Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

Does GT Sports really look like this?

Hopefully this changes until release but in my point of view this is outdated even for a racing game.

Does GT Sports really look like this?

Hopefully this changes until release but in my point of view this is outdated even for a racing game.

GT fictional track assets are just bland. Graphically it's a nice step up from other 60fps racers; even Driveclub can look worse in comparison. Hopefully they polish up some stuff before release though to make it more consistent.

GTS
iwojue.png

fwhods.png

DC
sapkss.png

Forza 6
cgagqq.png

pcars
itfxga.png

Tokyo track looks flat. The buildings are like cardboard boxes. I noticed that too in first seconds of driving there. But apart from that it's very good.

Dragon Tail track is also fictional, and it also visually looks very bland. Thankfully, the track layout is excellent and very fun for driving.

Real tracks [Brands Hatch, Willow Springs and Nirburgring] all look much better.

Dragon Tail track is also fictional, and it also visually looks very bland. Thankfully, the track layout is excellent and very fun for driving.

Real tracks [Brands Hatch, Willow Springs and Nirburgring] all look much better.

It baffles me Dragon's Tail has worse trees than on Nurburgring.

jujetw.gif

GT fictional track assets are just bland. Graphically it's a nice step up from other 60fps racers; even Driveclub can look worse in comparison. Hopefully they polish up some stuff before release though to make it more consistent.

I do not want to rate this game down. The feeling of driving is once again great even with a gamepad. But where is it gorgeous looking what some news sites wanted to tell me? Impressive is the graphics of games like BATTLEFRONT, The Division, Uncharted 4, Horizon or upcoming games like Battlefront 2, Death Stranding etc.

DRIVECLUB has half the framerate but the PlayStation 4 Pro is more than twice as fast with 30% more CPU clock and even 500-1000 MB more VRAM. The development time should also not be forgotten. DRIVECLUBs graphics should actually be possible on the PlayStation 4 Pro.

If this BETA already has Pro support I would be disappointed. Then I do not want to know how bad it looks on the standard PlayStation 4. I do not think it supports the PlayStation 4 Pro because I see nothing which would not be possible on the standard console. Certainly not in the picture quality. Graphically, I think it is only just over Forza Motorsport 6 and sometimes also below. Not something I would expect from an internally highly regarded Sony studio.

My order in the beta (route graphics):
1. Willow Springs Raceway
2. Brands Hatch Raceway
3. Nürburgring Nordschleife
4. Oval one (do not know the name)
5. Dragon Trail

The shadows are often loaded too late into the game world and therefore the lighting is flat. The development team should aim for a lower resolution and better effects. CR_1800p does not help much if the game looks static as in GT5 PlayStation 3 times. Game assets such as trees and grasses do not move at all. I could also not see tire tracks and smoke. I would be for 1080p with better AA, shadow, object details etc. In comparison F1 looks much more lively and filled. And that is by a team which had a much smaller Budget.

Last edited:
I do not want to rate this game down. The feeling of driving is once again great even with a gamepad. But where is it gorgeous looking what some news sites wanted to tell me? Impressive is the graphics of games like BATTLEFRONT, The Division, Uncharted 4, Horizon or upcoming games like Battlefront 2, Death Stranding etc.

DRIVECLUB has half the framerate but the PlayStation 4 Pro is more than twice as fast with 30% more CPU clock and even 500-1000 MB more VRAM. The development time should also not be forgotten. DRIVECLUBs graphics should actually be possible on the PlayStation 4 Pro.

If this BETA already has Pro support I would be disappointed. Then I do not want to know how bad it looks on the standard PlayStation 4. I do not think it supports the PlayStation 4 Pro because I see nothing which would not be possible on the standard console. Certainly not in the picture quality. Graphically, I think it is only just over Forza Motorsport 6 and sometimes also below. Not something I would expect from an internally highly regarded Sony studio.

2. Brands Hatch Raceway
5. Dragon Trail

The shadows are often loaded too late into the game world and therefore the lighting is flat. The development team should aim for a lower resolution and better effects. CR_1800p does not help much if the game looks static as in GT5 PlayStation 3 times. Game assets such as trees and grasses do not move at all. I could also not see tire tracks and smoke. I would be for 1080p with better AA, shadow, object details etc. In comparison F1 looks much more lively and filled. And that is by a team which had a much smaller Budget.

No PS4 Pro improvement

2. Brands Hatch Raceway
5. Dragon Trail

I don't think it works like that so easily. The game is programmed with it running at 60fps/1080p on a normal PS4 in mind first and foremost, by going Driveclub's route you gonna have to do volumetric lighting, volumetric cloud sim, shadow casting headlights, an order of magnitude more track details such as 3d moving foliage, real time weather, self shadowing POM, more advanced SSR, higher res textures all around, yeah not unless you downgrade the OG PS4 to 1080/30 first or 720/60. The Pro could only CB to 2160p or 1800p with some high AF or slight improvement on some textures at best while maintaining 60fps. Or on a separate visual mode adding more higher res texture, better LOD, more AF, slightly more foliage, more smoke while running 1080p/60 at best. No way it's gonna add fundamentally different graphics features like the aforementioned features from DC.
This is what a mid gen upgrade really is, you are forever bounded by the bread and butter crowd (peasant PS4/Xbone crowd :)), the fundamental features have to work with them first and foremost then scale up from there. Even more so challenging with a 60fps title such as this.

60fps racers on current gen consoles look like garbage (forza, gt, whatever). The cars look pretty nice, but the environments are awful. They should take the performance improvement from PS4 Pro and Scorpio and use it purely for upgrading the environment. If they could make the trees and the rough on the side of the road even look moderately better it would be a massive improvement.

I don't think it works like that so easily. The game is programmed with it running at 60fps/1080p on a normal PS4 in mind first and foremost, by going Driveclub's route you gonna have to do volumetric lighting, volumetric cloud sim, shadow casting headlights, an order of magnitude more track details such as 3d moving foliage, real time weather, self shadowing POM, more advanced SSR, higher res textures all around, yeah not unless you downgrade the OG PS4 to 1080/30 first or 720/60. The Pro could only CB to 2160p or 1800p with some high AF or slight improvement on some textures at best while maintaining 60fps. Or on a separate visual mode adding more higher res texture, better LOD, more AF, slightly more foliage, more smoke while running 1080p/60 at best. No way it's gonna add fundamentally different graphics features like the aforementioned features from DC.
This is what a mid gen upgrade really is, you are forever bounded by the bread and butter crowd (peasant PS4/Xbone crowd :)), the fundamental features have to work with them first and foremost then scale up from there. Even more so challenging with a 60fps title such as this.

I guess the Driveclub would run at 45 fps with an unlocked framerate. I see nothing which could not perform with 60fps on the Pro. Even the BATTLEFRONT (Speederbike section) has 60fps and that even more dense (with more pop ups).

So, I'm in the beta for this and to my eyes it doesn't look so bad in motion.

There are of course some questionable assets used in some of the backgrounds, but mostly it looks nice. The lighting in particular in very impressive.

First Porsche Gameplay / Replay

Mod: Gif removed because animated gifs are against the rules! zed raises a good point now about mobile plans, so still no excuses for big gifs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back