Car game comparisons *hit & run*

Driveclub has GI and looks less realistic than GTS... GI doesn't mean photorealistic graphics.
GTS has no GI and its urban environments look less realistic than Trackmania's. GI means more photorealistic graphics.

You guys are throwing "gi" around with no idea how these games avhieve it. Every one of those games aproximates Global Illumination in some way. Be it through lightmaps, evironment probes, SSAO, screenspace reflections, irradiance volumes or whatever. All those games use some combination of these techniches in varrying degrees of precision. "this game has gi" "this one don't" is just meaningless.
Trackmania's is baked. There's none in GTS.

I don't know if it's cherry picking, but i found these pics on Gaf :
Clearly, it's one of the weakness of F7
The first one doesnt look too bad, though still not great, the other 2 though are hilarious, Im pretty sure the last racer I tried (over a decade ago) had better vegetation than that, I'm gonna have to download forza 7 myself and see, I assume they've just turned all the graphics quality things down to low in the settings, theres no way its really that bad

The first one doesnt look too bad, though still not great, the other 2 though are hilarious, Im pretty sure the last racer I tried (over a decade ago) had better vegetation than that, I'm gonna have to download forza 7 myself and see, I assume they've just turned all the graphics quality things down to low in the settings, theres no way its really that bad

The first one is from GTS.

The pics of F7 are from the Xbox One version.

GTS has no GI and its urban environments look less realistic than Trackmania's. GI means more photorealistic graphics.

Trackmania's is baked. There's none in GTS.
explain what you mean by gi, and how the games that do have it achieve it. Because the term GI is much less specific than you seem to use it as.
No GI whatsoever, strictly speaking, would mean pitch black shadows. Even an ugly constant solid-color ambient term can be considered a over-simplified form of GI, one that GT surpasses by the way.

explain what you mean by gi, and how the games that do have it achieve it. Because the term GI is much less specific than you seem to use it as.
No GI whatsoever, strictly speaking, would mean pitch black shadows. Even an ugly constant solid-color ambient term can be considered a over-simplified form of GI, one that GT surpasses by the way.
There's no need to be obtuse. GI means the same thing that has meant since the term was introduced to gaming: indirect/bounced diffuse lighting.

But I must admit I exaggerated. The tracks in GT have some low res baked GI. The environments at large though, do not. For example:

https://www.gtplanet.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/GT-Sport-TokyoExpressway_East_1455.jpg

Trackmania's lighting on the other hand is completely consistent. Hopefully one day GT's will be too.

This is how Trackmania looks on console :

Indeed, Polyphony really needs to learn :

Minimal environment, relies mostly on IBL, 30fps. Impressive indeed... and completely irrelevant to the point.

BTW, unlike the video you posted, TT is 1080p@60fps on PS4:

Minimal environment, relies mostly on IBL, 30fps. Impressive indeed... and completely irrelevant to the point.

There's no difference between gameplay and replay (only motion blur is added).

But my point is clear : you have unrealistic expectations on console. Unless you can name a single 1080p/60fps racing game with better lighting than GTS.

A less empty environment but less similar to that of the Canyon in Trackmania Turbo :

There's no difference between gameplay and replay (only motion blur is added).

But my point is clear : you have unrealistic expectations on console. Unless you can name a single 1080p/60fps racing game with better lighting than GTS.

A less empty environment but less similar to that of the Canyon in Trackmania Turbo :

I already did, Trackmania Turbo. Baked GI is much more consistent than GTS's.

GTS lighting looks much better than Trackmania.

095Cb6.png

693buA.png

HHX2rF.png

7aMx4T.png

OK those pictures look nuts, I'm about to jump into the beta in less than two hours anyway and see for myself just how good it really looks with HDR, WCG and 4k CBR. The menu and rolling background feeds are already god like in lighting.

Because I can't edit my posts:

Compare environment lighting to the Trackmania Lagoon video I posted. It's pretty bad.
The maturity of your posts, in my opinion, correlate well with your privileges as a poster.

If you want people to take your discussion seriously, and this goes to anyone, stop trying to blast your opinion as fact and start discussing qualitative observations. When your posts are "this is garbage, that is garbage, this has none of that, everyone is stupid for not seeing my point of view".

You've set yourself up to be ignored, the quality of your posts don't show you're interested in discussing anything, just interested in trolling and drive by bashing. There are tons of other forums you can do that on

Back