Car game comparisons *hit & run*

Lots of pop-in in battlefront, but I prefer it to the consistency of the cardboard trees in racing games. I'm kind of curious how Battlefront/Battlefield compare to racing games ... racing games probably have much larger overall play area, but restricted to a predictable track route. You can also travel faster in racing games, though those speeder bikes move at a good clip.

Lots of pop-in in battlefront, but I prefer it to the consistency of the cardboard trees in racing games. I'm kind of curious how Battlefront/Battlefield compare to racing games ... racing games probably have much larger overall play area, but restricted to a predictable track route. You can also travel faster in racing games, though those speeder bikes move at a good clip.
yea, likely a lot less happening overall on speeders etc.
Lots of things happening on the car models themselves, physics etc. But the speeders on BF look great. They invested a lot of their horsepower on the environments there (compared to the racers, where a lot of horsepower is on the cars). It's also 720p and 900p respectively, whereas these racing games are still holding 1080p

hmmm racing between trees.....

Watching this again, LucasArts did such a great job with capturing the imagination here. The sounds of the way the speeders hoot through the trees is something unexpectedly awesome.

yea, likely a lot less happening overall on speeders etc.
Lots of things happening on the car models themselves, physics etc. But the speeders on BF look great. They invested a lot of their horsepower on the environments there (compared to the racers, where a lot of horsepower is on the cars). It's also 720p and 900p respectively, whereas these racing games are still holding 1080p

True. Maybe racers shouldn't be 1080p on x1/ps4.

True. Maybe racers shouldn't be 1080p on x1/ps4.
Since it's mostly landscape, vertical res is still important. I'd at least wonder about reconstruction methods along with 2xMSAA with anamorphic aspect ratio if they were going to go the route of lowering shaded pixel count.

Being 60fps would be that much better for temporal reconstruction as well.

I don't know if it's cherry picking, but i found these pics on Gaf :

tQUX9wb.png

1507112416-04-10-2017-10-56-44.png

1507121452-04-10-2017-14-30-26.png

Clearly, it's one of the weakness of F7

Makes me wonder if those are the same assets on X or PC for that matter

Usually, they don't change those kind of things... The X version will likely only get better textures, AF, shadows and LOD. Same thing for the PC version.

Need For Speed: Who Gives a Shit is 1080/30 on PS4 and Xbox One, unfortunately. Was kind of hoping for 900p/60 so we could compare directly to real racing sims.

Forza's lighting sucks, what a surprise. If PD and Turn10 apply themselves maybe one day they'll be able to match Trackmania's lighting

Trackmania Turbo has worse lighting than both games on console.

And it doesn't look better than this in my opinion :

Also :

i1n3RgyMRerQLhB.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of bloom != better lighting. No GI on GTS, static or otherwise. As a result, environments, as I've stated before, look like garbage.

Forza 7's doesn't even make the cut with its terrible handling of HDR.

You guys are throwing "gi" around with no idea how these games avhieve it. Every one of those games aproximates Global Illumination in some way. Be it through lightmaps, evironment probes, SSAO, screenspace reflections, irradiance volumes or whatever. All those games use some combination of these techniches in varrying degrees of precision. "this game has gi" "this one don't" is just meaningless.

Back