Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could use a RX 480, that gets 5.2 up to 5.9 teraflops with Boost. Close enough.

If anything it will be underpowered compared to Scorpio, accounting BW too. Probably not a bad idea for developers to aim a bit low rather than have to cut back later.

They could use a RX 480, that gets 5.2 up to 5.9 teraflops with Boost. Close enough.

If anything it will be underpowered compared to Scorpio, accounting BW too. Probably not a bad idea for developers to aim a bit low rather than have to cut back later.

Might there be engineering samples of the CPU and GPU that can be used?
Not a apu yet but assuming they are heavily based on an upcoming PC configuration then they may be able to get close with sample of hardware for key teams.

IIRC MS and Sony will provide a discreet GPU to insert into their PCs.

I don't think they require developers to go out and procure their own hardware. It might end up being too suspicious and would lead to unwanted leaks about the power of their hardware.

Tapatalk enables auto follow users by default. SMH

Does Sony or MS allow devs to piecemeal together a dev kit? I thought u just buy a dev kit which comes with the hardware and software. Alpha coming with non final or off the shelf PC parts and beta versions having near final to final configs.

From the same interview, maybe not Zen, but it seems like Jaguar isn't going to be the CPU of the Scorpio.

"We'd looked at doing something that was higher performance this year, and I'd say the [PS4] Pro is about what we thought--with the GPU, CPU, memory that was here this year--that you could go do, and we decided that we wanted to do something different."

If Zen is in it, then it is a whole new ballgame. The difference between that and PS4Pro will go from substantial to massive.

If Zen is in it, then it is a whole new ballgame. The difference between that and PS4Pro will go from substantial to massive.

I'm also guessing will see a lower clocked Vega 11 (RX 580) equivalent for the GPU as well. This would almost certainly mean a $499 price tag, no?

They could simply use a RX 480 with third-party cooling, factory overclock and custom BIOS to avoid boosts. At 1.3GHz the RX 480 is doing 5.99 TFLOPs.
But I think the Scorpio is probably going to have 48 ROPs for a 384bit bus, so there would always be a bandwidth and fillrate deficit, which will probably be very important for 4K.

They could simply use a RX 480 with third-party cooling, factory overclock and custom BIOS to avoid boosts. At 1.3GHz the RX 480 is doing 5.99 TFLOPs..

A 1.3GHz overclock? I really don't see Microsoft going with that for Scorpio. I'm more inclined to believe that they will go with the speculated Vega 11 (7TFlop RX 580 GPU) with a lower clock.

A 1.3GHz overclock? I really don't see Microsoft going with that for Scorpio. I'm more inclined to believe that they will go with the speculated Vega 11 (7TFlop RX 580 GPU) with a lower clock.

Not for the console, for early development kits to simulate Project Scorpio to some extent. Similar to how many companies used Nvidia graphics cards to simulate the performance of PS4/XBO prior to actual hardware being handed out.

Regards,
SB

Yup, we were talking about early devkits in PC form, meaning they'd have to use whatever is currently available and closest to future hardware.

They could also use a R9 390X. It's older hardware, but effective bandwidth and fillrate is still quite a bit more than the RX 480's. Proof of that is how a 390X is consistently faster in 4K.

It was kind of a funny coincidence to note that the GDC2015 presentation "Advances in tiled rendering" used a 290X for 4K benchmarks with clustered.

Interesting article on Scorpio and UWP
http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio

* Scorpio wasn't intended to be revealed at E3 but leaks changed it.
* Scorpio has a Xbox One mode on the hardware level (maybe similar to PS4 Pro disabling half the GPU for PS4 mode--my speculation)
* Games are already written with Scorpio dev kits.

Was just reading this. Treasure trove of info.

Pretty much confirms speculations that Scorpio games will be UWP PC games tuned for Scorpio.

This unification of a dev platform between Xbox and PC pretty much means every game that will be intended for Xbox will be available on Windows Store as a PC game. Has to be a little concerning to Valve.

Nice link. Interesting speculation on the Project Scorpio. Will be cool to see if it pans out.

Was disappointed about the cancellation of the Xbox streaming stick. Hopefully it returns. Was trying to get something just like it & now I'm thinking of just getting another Xbox One instead.

Tommy McClain

Interesting article on Scorpio and UWP
http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio

* Scorpio wasn't intended to be revealed at E3 but leaks changed it.
* Scorpio has a Xbox One mode on the hardware level (maybe similar to PS4 Pro disabling half the GPU for PS4 mode--my speculation)
* Games are already written with Scorpio dev kits.
Mmrnmhrm

Scorpio containing esram would validate my earlier prediction! yesss do it! I don't even care if it's wrong for the console! I just want my random dart board to be right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back