems.

There's already the PC for that... actually, developers seem to put little efforts on XBX. It's also true on PS4Pro but to a lesser extent because it has a larger consumer base.

actually, developers seem to put little efforts on XBX. It's also true on PS4Pro but to a lesser extent because it has a larger consumer base.
Precisely. Why bother? What's in it for the devs to go to added effort sprucing up the same game?

Precisely. Why bother? What's in it for the devs to go to added effort sprucing up the same game?
more sales! especially if you are in between titles.
If ti's not much effort to do, then it's worth doing.

I think a big problem is when you go low effort on the port (just ship it mentality), just ramp the settings, change the memory layout and ship it.
That's probably what we're seeing with a lot of the older titles here. DF is doing a good job calling them out on it. Helps bring the devs back to the table and make another pass at it if they see the $$$ coming in.

Fallout ... Another dumb upgrade. Scale it so the frame rate is locked. Guaranteed this one is GPU as the unpatched played on One X does not have significant drops.
That draw distance difference is insane between patched and non patched.

I've definitely picked up some games that I wouldn't normally pick up, only to see the Pro enhancements. And I picked up some other games only after I saw that they were patched for Pro.
On top of that, I've consciously chosen not to buy some other games because they did not support the Pro, or had next to zero enhancements.
It's an anecdote, it means little, but I'm pretty sure a few peeps do the same.

currently, it is some extra and cheap marketing to sell the title a few more times.
And the developers can use this to tweak their engines for they next title.

But we can see, that adaptive resolution still needs some time to get handled correct. The adaptive resolution should prevent such framedrops. If the framedrops would be due to cpu-limit the ps4 pro should have even more. So the adaptive resolution need a bit more "tweak-time".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back